PDA

View Full Version : Fraser River tracks

lapadat
08-30-2006, 05:11 PM
I was out scouting today on the Fraser with my Yellow Lab. I found a sweet little honey hole for ducks/geese, some deer tracks and some half-decent sized bear tracks.

Has anyone deer hunted on the islands?

Lapadat

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_641.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3021&size=big&cat=500)

Steeleco
08-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Which Island?, I think most of them are restricted in someway. I've seen lots of deer on Herrling Island but don't think your allowed to hunt them?

hoochie
08-30-2006, 06:24 PM
I have also seen deer tracks on some of the islands.. came across them while fishing. I had to go "P" and noticed a bunch of tracks and signs they had been eating. Have yet to actually see any on the islands, but signs are good.

lip_ripper00
08-30-2006, 06:59 PM
I was talking to a CO here in Surrey a year ago, and asked this same question.I was told they have reciently been put in to the park systeme their for no shooting I was looking at Douglas Island, huge medow in the center, has to be something hanging around!

Radar
08-30-2006, 07:03 PM
I think some of the island are IR on the fraser, but not sure which ones.

~T-BONE~
08-30-2006, 07:42 PM
I think some of the island are IR on the fraser, but not sure which ones.

:confused: sorry not sure what you mean by that?

Jelvis
08-30-2006, 07:44 PM
lapadat, thats a quality picture reminds me when I lived in the valley and went to the Fraser. Lots of tracks of different animals in a small space very good, if you don't mind what camera were you using and how much would a person pay for it. Is the camera self focusing? If you will.

Radar
08-30-2006, 08:02 PM
images/smilies/confused.gif sorry not sure what you mean by that?

I think some of the Islands on the river are Indian Reserve? Not 100% sure though....

~T-BONE~
08-30-2006, 08:11 PM
:oops: that one blew over me head!!!!!!!!
Lil rip - This is the first i've heard.. Are the CO's enforcing this? Is it actual public knowledge? I do believe that there is a few here on this site that put some time out after the elusive blacktail!

Jetboater
08-30-2006, 08:58 PM
T-bone tight lip it buddy, let them think that all the isl. are forbidden:smile:

lapadat
08-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Jelvis,

My camera is a Canon PowerShot A85 - 4.0 Megapixels. I turned the flash off to get the picture to appear more natural...almost black/white.

I believe it costs around $350 at Costco. The camera takes wonderful pictures. Yes, it is self focusing. I don't see it on the Canon website anymore - looks like they've discontinued it.

Lapadat

Dano
08-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Douglas Island is closed, check your special area regs (ok, not closed to hunting, just a shooting bylaw from a municipality). I hunted out there a few times back in the 70's as my father and I were part of a group that put up wood duck nesting boxes and set up a canada goose pen when our highly successful goose project was started. It was a perk we got once a season, twice one year.
There is a large marsh in the middle. The Island was used by Canfor VIP's for hunting and there was a cabin for overnighters. The marsh was maybe knee deep at the most, there were 3 or 4 excellent blinds with benches and gun rests etc.. There were decoys out there and we we would walk out with just our guns, ammo, and lunch. Lots of big mallards out there!
There were some nice deer around but the Canfor guys decided to stop shooting them and had a self imposed "No hunting deer" rule (there were some nice racks and pictures of bucks in the clubhouse). We also shot a few red foxes with a 22 when I was out there hanging nesting boxes!
Last I heard, either Port Coquitlam or Surrey had gotten Douglas Island into their municipality and had included it in their "No Shooting" areas....
There are a lot of huntable islands on the Fraser though, a lot are either private or Indian reserves.......
Dano

I was talking to a CO here in Surrey a year ago, and asked this same question.I was told they have reciently been put in to the park systeme their for no shooting I was looking at Douglas Island, huge medow in the center, has to be something hanging around!

hoochie
08-31-2006, 08:57 PM
:confused: sorry not sure what you mean by that?

Translation:
No trespassing.

lip_ripper00
08-31-2006, 11:00 PM
[quote=Dano]Douglas Island is closed, check your special area regs (ok, not closed to hunting, just a shooting bylaw from a municipality). cool incouraging news.I was told no hunting at all as I was interisted in bow hunting on the Island will make another call tomorrow to find out ether way. cheers

Fred
09-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Steve, I have been thinking along similar lines. Closed to the
Discharge of Firearms isn't the same as No Hunting.
I also heard years ago from a much older hunter that the upper Fraser islands became a sanctuary of sorts for the deer when they became harrassed by the hunters too much. When the pressure got to them they would swim out to the islands and hide out till the shooting stopped. I should image that this pattern still holds true but I do not know the current status of ant of these islands. Fred