PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit snare - galvanized wire?

Mulehahn
07-26-2011, 10:23 PM
This may be a dumb question, but my sister is a major problem with rabbits in her garden. Taken a few with my bow, but am wondering about snaring them. Everything I find says use stainless wire or brass, but I have a bunch of 20ga galvanized wire already. Is there something particular about stainless/brass that lets it act as a better snare (friction, stiffness) or is galvanized fine? Before it starts she has the defence of property permit (what ever its called you get from the COs for $55).

seatoskymiles
07-26-2011, 11:13 PM
i would say go buy some brass wire, used it as a kid and it works really well

new hunter
07-26-2011, 11:19 PM
galvanised will have more friction and may not work as well as brass . However with trapping the key is volume , so if all you have is galvanised set a ton of snares with that .
If I had the golden oppurtunity to try trapping like you do I would consider trying a few other survival traps like deadfalls , it would be a good skill to have and a good one to hone while you don't have to depend on it .

spreerider
07-27-2011, 10:36 PM
i used to trap bunnies with copper wire back when i was a kid because my dad had a big spool of it, and it worked fine but they diddnt last very long before they were useless.

Blair
07-28-2011, 09:08 AM
you'll probably catch someone's cat

Jagermeister
07-28-2011, 09:34 AM
you'll probably catch someone's cat
That takes care of a problem too.

Jagermeister
07-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Here is a good starting place for your trapping career. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/html/sections/articles/ferreting_trapping/rabbit-snaring-rabbits.html

Mulehahn
07-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks, set 12 snares today Hope they work, or I can adjust them. There was alot of good info with that link, but i just wonder if it applies to all rabbits or the larger ones back east and north. These are small cotton tails. I agree with the big snares (mine are about 4"), but 6" off the ground to the bottom of the snare, these rabbits are only four inches tall. But I am new to this, I set mine about 2-3". If they don't workI will know and change.

Ghillie
08-03-2011, 10:17 PM
So how'd they work Mulehahn? Im looking to get a trappers license and take the TEP so I can try snaring snowshoe hares up here!