PDA

View Full Version : Which recurve to get?

Tomanik2700
07-27-2011, 02:03 AM
Hello everyone, as the title suggests I will be getting a recurve bow for hunting and am wondering which one would be best? I'd like to keep it under 500$ and I really like solid wood construction if at all possible/viable. I am comfortable with any poundage but I'd like it to shoot heavy grain arrows at reliable speeds for hunting. Is it possible to hunt for elk or caribou with a recurve?

Cheers,

Cole

P.S My newbie joke

Two guys are out hunting deer. The first guy says, "Did you see that?"

"No," the second guy says.

"Well, a bald eagle just flew overhead," the first guy says.

"Oh," says the second guy.

A couple of minutes later, The first guy says, "Did you see that?"

"See what?" the second guy asks.

"Are you blind? There was a big, black bear walking on that hill, over there."

"Oh."

A few minutes later the first guy says: "Did you see that?"

By now, the second guy is getting aggravated, so he says, "Yes, I did!"

And the first guy says: "Then why did you step in it?"

E.B.
07-27-2011, 06:36 AM
The samick stingray is a fast, quiet,great shooting bow for only 250 bucks. Chekmate TD hunter is also a great bow built here in BC

pse&remington
07-27-2011, 09:41 AM
the samick also brakes in two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFkgswaKsVQ

Bow Walker
07-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Check out the.....and the dollar difference is really good right now.

PSE Coyote recurve. Available in right or left hand and weights of 40, 45, 50, 55, 60 lbs. $260.00 USD

Martin Howat Hunter recurve nad it is also available in various weights. $470.00 USD

Martin Jaguar - various weights and is only USD $140.00

Martin X159 recurve - USD $250.00

E.B.
07-27-2011, 04:39 PM
the samick also brakes in two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFkgswaKsVQ

would you not drive a ford because one broke! Kind of silly dont you think?

greybark
07-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Used Chek-Mate TD 2 recurve , Don`t know enough about the newer TD 3 with no used ones on the market yet .
Cheers

3rdprizeyourfired
07-27-2011, 10:34 PM
I 2nd the PSE Coyote, solid bow, TD, mines 45 lb, nice piece of kit, I might add that I have a few recurve and long bows and practice X 10 will make the bows shoot well, recurves take time and dedication.

Tomanik2700
07-29-2011, 02:57 PM
thanks so much for the many responses. i really like the chekmate one pieces, has anyone used any?

J_T
07-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Only one bow to get. Chek Mate Take down Hunter. At a gathering of traditional shooters in BC, over 90% of the shooters choose Chek mate. Gotta be a reason. Performance and durability.

Tomanik2700
07-29-2011, 04:35 PM
k thanks J_T it has sealed the deal, ill be ordering it fairly soon!

Bowzone_Mikey
07-29-2011, 07:39 PM
checkmates are great bows ....

however the industry standard is Black widow ... those are sweeet! but pricey

Tomanik2700
07-30-2011, 12:37 AM
if i had a g note i would S:

J_T
07-30-2011, 06:21 AM
No doubt the Black Widow is a great bow. Super accurate & great speed relative to poundage, but he said he wanted to keep his price around $500. Can't do that with a BW.
checkmates are great bows ....

however the industry standard is Black widow ... those are sweeet! but pricey

mcrae
07-30-2011, 07:06 AM
I am shooting a Chek Mate Crusader long bow these days. Its my first non recurve but I am enjoying it. Anybody know if a guy can buy new Chek Mate bows?

Backcountry archer
07-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Is it possible to hunt for elk or caribou with a recurve?

Absolutley............practice, practice, practice.

The Hermit
07-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Used Chek-Mate TD 2 recurve , Don`t know enough about the newer TD 3 with no used ones on the market yet .
Cheers

I second that... ALL of the guys in my hunting circle hunt with Chek-Mate bows. The TD Hunter 2 is an awesome bow and at 50 - 60 pounds will fling 600gr arrows through and through an elk at thirty yards like a hot knife through butter!

The Hermit
07-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Yep VantagePoint Outfitters just got the nod to sell them! I'll be getting the website updated this month. In the mean time shoot me a PM with your requirements and I'll get pricing / availability to you with in a few days.

Backcountry archer
07-30-2011, 08:42 AM
"Montana bows" are a work of art although a little more than you would like to spend?? This guy builds each bow himself with great attention to detail.
"Black mountain bows" have some real nice ones and pretty good prices too.
I bought a bow blank from "Dryad bows" for a good price and was able to finish it myself for my own custom fit. It turned out great and I love it. They also sell finished bows, but the price goes way up.http://montanabows.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=71

http://www.dryadbows.com/price/price.htm

Backcountry archer
07-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Yep VantagePoint Outfitters just got the nod to sell them! I'll be getting the website updated this month. In the mean time shoot me a PM with your requirements and I'll get pricing / availability to you with in a few days.

I just took a look at the "Empress mountain longbows" on your site. Ive heard a lot of good things about Bob Walczak and his bows. They look really impresive as well.
A bowyer right out of Victoria.:grin: B.C. homegrown really sparks my interest :wink:

greybark
07-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Six years ago I won one of Bob` longbows at a TBBC CH and was empressed (pun intended) with the workmanship , design and shootability .
Cheers

The Hermit
07-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Bob makes beautiful bows to be sure... I LOVE mine (pictured http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/VantagePoint.sites2/Longbows.html) He custom make them with your choice of woods and veneers, length and draw weights! And they are very reasonably priced for a custom hand made bow!

Coyote
07-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Re: Chekmate vs Black Widow. I have both. The BW is a fine bow no doubt but my Chek mate is smoother and shoots within 3fps of the BW. It has the worlds best warranty too. The CM is my go to bow. Don't let hype or advertising make your mind up. I've also shot Border recurves from Scotland and they blew the doors off anything I've shot in nearly 50 years. They are a bit pricy oh what a sweet bow.

'yote

greybark
07-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Hey Tomanik, The most important aspect of any bow is it`s shootability(forgivness). The main factor affecting this is Riser design . Some riser points to consider are
(1) a comfortable and natural grip , (2) Length of riser to fadeouts on limb , (3) weight of riser and (4) most important having a Deflex design .(like the Olympic Bows).
Longbows with a Reflex riser are generaly faster than a normal longbow but less forgiving . The faster speed is the result of the arrow being on the string slightly longer .
Cheers

Grantmac
08-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Re: Chekmate vs Black Widow. I have both. The BW is a fine bow no doubt but my Chek mate is smoother and shoots within 3fps of the BW. It has the worlds best warranty too. The CM is my go to bow. Don't let hype or advertising make your mind up. I've also shot Border recurves from Scotland and they blew the doors off anything I've shot in nearly 50 years. They are a bit pricy oh what a sweet bow.

'yote

I've got a set of Border limbs on my recurve, they are absolutely amazing! Of course they are also damn pricey.

-Grant