PDA

View Full Version : The test of a real hunter ....if we took away your quad/truck =and were dropped off

grizzlydueck
07-27-2011, 01:03 AM
into an undriveable area ! Would you know, how to walk quietly-track-read sign-or be willing and able to follow a game trail for hundreds of yards-or succesfully still hunt ?-or set up an ambush spot ? -using the wind and sun and terrain to your advantage ! Be able to debone and pack out a kill ? And If you could accomplish this with a mature animal! WOW ! How Confident and proud would you feel ? Have any of you ever tried this ! There must be some hunters who have this kind of experience ! And some that would have this dream hunt on thier bucket list !
If there is interest in this kind of HUNTING =there are some of us still out there, who do this each and every year ! And we are the ones that live for road closers ! Please protect our road closers !If you check out my gallery = the proofs in the pudding ! They are excellent places to hunt!
I teach tracking, hunting and wilderness survival classes and would like to meet like minded people ! Would like to hear your stories and thoughts !
CHEERS ! GRIZZ...

hunter1947
07-27-2011, 03:59 AM
I have done this method a number of times and have had very good luck doing it I like setting up just off the game trail in black timber and waiting for the game to pass by..

I also like the walk and stop and glass and look when I am in the quite black timber many times I find the animal bedded down and then I have the advantage over this animal when I find it....

5 spike
07-27-2011, 05:10 AM
i love gates, and deactivated roads. 90 percent of the time the area is all yours. and i like road hunters they stay out of these areas. i love to slowly walk in to these areas and stop and look a while then walk a bit more glass and glass. one of these areas i hunt is not very big maybe 2 clicks in total you can hunt this area all day and see deer all day.

07-27-2011, 06:10 AM
I would be careful about classifying road hunters as not being real hunters. People hunt the way they do for a variety of reasons, some might not have the time for extended backpack hunts, some might not have the money, some might just be too old to climb mountains. That doesn't mean they don't have basic hunting skills like tracking, reading the wind and sign, etc. You don't need road closures either, I hunted the high country for many years for goats, sheep and mulies in heavily roaded areas with no closures and rarely ever ran into other hunters.

5 spike
07-27-2011, 06:28 AM
i road hunt many times a season one of my boys is handicapped and cant walk long distances. he loves getting out with me in the bush and i love road hunting with him. road hunting can be very useful in finding new areas and game.

Fisher-Dude
07-27-2011, 06:54 AM
I have a friend who will turn 80 next month. He has a pace-maker, and can't get too far from the truck these days. He takes his disabled grandson out hunting as often as possible, and the two of them have a great time and shoot deer, moose, and grouse. He taught me a LOT when I was a young hunter, and was there when I shot my first deer.

He's a better hunter than the wannabe braggart that started this thread, hands down. In all ways.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Traditional.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/ElkHunt.jpg

Gateholio
07-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Lucky that the true test isn't the proper way to spell CLOSURE!!!

;)

hunter1947
07-27-2011, 07:15 AM
I have a friend who will turn 80 next month. He has a pace-maker, and can't get too far from the truck these days. He takes his disabled grandson out hunting as often as possible, and the two of them have a great time and shoot deer, moose, and grouse. He taught me a LOT when I was a young hunter, and was there when I shot my first deer.

He's a better hunter than the wannabe braggart that started this thread, hands down. In all ways.

Pat I like them picture very http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.png.....

M.Dean
07-27-2011, 07:48 AM
On the news last night there was 7 kids from Alaska that took a Survival and First Aid course, then headed into the back Country. Then they ran into a Grizzly Bear that torn the hell out of all of them! They said if not for there recent training, there would have been a few of the boys that may have died from there injuries! So, your course in Survival is a great thing for people who do plan on going for hikes or hunting trips in remote area's!

moose2
07-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Personally I have taken many animals in the way that you have described. I love to hunt this way, but I don't think asking for more road closures is a good idea. I feel there is plenty of opportunity in BC to get off the road for those who want to. Asking for more road closures may only mess up the hunters that don't want to hunt in this way. You mentioned how good the hunting is in these unaccesable areas , the reason for that is because of roads. If everyone was forced to hunt the way you like to your success may go down as more hunters use the areas your in. I am ok leaving things the way they are. I also agree with the members on here about many people having alot of hunting skills and knowlege no matter what there chosen method of hunting is.
Mike

Big Lew
07-27-2011, 08:47 AM
I both road hunt and hike into areas well away from any vehicle access. Stop and think a moment....were there very few, or no roads available for hunting, how would you get close enough to areas that offer good "hike-in" hunting? The phenomenon we're experiencing over the last few years of logging road re-claimation and vehicle closure areas is providing many, many areas for those that would rather hike in to hunt. I hunt many of these areas, and very seldom see another soul. Some are very extensive logged-off areas encompassing multiple mountainous hillsides right up close to sub-alpine and have some fantastic hunting opportunities.
I totally agree with the posts from "6616", "Fisher Dude", and "moose2". I have taken survival courses, am confident in my hunting and tracking ability, and do love to hike into areas away from the "masses", but most certainly would not try to take away, or reduce hunting opportunities from others.....do you think you're being fair, when there are already so many areas available to you?

07-27-2011, 09:08 AM
into an undriveable area ! Would you know, how to walk quietly-track-read sign-or be willing and able to follow a game trail for hundreds of yards-or succesfully still hunt ?-or set up an ambush spot ? -using the wind and sun and terrain to your advantage ! Be able to debone and pack out a kill ? And If you could accomplish this with a mature animal! WOW ! How Confident and proud would you feel ? Have any of you ever tried this ! There must be some hunters who have this kind of experience ! And some that would have this dream hunt on thier bucket list !
If there is interest in this kind of HUNTING =there are some of us still out there, who do this each and every year ! And we are the ones that live for road closers ! Please protect our road closers !If you check out my gallery = the proofs in the pudding ! They are excellent places to hunt!
I teach tracking, hunting and wilderness survival classes and would like to meet like minded people ! Would like to hear your stories and thoughts !
CHEERS ! GRIZZ...

I hunt with a packpack on 90% of the time. In fact I leave for my Stone sheep hunt in a couple days and will spend 2 weeks a long distance from the nearest road.

Having said that, I think your post is arrogant and judgemental. I also road hunt from time to time. Sometimes it can be the most effective way to fill the freezer.

Just think about what would happen to your secret little back-of-the-mountain areas if everybody hunted like you....they wouldn't be such excellent places to hunt anymore, would they?

Steeleco
07-27-2011, 09:16 AM
I road hunt, on the way to the places I walk!!! Just another form of division between us hunters. Yesterday it was over yotes, today roads?? What next?

steel_ram
07-27-2011, 09:26 AM
I gave up on ATV's when they started to become common. Now I park and walk everywhere. When I'm driving the rifle is secure in the back. This is what I like and how I get the most satisfaction out of hunting. To each there own as long as it doesn't tread on someone elses enjoyment.

rocksteady
07-27-2011, 09:32 AM
What you describe in teh very first post is how I prefer to hunt....That's just me...Not for all....

Adding more road closures are not going to help the hunting community....

Foxton Gundogs
07-27-2011, 09:35 AM

NICE!!! As a young guy we used to have a game where we had to stalk game and after we spooked it we would pace off the distance from where we were busted to the place the game spooked. My personal best was 15 ft on a 4x4 whitetail. That was when I was younger with 2 good ankles. We all get old and most of us do stupid things when we think we are indistructable(my vice was jumping off a horse at 25 miles an hr and trying to throw a 700 lb steer in ite back lol) Now I hunt from horse back a quad or a truck, but I guess I can't say I "hunt" cuz apparently I'm not a REAL hunter.

Islander
07-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Grizzlydueck....yor full of yourself....you must hunt alone alot.

lovemywinchester
07-27-2011, 09:40 AM
If you want to experience your "dream hunt" of stalking and carrying out your kill you don't have to go to Alaska or the Yukon. Just try blacktail hunting. Drop yourself off at the bottom of any mountain near the coast and start hiking up. You will need all the survival skills and fitness you have. Plus after you stagger out of the mountains with your kill you can get yourself a latte and be home in a half hour.

madrona sh
07-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Group hug everyone. Hunt any way you want. Drive, Hike, boat, fly in hunt It's all good.
My biggest thing right now is getting a vid cam for this season because I think we should have more hunting home videos on this site to share with others.

And Jelvis maybe you could do a cameo in one?
As an angry rancher maybe?
Or a bush pilot ?
Sheep guide?
Umm how about a hunting mini series?
Get your agent to pm me.

Cheers

GoatGuy
07-27-2011, 10:14 AM
CHEERS ! GRIZZ...

Hahaha, why debone your ram when you could just load it in the truck whole?????????????

kootenayslam
07-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Sounds like you are a purist, or are you...... do you own binoculars.....gps.....gun.....high end boots........man made calls...ect...ect..ect... or is it all done with a homemade bow and arrow and a set of mocassins.....you see my point.....each to there own but i'd agree getting back it a great experience but not for everyone.

Husky7mm
07-27-2011, 10:39 AM
I like access. I walk and hike every time I hunt, sometimes in very remote country, but I like access. I find road closures confusing. Honkys ripe signs down and go up anyway. If its after 4pm the CO's wont go give em hell anyway. Restrictions congest people. Hunters hunting on top of each other get stupid, that takes the fun out of it. If there were less road closures the game would adjust, and all the hunting skills could still be used. I like access, and when I'm there I walk all day. As for road hunting, I can not tell you how many times I have shot game of the road on route to somewhere. Everybody does at some time "road hunt"

new hunter
07-27-2011, 10:49 AM
my trucks a 2 wheel and I own no atv , so I try and foot hunt as much as possible { so far I have not been succesful that way } . I have taken a lot of small game road hunting , but I feel like I cheat myself of the real experience when I hunt from a vehicle . I mean no disrespect to those that hunt from the road , but it just doesn't seem like the adventure that I envisioned when I got into this sport .
As for being a purist I do own a hand made long bow and hand made arrows , but I desire to foot hunt because it allows me to interact with nature more than road hunting does .

dino
07-27-2011, 10:49 AM
I dont know about others but when in areas with very little or no road closures, you can sure use that to your advantage if you want to. The animals timber up pretty quick when there's traffic and the hiker can really take advantage of that. As for the survival and tracking thing Grizzlyduek is talking about I dont think he's bragging at all. Everyone who go's off the beaten path should have some survival skill training. Just look at how much money is spent each year on search and rescue only to find out the lost people werent even carrying a compass let alone a simple gps unit. Anyone who has ever been lost sure knows the value of some simple training.

newhunterette
07-27-2011, 10:53 AM
I would love to have a hunt where you go back to the days of the pioneers and first nations - always had a hankering to be a wild child so to speak - heck I would live off the grid if I could but since I can't and since I am a "disabled hunterette" I will take my hunting trips as best I can to my abilities (mostly road hunt but on a good day I can do a little hiking). By the way I was a Girl Guide, I learned alot about the outdoors and survival from the organization.:)

Oh I'm just curious, grizzlyduek - do you know that disabled hunters are allowed to apply for permits to drive into certain areas where there are road closures or motorized vehicle bans?

BCBear
07-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Take the truck as far as you can,
then the atv as far as you can,
then your feet as far as you can

Each is a tool to get you a little bit further in and I got no problem with doing it that way.

SHAKER
07-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Hike'n in the back country is an awsome way to hunt. I Do it all the time but I sure don't mind go'n for a little cruise around and gett'n lucky from the truck or quad too. I was prepared for crossing a river and hunt'n my Grizzly up on the slides this spring but ended up smack'n him right off the road! Did it make it less of great hunting trip? (NO) Am I disapointed that it I got my bear that way? (a little) but I'm sure not complaining and definatly was not going to pass him up because it wasn't the "picture perfect expected situation" Closures are very good in area's that justify it (alpine abuse for example) but sure isn't the end all and be all of hunting in B.C.
For the guys that don't get off the truck seat...... Cool more room for us their Griz.

sailpunk
07-27-2011, 12:50 PM
You're all a bunch of wimps. I hunt the only real way. I wear a helmet with a pair of 4 pointers on it and a set of gardening gloves. Then its mano-a-deero. Yeah thats the only real way to do it; antler to antler...

MillBay
07-27-2011, 01:52 PM
"I teach tracking, "

Other than in the snow and in the right area not realistic to track a healthy animal in BC's rough terrain. Been watching survivorman to much. I'm sure some will jump on me for this but I would love to see them prove it. And no a picture is not proof.

FirePower
07-27-2011, 02:40 PM
CHEERS ! GRIZZ...

It seems to me a pretty "Holier than thou" attitude to classify someone who loves the outdoors and to hunt not a real hunter because they can not, or choose not to, shoulder a pack and hike miles. I am very fortunate as I still have all my own joints and they work extreamly well for being used extensively for 65 years. I can still back pack although I choose to do so less now. I road hunt and I have a boat and an atv and use them all. I don't see them as making me less of a hunter but allowing me to be a hunter more often.

I personally think the ultimate hunt is to horse pack into the wild country and to use them to hunt. I have owned horses and have hunted with horse packers/guides and it gives you something no other form of hunting can, the sounds, the smells and the "companionship". To be able to ride within a few yards of a wild animal because they feel no fear, they accept you as "one of their own" it is a thrill every hunter should experience. No I don't use the horse to enable me to take dummy point blank shots but I have some amazing video footage that I would never have had the chance to shoot on foot.

We are all hunter its not something defined by our chosen or forced styles it is something that comes deep within the heart and very soul of an outdoors man.

papaken
07-27-2011, 02:52 PM
The test of a real hunter is, DO YOU HUNT? The method does not make you any better or worse than the others. The morals and ethics you use are what define you as a real hunter. In my 40 yrs of hunting I have used a variety of methods, boots to quads to boats and trucks. Hell when I was young a Volkswagen Bug and an old $50.00 303 and a single shot 12G were my equipment of necessity. Anything that reduces access, reduces all our opportunities and should not be encouraged. If we want hunting to grow and remain available to all we need to stop the division in the ranks. As for grizzlydueck's post it sounds a lot like an advertisement for some sort of classes he runs. If this is the case hopefully he will become a paying sponsor to HBC and if not my apologies.
papaken

Jelvis
07-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Moose by a road for good healthy organic meat but mule deer up on the ridges by hiking up and in......... POW!
When snow on ground I track bucks until I drop or they drop lol.
Jelly ( ground pounder) tracker jacker, up and in I gotta winz don't hurt your shinz
Hienz there's no other kindz :-D jock strop .. flip flop .. zig-zag .. game bag .. winz

07-27-2011, 03:30 PM
The test of a real hunter is to not think he is better then the other. And can sit around a fire with anyone and still learn something.

Caribou_lou
07-27-2011, 04:27 PM
When snow on ground I track bucks until I drop or they drop lol.

Sounds like my November!

jonz
07-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Packing deer out of the bush back to my vehicle is probably the toughest thing I have ever done.

Fishhound
07-27-2011, 05:35 PM
grizzlydueck, I think that you are either arrogant and full of yourself, or your thread is little more than an advertisement

eastkoot
07-27-2011, 05:44 PM
I also know for a fact that the old 80 year old guy FD's referring to hunted with a model 88 with a split stock, wrapped with masking tape and varnished to repair it because it split when he was shooting at an elk after hunting a week in the rain.. AND his 4 power weaver scope front lense was broken. Now thats a hunter!!! You may be the almighty but you never tried to keep up to this guy in the bush, even with a full 1/4 of elk including the hide cause that was just the way he did it.. So if he or anyone else wants to hunt in a different fashion than you, so be it. Your avatar is wrong, you are obviously not "OLD SCHOOL".

Jelvis
07-27-2011, 05:51 PM
A good carpenter never, never blames his tool.

Salty
07-27-2011, 06:48 PM
grimzlybuick, lol, don't worry the guys are starting to shine on yus I've been around here a while I can tell. They're speaking a little gnarly like but you go man you're going to be a big player here. Like some of the other self apointed gurus. Pronouced gurrrr-uh! you gotta foll the r's like the Dahli Lama but a bit more - guru! Say it quick. Or go with the player thing i guess is the new intraweb speak. lol. Good luck up there :-D

Awesome thread.

dino
07-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Maybe if we all keep trashing this guy and he will never come back. Hell, maybe we can keep others away from posting too so there is only the same few guys left on here all having the same point of view. You can always tell most of the narrow minded guys on this site Grizz, "they all have thousands of posts and go where ever the wind is blowing that day" .
If you had a few more guys posting positive comments earlier in the thread, the same guys Im talking about would be posting positive comments also. There's a click on this site bud and your not in it. You need 4-5 thousand more posts and a lot more baglicking to get in.

Salty
07-27-2011, 06:55 PM
dino you are off topic answer the man's question

dino
07-27-2011, 06:58 PM
dino you are off topic answer the man's question

read the whole thread I already did

dana
07-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Don't worry grizz, dino ain't in the 'cool' group either. So you at least have a friend on here. :twisted:

As for answering the question, I do what you're talking about daily for my job. I also do it on the weekends for my hobby. Pretty much a year round passion of mine. But...I really enjoy driving around with my kids in the spring hunting bears and I love driving around in the fall with my kids hunting chickens. And I also like glassin' mountains from the road at the bottom and then making a play on the critters I see. According dino, this is still road hunting and is something I should be ashamed off. ;) There was a time I thought road closures were great. But then I realized a lot of hunters can't physically hunt the way I hunt. If we are going to keep the hunting heritage alive in this great province, we need to start relaxing the rules instead of making more of them.

Salty
07-27-2011, 07:17 PM
. If we are going to keep the hunting heritage alive in this great province, we need to start relaxing the rules instead of making more of them.

I'll agree with you on that one dana

greybark
07-27-2011, 07:21 PM
When they take away the quads are the salt blocks still on them ? LOL
All I would ask for is an extra set of batteries for my pacemaker , would that be allowed ?
Cheers

dino
07-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Don't worry grizz, dino ain't in the 'cool' group either. So you at least have a friend on here. :twisted:

As for answering the question, I do what you're talking about daily for my job. I also do it on the weekends for my hobby. Pretty much a year round passion of mine. But...I really enjoy driving around with my kids in the spring hunting bears and I love driving around in the fall with my kids hunting chickens. And I also like glassin' mountains from the road at the bottom and then making a play on the critters I see. According dino, this is still road hunting and is something I should be ashamed off. ;) There was a time I thought road closures were great. But then I realized a lot of hunters can't physically hunt the way I hunt. If we are going to keep the hunting heritage alive in this great province, we need to start relaxing the rules instead of making more of them.

Hook line and sinker, See what Im talking about grizz. How long did it take for the roaches to show up? The only problem with this one is he just wont go away even when you turn the lights on.

Remington721
07-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Just because you road hunt doesnt mean your not a hunter. Personally I love to road hunt, i think its fun and interesting, when i road hunt i like to see other peoples aniamals especially first time hunters. just my 2 cents

horshur
07-27-2011, 07:28 PM
"Then came the gadgeteer, otherwise known as the sporting-goods dealer. He has draped the American outdoorsman with an infinity of contraptions, all offered as aids to self-reliance, hardihood, woodcraft, or marksmanship, but too often functioning as substitutes for them. Gadgets fill the pockets, they dangle from neck and belt. The overflow fills the auto trunk, and also the trailer. Each item of outdoor equipment grows lighter and often better, but the aggregate poundage becomes tonnage. The traffic in gadgets adds up to astronomical sums, which are soberly published as representing 'the economic value of wildlife.' But what of cultural values?" Aldo Leopold.

http://www.amazon.com/County-Almanac-Outdoor-Essays-Reflections/dp/0345345053

dana
07-27-2011, 07:36 PM
dino,
Suck it up Princess! You come by your grief by your own doing. :twisted: Wannabees and Leaches are pretty much the same critter ain't they?:mrgreen::mrgreen:

dino
07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
"Then came the gadgeteer, otherwise known as the sporting-goods dealer. He has draped the American outdoorsman with an infinity of contraptions, all offered as aids to self-reliance, hardihood, woodcraft, or marksmanship, but too often functioning as substitutes for them. Gadgets fill the pockets, they dangle from neck and belt. The overflow fills the auto trunk, and also the trailer. Each item of outdoor equipment grows lighter and often better, but the aggregate poundage becomes tonnage. The traffic in gadgets adds up to astronomical sums, which are soberly published as representing 'the economic value of wildlife.' But what of cultural values?" Aldo Leopold.

Well said and I still cant believe your steve Dana's Brother.

Weatherby Fan
07-27-2011, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=grizzlydueck;953628]into an undriveable area ! Would you know, how to walk quietly-track-read sign-or be willing and able to follow a game trail for hundreds of yards-or succesfully still hunt ?-or set up an ambush spot ? -using the wind and sun and terrain to your advantage ! Be able to debone and pack out a kill ? And If you could accomplish this with a mature animal! WOW ! How Confident and proud would you feel ? Have any of you ever tried this ! There must be some hunters who have this kind of experience ! And some that would have this dream hunt on thier bucket list !

Been hunting Mule Deer like that for years,if we see a hill/mountain or patch of Alpine we like,the backpacks on and were gone,
When we hunt Elk we do a little more driving to several spots during the day,I find we can cover alot more ground as were on foot for a good part of the day also,no horses or quads here.
WF

Big Lew
07-27-2011, 07:49 PM
"grizzlydueck", in the first half of your thread, you ask (would you know, how to walk quietly-track-read sign-or be willing and able to follow a game trail for hundreds of yards-or succesfully still hunt ?-or set up an ambush spot ? -using the wind and sun and terrain to your advantage ! Be able to debone and pack out a kill ?) I suggest that there are many within this forum, including myself, that would answer 'yes' with confidence, and do just that when the occasion presents it's self. I really don't see why championing for more road closures, which would take away the only hunting experience available for the majority, is going to be much of an additional advantage to your preferred style of hunting, which you imply is far from any vehicular access already. A great many can't afford or justify the expense of hiring someone to 'drop them off' into the wilds. Speaking for myself, if I wish to experience a wilderness hunt, I don't need to be 'dropped off' in order to do so. Even from my home in the lower Fraser Valley, I can be far into the local mountains, far away from any possible vehicular interference, and into very rugged mountains where I need all the skills you list, and then some, in order to be successful and return safely. I agree that this type of hunting can be very self-satisfying and thrilling, but it's not for everyone, nor should it be.

gunnie2008
07-27-2011, 07:50 PM
You're all a bunch of wimps. I hunt the only real way. I wear a helmet with a pair of 4 pointers on it and a set of gardening gloves. Then its mano-a-deero. Yeah thats the only real way to do it; antler to antler...

Caution
Don't bend over unless u like deer points. lol.

Fisher-Dude
07-27-2011, 08:11 PM
When they take away the quads are the salt blocks still on them ? LOL
All I would ask for is an extra set of batteries for my pacemaker , would that be allowed ?
Cheers

Here's wishing you the best Duracells for the 2011 season, GB!

PS - my friend has to go to Victoria for a new set of batteries soon, so he will be ready for the season opener! :wink:

Fisher-Dude
07-27-2011, 08:15 PM
There's a click on this site bud and your not in it. You need 4-5 thousand more posts and a lot more baglicking to get in.

I would have thought with all your money, you'd be able to buy your way into the "click" (it's actually a "clique", but we get what you mean).

Maybe the basic prerequisites can't be bought, eh? :lol:

dana
07-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Dino,
Reread the Leupold quote that Horshur posted. What of cultural values? I'm sure if written in todays modern age, he would cringe at you trying to 'buy' knowledge over the internet to find out where another hunter is hunting. What of your cultural values? Isn't Leupold actually describing the 'wannabee'? :-D

MillBay
07-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Just as a bistander a reading numerous threads with Dino and Dana duking it out....sorry dino you get the crap kicked out of you. At least Dana dosn't run when the going get tuff.

Jelvis
07-27-2011, 08:51 PM
I think dino knows a lot about hunting and is a pleasant person and I certainly couldn't put him down in any way for being a hunter in BC, and learning new areas and regions by sharing information, like we all have so others might enjoy the BC hunting experience.
You other fella's too, write great stuff and we all hone in on you and some of us like all hunters, the good, the bad and the noobs lol.
Jelvis .. dino knows hunting and learns as much as he can and also helps other hunters with his tricks, and hunting skills from experience and reading like us all ..
One 4 all and All 4 one all ways all the time. :-D Stand By Me .. Mickey Gilly
Urban Cowboy

fireguy
07-27-2011, 08:52 PM
What does a closed road have to do with getting away from hunters. I hunt primarily in the okanagan, and there is a lot of hunters. I get on my quad, drive to where I want to hunt and go for a hike for the day, never seeing another hunter. I have backpack hunted for weeks at a time, every time hiking from my truck, back into the wilderness, and I do enjoy it. I can't go sheep hunting every year, so I treasure the hunts I have been on and will go on. I also spot animals far away, from the road, and hike in and try to get them, usually goats, and this is very satisfying as well. Is that road hunting, I don't really care, I'm hunting, and loving it.
I don't care if someone is out driving the roads hunting, at least they are out there hunting, that is all that matters. If I come accross you on the road, I will usually stop and bs for a bit, and carry on, it is all part of the experiance. Some days after work I only have an hour or so to go hunt, so if it is by driving down the road, so be it.
I do have to say a hard hunt that involves an unplanned overnight stay because of the distance away from my truck or camp usually makes for a great hunt and a great story.

dino
07-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Just as a bistander a reading numerous threads with Dino and Dana duking it out....sorry dino you get the crap kicked out of you. At least Dana dosn't run when the going get tuff.
All the baglicking in the world aint gonna get ya much.
I actually have a life outside of this site and left for my cabin right after my last post on the thread I started. My cabin is in a place more bum **** nowhere than where Dana lives and I dont have internet there I have never run from anyone in my life and I certainly wouldnt run from him intellectually or physically. What you dont know millbay is that Dana just wont go away, pull up some of his other threads and you will see. I dont have the insecurity's he has so I dont have to prove he's wrong to make me right by always having to have the last word. . I have tried to make peace with him many times but some people just dont evolve. The other reason why I dont like to keep airing our shit is because it robs threads like this of there point and its disrespectful. You havent been on here long enough to to know our history and if you believe his BS thats your business. One last thing I have to say before Dana and his sheep start the hijack is that you would not be surprised at how many other people PM me and support me with the way I hurt Dana's feelings by getting under his skin. Now its your turn Dana.

fireguy
07-27-2011, 09:23 PM
All the baglicking in the world aint gonna get ya much.

This always keeps me laughing. just because you don't like someone, you could let them post without going off on a personal rant you know. Not that I mind, it humours me.

Gateholio
07-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Maybe dino and dana could give it a rest for a month or so...You already had one squabble just last week. I'd hate to be the bad cop with the ban button just as sheep season kicks off...

dana
07-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Why Gate? Because you would miss my pics? You don't want me to give myself another Timeout now do ya? :) :)

Gateholio
07-27-2011, 09:51 PM
You guys just had a little spat on another thread. Take it to pm's if you really feel the need to scrap.

07-27-2011, 10:03 PM

There's several people on here who should read that book.

gunnie2008
07-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Old Boy Scout.
live off the land if need be, ( Ah Gods Country ).

I been dropped off at 4am quite a few times, In your neck of the woods, WhiteSwan, Bull river. (Mnt Bike/Quad hidden in Bush) follow game trails or climb up, have early lunch on bluffs over looking slides, see game n plan my stalk. when successful in bagging an animal cut my tag n bone out as much as I can carry down n up again. Now I carry a UHF radio for emergency's like (HEY Need some Help Dragging This Bugger Off The MNT.) Get the young bucks up here.
Ah a Quad or Truck to relax the cramps n bone's.
I have road hunted, but $$$ more in fuel to cover more area's.
As for Dream Hunt my disabled brother is happy he can do the spot n shoot. (every seasons a dream hunt.) Then Guess who has to Climb, Gut n Carry. He even has a permit to shoot from the truck. tho has never done it. Even rubs it in. lol.
I'm just glad he's able to enjoy the Outdoors and for me helping on their dream hunts.
My hunting buddy will be going on his dream goat hunt, I'm too out of shape this year to follow. unless I get dragged up there. lol
BC. One of the best place's on mother earth.

grizzlydueck
07-28-2011, 12:16 AM
If you are THE PRESIDENT OF THE TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS OF BC ....I'm at a loss .. I am trying to be a purest ! I'm not bragging =I'm trying to get an idea out there= about how people have soo removed them selves from the earth ...and from the true act of hunting .And that we can still in this age of driving everywhere, be rewarded with walking /hiking as my pictures show ! And how fast we are loosing our road clousers ! period ! I was not in any way, saying make more clousers! My intentions of this 2am in the morning post ..was too stimulate ideas ! Not to get people fighting with each other, or calling me down! I was just irritated with some paticular quadders that keep quadding in the road clousers around here looking for sheds ? Mr Islander your comment was not needed or appreciated ? As we are suppost to be on the same page [president of the traditional bow hunters}=I did just volunteer a couple of days introducing new people to "traditional archery"- aswell just knapped some obsidian broadheads 2 weeks ago ! + have been burning a lot of arrows with my black locust self bow! We are suppost to be bow bending brothers !

grizzlydueck
07-28-2011, 12:33 AM
M.R. Fisher DuDe .......please read my responce to islander =as I think you miss interpretated the idea/thoughts that i was putting out ! Your pictures are "very cool" old school photo's...but as far as your [ He's a better hunter than the wannabe braggart that started this thread, hands down. In all ways ! W.T.F. THAT IS NOT CALLED FOR ? Whats wrong with some of the people on this site ? Maybe we should all think before we type ...myself included ! And rewrite things more clearly! Thanks to all of you for your comments and thoughts here and in private !
GRIZZ

Surrey Boy
07-28-2011, 12:42 AM
After my car got shot up while parked on the side of a FSR, I hunted the next season being dropped off and packing in. I had enough cell reception to get a text message out to my brother when I wanted to be picked up, but otherwise I was on my own. Those were the most memorable and educational trips of my life.

Fact is though, casual road hunting doesn't need much preparation or planning, and has equal success in terms of kill/day ratio.

MillBay
07-28-2011, 06:20 AM
"All the baglicking in the world aint gonna get ya much.
I actually have a life outside of this site and left for my cabin right after my last post on the thread I started. My cabin is in a place more bum **** nowhere than where Dana lives and I dont have internet there I have never run from anyone in my life and I certainly wouldnt run from him intellectually or physically. What you dont know millbay is that Dana just wont go away, pull up some of his other threads and you will see. I dont have the insecurity's he has so I dont have to prove he's wrong to make me right by always having to have the last word. . I have tried to make peace with him many times but some people just dont evolve. The other reason why I dont like to keep airing our shit is because it robs threads like this of there point and its disrespectful. You havent been on here long enough to to know our history and if you believe his BS thats your business. One last thing I have to say before Dana and his sheep start the hijack is that you would not be surprised at how many other people PM me and support me with the way I hurt Dana's feelings by getting under his skin. Now its your turn Dana. "

Now that was cheap entertainment. "Baglicking" haven't heard that once since high school. 2 point!

Fisher-Dude
07-28-2011, 06:21 AM
M.R. Fisher DuDe .......please read my responce to islander =as I think you miss interpretated the idea/thoughts that i was putting out ! Your pictures are "very cool" old school photo's...but as far as your [ He's a better hunter than the wannabe braggart that started this thread, hands down. In all ways ! W.T.F. THAT IS NOT CALLED FOR ? Whats wrong with some of the people on this site ? Maybe we should all think before we type ...myself included ! And rewrite things more clearly! Thanks to all of you for your comments and thoughts here and in private !
GRIZZ

There are no power lines in the picture of my old friend's elk, unlike yours. How much skill does it take to shoot an elk on a power line? Why write up a brag post about the big "pack out" when the power line is right there? :D

We packed my old friend's elk 2 miles through swamps and spuce thickets, with homemade wooden pack boards, wearing leather top Acton boots, hide on the quarters, because that's the way we did it back then. It wasn't shot on a power line!

Like I said, my old friend is a better hunter, in all ways.

Squamch
07-28-2011, 07:11 AM
I just like wandering around in the bush...hunting is just my seasonal excuse. Summer I call it backpacking, dirtbikin, or wheeling.

Piperdown
07-28-2011, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=MillBay;954101 Now that was cheap entertainment. "Baglicking" haven't heard that once since high school. 2 point!

TOOO funny we have a friend whos nickname is The Baglicker :)

MillBay
07-28-2011, 08:23 AM
"TOOO funny we have a friend whos nickname is The Baglicker "

Well "Baglicker" must be a nice guy as well. Say hi to him for me, I'm sure Dino says high. Even though "All the baglicking in the world aint gonna get ya much." That is funny!

alexboyprin
07-28-2011, 08:38 AM
CHEERS ! GRIZZ...

hi! i regularly head straight into the thick forest with the help of a compas and the sun. I don't get lost. I could debone and carry an animal on my back even if it means staying a night in the forest. But, my main concern and what prevent me from doing so is that i am expected at home at a certain time and, if i do not come back...my family will worry and may send a search party for me. So, yes! i can do all that. the enemy is the lack of time!

Steeleco
07-28-2011, 09:02 AM
September won't come soon enough!!!!

07-28-2011, 09:08 AM
IBTL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
its the time of year.

srupp
07-28-2011, 09:12 AM
hmmm I personaly like the fly in hunts away from everyone.....but also have shot deer while riding my quad up the mountain...

Steven

happyhunter
07-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Im going into my 4th year of hunting and I have shot animals while cruising FS roads by truck and by quad. Last year was my first taste of backpack hunting and I went out a few times with my brother and brother in law and I absolutely loved it. To me this type of hunting felt more authentic and I loved all the adventure involved. Thanks to them I got a billy and that was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I've also had the pleasure of watching big horns fighting at about 6000-6500 ft and that was a blast. We didn't shoot anything that day but it was more memorable then the time I just jumped out of the truck and tipped over my whitetail. My skill set is still pretty limited at this point but I keep going out with knowledgeable people and learn every time we go out. This coming season I'm looking for 2 things: meat in the freezer which I'm fine to shoot something by road hunting to do, but the second thing I want is some backpacking adventures. I wanna get off the beaten path and see things you only see by putting boots to the ground, I wanna hike all day till my body is gonna break and then do it all over again. I wanna see all manner of wildlife and the sights of rugged peaks, smells of alpine forests and just take it all in and make some memories.

bc mike
07-28-2011, 09:43 AM
I think it is relative to the type of animal you hunt. I road hunt moose and will take short (couple hundred yard) walks to a swamp or lake to have a look.I take note of all fresh sign in my travels and spend more time in areas of sign. I will not walk a moose trail to set up an ambush and sit on it for days on end. I will not backpack into an area to hunt moose. The north moose areas have beautiful country to explore by road hunting. Yes, I am a real hunter that puts real moose in the freezer. Let mother nature decide when to close a road off.

chilcotin hillbilly
07-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Happyhunter, like you said, make some memories.. Some it is hiking the steep mountain peaks and alpine meadows. Others it is sitting around the campfire pounding pints and sleeping in the next morning. Some just like the tunes and sound of a pickup and the rattle of empties in ths box of the truck.

Diesel13
07-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Have dana and dino ever even met in person?

madrona sh
07-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Matter and antimatter cannot meet. It would destroy the world.

greenhorn
07-28-2011, 11:58 AM
why is this thread still going?

frenchbar
07-28-2011, 12:02 PM
why not?...

moose2
07-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Im going into my 4th year of hunting and I have shot animals while cruising FS roads by truck and by quad. Last year was my first taste of backpack hunting and I went out a few times with my brother and brother in law and I absolutely loved it. To me this type of hunting felt more authentic and I loved all the adventure involved. Thanks to them I got a billy and that was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I've also had the pleasure of watching big horns fighting at about 6000-6500 ft and that was a blast. We didn't shoot anything that day but it was more memorable then the time I just jumped out of the truck and tipped over my whitetail. My skill set is still pretty limited at this point but I keep going out with knowledgeable people and learn every time we go out. This coming season I'm looking for 2 things: meat in the freezer which I'm fine to shoot something by road hunting to do, but the second thing I want is some backpacking adventures. I wanna get off the beaten path and see things you only see by putting boots to the ground, I wanna hike all day till my body is gonna break and then do it all over again. I wanna see all manner of wildlife and the sights of rugged peaks, smells of alpine forests and just take it all in and make some memories.

Right on Happy you have the right attitude, hiking is an enjoyable way to go hunting. When it comes to hunting methods there is no bad way. We as hunters just have to do whats best for us. I once had a partner ask me how far I planned on us walking that day. " I told him I usually walk until I am exhausted, then I turn around and head back." He just smiled turned around and said. " I will meet you at the truck at dark and good luck."
Mike

grizzlydueck
07-28-2011, 12:18 PM
That Antimatter shat is funny ! As far as fisher dude judging my skills or how hard is it to shot an elk on the power line ? Budy you know jack ! That elk took me from 830 in the morning till 4pm in the fricken heat-soo many flies- up hill through the nasty blow down -burn ! HAUSE THERE ARE NO ROADS along lots of the power lines ! I feel like I'm lowering my self to someone elses standards ! Did you even read my post ...I never said that your old mentor couldnt hunt or in any way hack you or him ...but you keep bringing this unknown person up ? Sure he may of been a better hunter then me ? W.T.F I must of hit a nerve being that Iv'e guided for years and that I don't personally like hunting from a quad ! which goes against your way of something or other ! I can't say anything about you =because I don't know you ?
Fisher guy ......Can't we be friends ..I like chev's and win 88 -and don't like the hst !

Fisher-Dude
07-28-2011, 12:21 PM
GD wants to close off roads to my old friend so that he and his guided client chums can ride horses up them instead. Them's fightin' words buddy.

Caribou_lou
07-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Why can't we all just be friends...

But on a more serious note. I don't care if you hike to the top of a mountain for your elk or if you shoot it on the road. The more hunters out there that will stand up to protect our rights when the time comes the better off we will be.

I will not try to prove to you grizzlyD if I am a real hunter. I hike my rear end off day after day because that is what I enjoy. I harvest respectable animals and have experienced places and situations most people dream of. But I don't think that makes me better than someone who road hunts all day. That may be what they enjoy. And heck... They may even be more successful!

Piperdown
07-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Plain and simple to each his own!

sky-gunner
07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Plain and simple to each his own!

Exactly, it does not matter if you hike in, fly in, drive in, quad, rhino Argo, whatever. As long as your out enjoying the outdoors, and your lucky enough to harvest an animal, I think that's what it's all about. Enjoyment. If your enjoying yourself, who cares how you do it. That's what being out in the bush is supposed to be about. Enjoyment.

bforce750
07-28-2011, 02:49 PM
GD wants to close off roads to my old friend so that he and his guided client chums can ride horses up them instead. Them's fightin' words buddy.

F-Dude , Duek is actually a pretty good guy, I think we have all posted a few things on here that stir the pot...lol..I guess he got you going with this one...cheers

07-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Well this is one big pot that is well stirred!

358mag
07-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Well this is one big pot that is well stirred!

Bedwetters freaking out, methinks

Fisher-Dude
07-28-2011, 03:37 PM

I hope the drycleaners were able to save your sleeping bag for you, 358! :wink:

Backcountry archer
07-28-2011, 03:52 PM
I love getting way out in the back country, but I carry my GPS along with my compass and map. I would love to take a deeper lesson on navigation and tracking etc. but my time doesn't always allow for this.
Like the others are saying, there is nothing wrong with road hunting. The last hunt for my Dad was with me in my pick-up and shooting a few grouse. He had a blast. A big difference from the old days when he hunted Elk in the Kootenays on horse back.

358mag
07-28-2011, 04:44 PM
I hope the drycleaners were able to save your sleeping bag for you, 358! :wink:
No there still working on it , tough stuff as your well aware!!!

islandarcher
07-28-2011, 05:43 PM
I've had the pleasure of hunting with duey, and it was a pleasure. This is guy who truly loves hunting, is one of the most ethical guys I have hunted with and spends far more time in the woods than I can afford to. It's a shame too many people read too deeply between the lines and get their knickers in a twist.

Hope to share a campfire with you again soon Duey, maybe flaking some obsidian to pass the time.

huntwriter
07-28-2011, 06:11 PM
To answer the original posters question. There is no criteria by which a "real hunter" is measured. Real hunting is to each person what they want it to be and not what someone else thinks it should be. Whether a hunter kills a deer next to a logging road, after a long hike into the wilderness or guided by a professional it really doesn't matter.

RugDoctor
07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Say what you want about my methods...I obey the governments laws, and my own concience (ethics). My freezer is full, and so is any belly that comes to my place. Oh, and you know.....you can build a thousand bridges right? But you lick one bag.......

Foxton Gundogs
07-28-2011, 06:59 PM
CHEERS ! GRIZZ...

I've had the pleasure of hunting with duey, and it was a pleasure. This is guy who truly loves hunting, is one of the most ethical guys I have hunted with and spends far more time in the woods than I can afford to. It's a shame too many people read too deeply between the lines and get their knickers in a twist.

Hope to share a campfire with you again soon Duey, maybe flaking some obsidian to pass the time.

Point is GD may be the best guy in the world but dont insuinuate that a bunch of guys that you don't know arnt "Real" hunters. Just to point it out I see in GDs gallery the use of a cart with bike wheels to take out a buck(whole not skinned deboned and in a back pack). Well I would say my pack horses are every bit as Triditional and Old School as that device. I am not knocking it or it's use, and Yes there are road hunters that are NOT real hunters but they are the guys driving 90 with a 12 pack on the seat throwing the MTs out the windows and shooting up signs in the NAME of hunting. So all I'm saying is if you start telling a bunch of REAL hunter,s who are freircely proud of their sport and ethicas, that they are not REAL hunters no matter their chosen or forced style and not expect a strong response. As they say "don't poke the bear if you dont want to wake it up"
Side note... and just for my information, what about the guy I seen on here with his trac drivem wheel chair Is not REAL cuz I would say he is MORE real with much more desire and love of the sport Than you, me or just about anyone on here.

RayHill
07-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Grizzlydueck....yor full of yourself....you must hunt alone alot.

Hey! I hunt alone always, dose that make me full of myself? LOL you guys are all full of it! Silly Willy hunters!! Just go get a nice deer, how ever you want that's OK, really it is, I won't judge you! Unless there isn't any pics, then I will think you are full of Shi! (not it.) Haha

358mag
07-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Once again another thread that starts out with a hunters option and it gets all twisted up and goes sideways because it just doesn't fit into the HBC -BCWF want to be's
Hunt hard how ever you chose have fun and enjoy this great prov and liberal season + bag limits

Fisher-Dude
07-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Hunt hard how ever you chose have fun and enjoy this great prov and liberal season + bag limits

I didn't know you were a baglimiter.

Learn somethin' new every day on here!

BCBear
07-28-2011, 09:52 PM
I respect the guys on this site who take the time out of their lives to advocate for hunting and wildlife issues to drive to and from meetings,research the issues and take the powers that be to task. They are the one who get their hands dirty and fight for the rights of all BC hunters. THAT IS A HUNTER WHO KICKS @SS!

358mag
07-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I didn't know you were a baglimiter.

Learn somethin' new every day on here!
Neither did I and remeber theres no limit the "Internet"
Live + Learn life to short to be a know it all

SHAKER
07-28-2011, 10:34 PM
To answer the original posters question. There is no criteria by which a "real hunter" is measured. Real hunting is to each person what they want it to be and not what someone else thinks it should be. Whether a hunter kills a deer next to a logging road, after a long hike into the wilderness or guided by a professional it really doesn't matter.

Well said my friend! Who's hunting technique is really more right? I drive a truck, I ride an ATV, I ride a Snowmobile, I hike high country, I push bush ( but man I hate it, tough to kill sh!t with tree's in the way) I live off my backpack for weeks, I've boated to area's, I hunt with hounds, I long range hunt, I'm even riding a horse this year! I don't own a GPS, I don't have a sat phone, hell I don't even have a cell phone (note: I'm 30 years old and want to be last person on earth without one!). Hunting is hunting and the experience means something different to everyone. If push came to shove I know I could make without all the fancy stuff no problem but some people don't want or need to push the envelope so don't down play their means of feeding the family.

Walksalot
07-29-2011, 05:56 AM
I have done the back woods thing and packed elk from the top of Okanagan Mountain, long before the Goat Trail and such, to the parking lot on the Chute Lake side. I have packed elk off Atkinson to the Greyback Road before there was logging in the area. Having said that all that work was done because I haven't been lucky enough to shoot one on the road. The truly sad part is that I never took many pictures of our excursions into the back woods because in my wildest dreams I never thought my knees would wear out....bugger.

Pre '64
07-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Hi Guys, I'm in Nova Scotia but have hunted in BC with my cousin a couple of times. In NS, we have a lot of thick woods and that's the only way I hunt, which is done in Wilderness areas where no vehicles are permitted. I like to hunt an area when no other hunters are around. Here's a buck I got still hunting last fall. It took a lot of walking and this was only the second one I saw after three weeks of almost daily hunting. Our deer population is down because of bad winters and big eastern coyotes and it's common to hunt 3 days straight without seeing a deer of any description.

BYW, if anyone needs a companion to hunt with I'd be happy to come out and hunt with someone who hunts as described in this thread. I'm an "Official Boone and Crockett measurer", an electrician and an experienced woodsman. (my cousin doesn't hunt anymore)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8YXDNRIVvY

Islander
07-29-2011, 11:57 AM
If you are THE PRESIDENT OF THE TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS OF BC ....I'm at a loss .. I am trying to be a purest ! I'm not bragging =I'm trying to get an idea out there= about how people have soo removed them selves from the earth ...and from the true act of hunting .And that we can still in this age of driving everywhere, be rewarded with walking /hiking as my pictures show ! And how fast we are loosing our road clousers ! period ! I was not in any way, saying make more clousers! My intentions of this 2am in the morning post ..was too stimulate ideas ! Not to get people fighting with each other, or calling me down! I was just irritated with some paticular quadders that keep quadding in the road clousers around here looking for sheds ? Mr Islander your comment was not needed or appreciated ? As we are suppost to be on the same page [president of the traditional bow hunters}=I did just volunteer a couple of days introducing new people to "traditional archery"- aswell just knapped some obsidian broadheads 2 weeks ago ! + have been burning a lot of arrows with my black locust self bow! We are suppost to be bow bending brothers !
Mr Grizzlydueck....sorry if I heart your feelings. I have seen the pictures in your gallery and must admit you have harvested some great animals. You definitely have more bragging rights than I do. But I dont see the connection between your hunting behind gates and traditional archery. On Vancouver Island where I live we have been fighting to save our access into the backcountry for 30-40 years to know avail. All our roads are gated and you would be walking for miles to get into the backcountry. These areas should be opened up to everyone not just guides and outfitters(but thats a different story I won't get into). We need to lose road closures not maintain them As far as you teaching people how to shoot, thats great....the obsidian arrowheads and black locus bow...WOW you do alot of stuff. You hunt with your 7mm mag and handloads and I will hunt with my stick and string but you and I are not on the same page.

David
07-29-2011, 12:54 PM
If you are THE PRESIDENT OF THE TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS OF BC ....I'm at a loss .. I am trying to be a purest ! I'm not bragging =I'm trying to get an idea out there= about how people have soo removed them selves from the earth ...and from the true act of hunting

The "true" act of hunting was about putting meat on the table. What you described is not the most efficient way of putting meat on the table. You're not being a purist: you're pushing your idea of hunting onto others.

If you're talking about being an "outdoorsman", enjoying nature, or something similar - I still disagree with your post. Why should I track an animal when I can figure out where an animal goes and have them come to me? Not only will I get to see the animal I'm hunting, but experience other aspects of nature: hawks hunting, a black bear wandering by, just being quiet and still and noticing the mice and shrews. Your whole original post was about exclusion: children, the eldery, the disabled, those without time/money/ability, etc. etc.

We should have more trails and roads, not less, so that more people can have the opportunity to explore our province. Hell, you can easily get lost in the bush within 2 hrs of Vancouver.

I'm all for you doing things in a way that makes you happy (as long as its safe and legal), just don't force me to conform to your view of the world.

FirePower
07-29-2011, 01:19 PM
The "true" act of hunting was about putting meat on the table. What you described is not the most efficient way of putting meat on the table. You're not being a purist: you're pushing your idea of hunting onto others.

If you're talking about being an "outdoorsman", enjoying nature, or something similar - I still disagree with your post. Why should I track an animal when I can figure out where an animal goes and have them come to me? Not only will I get to see the animal I'm hunting, but experience other aspects of nature: hawks hunting, a black bear wandering by, just being quiet and still and noticing the mice and shrews. Your whole original post was about exclusion: children, the eldery, the disabled, those without time/money/ability, etc. etc.

We should have more trails and roads, not less, so that more people can have the opportunity to explore our province. Hell, you can easily get lost in the bush within 2 hrs of Vancouver.

I'm all for you doing things in a way that makes you happy (as long as its safe and legal), just don't force me to conform to your view of the world.

You bring up a good point, if someone is going to claim to be a true hunting pureist, then we have to go back, way back back before the bow back even before the pointed stick back to when hunting ment herding animals off cliffs, or stoneing them or beating them to death with clubs. Man has become the prime preditor not because of his strangth or speed but because of his mind. What right does anyone have to say well its ok to accept the invention of the bow but not the gun, the high tech back pack and boots but not the quad or river boat or truck. Accept the leval of developement in technology that you chose to but dont look down on others for accepting a difrent leval wether it be highr of lower than yours.
The test of a real hunter.....if we took away your bow and steel knife and boots and gortex..... and were droped barefoot with a loin cloth and club
Get my point? Accept a hunter as a hunter and as the saying goes together we stand devided we fall.

Salty
07-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Epic ^^ :mrgreen:

Wonder if its true :shock:

deer nut
07-29-2011, 08:15 PM
It is way more satisfying somehow to get an animal deep in the bush with an epic pack out. That siad, I am too out ofshape not to want a quad (for packing meat out at least) but ya gotta 'go in after them' to be successful consistently (esp. with elk). Wish I started hunting younger!

Good thread!

dana
07-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Same guy... split personality, pretty sad really

:mrgreen::mrgreen: I also have another personality that goes by the name Jelvis.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

grizzlydueck
07-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Hey Islander I feel your pain ..I lived in victoria and area for 30 years and the changes with mac blow and the others locking up all the roads . Luckly I had several of the keys to the lower island-but only the last few years that i was there ! I left the rock 10ish years ago=once I discovered the east kootenays ! The vandalism to everything and anything in the bush, was disgusting ! =that was one of there reasons for thier gates projects. Out here in the kootenays 90% ish are crown roads open to whom ever and not even 10% are road clousers =and the big winter range clousers have main roads open right through the middle of them = for access ! Out here it's a great system -and if your handicapped you can get a permit ! If you want to hunt after work =you can be walking into several no vehicle areas =10 min from town and have a great chance to fill your tags !
CHEERS !

wlbc
07-30-2011, 10:47 AM
CHEERS ! GRIZZ...

A good friend of mine just had open heart surgery to correct a genetic defect that he didn't know he had. Up to now we have road hunted, quad hunted, and put many miles in on foot. How you hunt is often situational. In the coming year he will be lucky if he will be able to get out truck hunting let alone climb a few mountains on foot like we did this spring on our grizzly hunt.

So if you see him truck hunting this fall are you going to judge him to be lazy?

FWIW last fall we did a fly in elk hunt. We put many miles on foot every day. Due to our success I packed a quarter off seven elk off those mountains - more than once two quarters in a day. Every one of them was a climb above the treeline from camp and then down again. We had over a metric tonne of meat to fly out, all carried to our camp by packframe.

The year before I knocked over a spike moose truck hunting.

You should rethink your post, it is needlessly judgemental.

Foxton Gundogs
07-30-2011, 11:07 AM
It is way more satisfying somehow to get an animal deep in the bush with an epic pack out. That siad, I am too out ofshape not to want a quad (for packing meat out at least) but ya gotta 'go in after them' to be successful consistently (esp. with elk). Wish I started hunting younger!

Good thread!

I would disagree with that. I think sucess is satisfying no matter where it is achjeved as long as it is ethical and "fair chase". As one who has logged uncountable pack horse miles back into some of the wildest country in 2 privinces and 1 territory, I do think the hunt leading up to the kill is more satisfying in wild country by virtue of the unique experience of the country and sights, sounds smells etc that you cant gain in a road hunt sucessfull or otherwise. That being said did the elk I took 3 pack horse days into the Muskwa make me feel like more of a REAL hunter than the 6' Blackie I took on the side of a logging road near 70 Mile some years back? Definately NOT!

deer nut
07-30-2011, 05:57 PM
You know, when I said this was a good thread, I was referring to the stories and the concept of going deep into our quarries' habitat to find them in their beds. I love the idea and try to do this, even though I am quite happy to bag something next to the road - there's just not the same sense of satisfaction.

That said, the bickering that inevitably ensues in threads like this just detracts from otherwise great discussions. Who would've thought that rough tough hunters would be so sensitive! ;) Or "cliquey"? (e.g. bow hunters vs. gun hunters vs. purists vs. road hunetrs etc.) God forbid we every get muzzleoader seasons up here.....

More stories (from the likes of all those "adventure"/ solo hunters out there - Dana and the like) and less BS please!!! With respect, this is depressing the SH** out of me! (Discussion for another thread....)

palmer
07-30-2011, 06:22 PM
I enjoy walking in the hills, but walking down a logging road that is a road closure is not my idea of getting back to basics.....walking where there is no roads is.

rocksteady
07-30-2011, 06:38 PM
IF DG likes to go where no man goes or has ever gone and gets his game there, and brings it out and it gives him satisfaction......All the power to him.....

Couple years ago my hunting partner called a 38" bull moose to within 100 yards of the trcuks on a road and we had him loaded whole with 15 minutes of legal shooting light......Not a hard core hunt story, but a great story just the same.....

If you like to road hunt...have at er.....If you like massive spot and stalk for days, all the power to you.......If you like sitting in a frozen tree stand for 14 hours in well below sub zero, fill your boots.....If you like belly crawling across cacti to shoot a pronghorn with your home made bow and arrows made out of tentpole and recycled razors blades...Good on you....

Too each his own.....I hunt my way, you hunt yours.....Pretty simple it seems to me......

BUT don't be saying that your way is the only or "best" or "true" way.....That just pisses people off.......

My FAVORITE way to harvst elk is to bugle in the horny bulls to very close range and stick an arrow in their ribs.....Does not mean I won't take a shot across a slide during rifle at decent distance or for that matter, won't pass up a legal bull that stands on the side of a landing and licks his nards til I get out and drop him in his tracks......

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......

deer nut
07-31-2011, 09:03 PM
I would disagree with that. I think sucess is satisfying no matter where it is achieved as long as it is ethical and "fair chase".

Sure, success is gratifying either way, totally agree, but getting an animal deep in the bush with an epic pack out makes for a better story!!

sako04
05-21-2012, 03:23 PM
anyone one know any good areas to hunt mulies in the alpine within an hour or 2 from kelowna

wicket
05-21-2012, 04:20 PM
just re read all the posts in this thread again since it originally started and wow here I thought this type of back and forth was only in Onterrible. Cliques....baglicking....mispelling ....ah the internet message board, good times. now on a serious note how bout dino and dana on a landing...two men enter one man leaves, that would be a party

bugler
05-21-2012, 08:38 PM
I usually get away from the roads simply because that is where I find more quality bucks and bulls that are less tense. It seems the more remote the less they expect trouble. That doesn't mean I won't set my stand 50 yards off a road if that is where the game is moving through. I've deboned and packed many a big critter, and I like it because it feels so good when it's all in the truck, but I don't mind getting to load one whole once in a while either!!

To me the road closures are a little too obvious. There are many hard working hunters willing to walk, bike, horseback up them. I have better luck hiking in off of roads where hunting is allowed. It seems a higher percentage of hunters stay in their trucks and leave me alone this way.

RENO
05-21-2012, 09:28 PM
I say, hunting is hunting! look up hunting in the dictionary, to search,pursue,chase and kill game, anyway, the method is not important as we all have limitations as we age and I for one take heart meds, besides other heath issues which I glad to be alive, so can't climb the big mountains, or walk for miles any more, so I prefer still hunting, driving a bit and walking around where it's easier for me, I still have a good time,and try to come home with my venison. I do and enjoy grouse and waterfowl hunting much more as well, lots of shooting, when I was younger there were no atv's or monster 4x4's so walking was the way and we had to carry it out, today long range shooting is the rage for some, great you nailed him at 1.5k now you gotta go get it and bring it back, ok if your 20, the closer to the truck the better as you age,LOL . so we all have these skills, the OP is asking but we all use methods that suit us and our situation doesn't mean one way is right and one is wrong, a good day hunting is better than not.

bosca
05-21-2012, 09:53 PM
IF DG likes to go where no man goes or has ever gone and gets his game there, and brings it out and it gives him satisfaction......All the power to him.....

Couple years ago my hunting partner called a 38" bull moose to within 100 yards of the trcuks on a road and we had him loaded whole with 15 minutes of legal shooting light......Not a hard core hunt story, but a great story just the same.....

If you like to road hunt...have at er.....If you like massive spot and stalk for days, all the power to you.......If you like sitting in a frozen tree stand for 14 hours in well below sub zero, fill your boots.....If you like belly crawling across cacti to shoot a pronghorn with your home made bow and arrows made out of tentpole and recycled razors blades...Good on you....

Too each his own.....I hunt my way, you hunt yours.....Pretty simple it seems to me......

BUT don't be saying that your way is the only or "best" or "true" way.....That just pisses people off.......

My FAVORITE way to harvst elk is to bugle in the horny bulls to very close range and stick an arrow in their ribs.....Does not mean I won't take a shot across a slide during rifle at decent distance or for that matter, won't pass up a legal bull that stands on the side of a landing and licks his nards til I get out and drop him in his tracks......

What he said!!:wink: ...and halalluia!!

dino
05-22-2012, 08:58 AM
just re read all the posts in this thread again since it originally started and wow here I thought this type of back and forth was only in Onterrible. Cliques....baglicking....mispelling ....ah the internet message board, good times. now on a serious note how bout dino and dana on a landing...two men enter one man leaves, that would be a party

I like your avatar, I will be at their concert in full 80's iron maiden drab.
Have you ever watched two middle aged men go at it? Its embarising to even watch. Im not an angry young kid anymore and the thought of getting bloody and muddy just doesnt have the same appeal anymore. Im pretty sure we would just shake hands and smile but if he wanted more I would make sure someone video'd it and I would post it here first win or lose. I know it would be the most read thread to date on this site.:-D

Foxton Gundogs
05-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Sure, success is gratifying either way, totally agree, but getting an animal deep in the bush with an epic pack out makes for a better story!!

And I think that if you dont pack 3 days in and do a horseback hunt you have missed out on the ultimate experience, there's nothing like falling asleep to the sound of horse bells, wrangeling in the predawn mist and feeling a good mountain horse under you, but thats me. My point of that old post was that if you hunt "your" way and are sucessfull it is satisfying for "you" and if it is done in a "sporting" manner NO ONE has the right to put it down. Rocksteady just summed it up to a tee and if you dont want to hunt "my" way and I don't(or cant) hunt yours. Lets dont "crap on each others BD cake" lets be happy for each others sucess and support each others choices we are all hunters.

proguide66
05-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Just read thw whole thread...shakin head laughing..sheesh........
Man , I WISH I could use a truck er quad to hunt , getting tired of this self torcher each year. This thread more leaves me wondering just 'what is a pretend hunter'? as well , how the F' do you create an enemy on here in the first place? kinda creepy isnt it?:?

Nathaniel Poe
05-22-2012, 04:45 PM
I think there are a couple of guys on this thread that need to meet on Brokeback Mountain! They are in love! LOL!

wicket
05-22-2012, 04:47 PM
I like your avatar, I will be at their concert in full 80's iron maiden drab.
Have you ever watched two middle aged men go at it? Its embarising to even watch. Im not an angry young kid anymore and the thought of getting bloody and muddy just doesnt have the same appeal anymore. Im pretty sure we would just shake hands and smile but if he wanted more I would make sure someone video'd it and I would post it here first win or lose. I know it would be the most read thread to date on this site.:-D
Hey im 42 def middle aged and i agree:) with you. To be honest i was just messing with you guys about the thunderdome reference. I think these damned msg boards can sure get out of hand with emotion and opinion. I would like to think that since everyone here is in the hunting community that if we were all face to face that opinions could be shared over a beer and a laugh and lots of bs success stories. dunno maybe im just naive.
Ok now onto the important stuff since ive killed my 2 spring gobblers and we dont have a spring bear season here in onterrible.....Iron maiden....Im going to 2 shows, one in toronto by myself 1 1/2 hrs away and the next night in Sarnia with my best friend. So dino since I cant hunt with you I can wish you an outstanding concert:-D
UP THE IRONS .....oh yah continued hunting success everyone and be safe
wicket

blackbart
05-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Based on the Avatar of the orig poster - my first lesson would be how to load a pack so you can actually carry it. Try packing those antlers in that fashion on a level road, never mind through the bush.

Sorry if this has already been brought up, just jumped to the end and crapped on someone - seems standard, and am just trying to go with the flow.

hunter1947
05-23-2012, 05:03 AM
If I had no truck ot car it would be horse back time for me..

pescado
05-23-2012, 08:12 AM

Exactly.I won't pass up on an easy one on the road just so I can maybe take one on a 5 day pack in, but if I don't see him on the drive in than I'll put my boots on and grab my packframe and take a hike. Hunt and have fun.

anglo-saxon
05-23-2012, 09:21 AM
I learned patrolling in the Army. How to use ground. Route selection and lines of advance. Wind and light appreciation. Time and space consideration. Tracking. Observation and judging distance. Stealth and covert approach. Infiltration and exfiltration. Combat survival. Map reading and navigation. GPS. Communication. Picketing ground. Ambush. Camouflage and concealment. Methods of entry and approach (mountain, sea, parachute, etc.). And of course all manner of types of shooting over a large spectrum of weapons systems. And the list goes on and on... When I started hunting when I came to Canada, I found that my military patrolling skills dovetailed very nicely into hunting scenarios. My preference is spot and stalk hunting. I love to walk, scanning the ground, seeing my animal and then making the call on how to stalk in to take it. I'll sit for a while, but I'm not a tree stand type of guy. I wouldn't call myself a road hunter, although I have certainly done my share of driving around the countryside, mainly to find decent slashes or points of entry into a decent-looking area. And I have taken a couple of animals over the years that I have seen from the truck. My preference is on foot, though.

I completely disagree that the so-called test of a "real hunter" is as described by the originator of this thread. In fact, I think that is complete self-serving drivel (it sounded a lot like advrtising, too. Maybe he wants to sell some of his courses via this forum). Those who road hunt or still hunt do so because that is their preference, or they do it out of necessity. I hunt my way because I enjoy it and I like to stay in good shape. When I'm too old and knackered to walk long distances, I'll likely road hunt. In my opinion (and it is only my opinion), I would say the test of a real hunter is his/her personal hunter ethics. And "ethics" to me is what a person does when they know they're not being watched. I hunted a couple of times with a guy whose attitude was to do the right things so he didn't get caught. He just didn't get it. Even when I explaned my own philosophy of doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do, he still didn't get it. Hence we parted ways. No great loss.

Nope, I believe that as long as a hunter is ethical, safe, and true to the hunter ethos, he has a right to hunt how he likes without fearing judgement from others as to his methods.