PDA

View Full Version : GOS on spike moose vrs LEH

bcfirefly
07-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Was just going over the regs the other night and noticed that in lots if not all of the areas that i plan on hunting in this season have a GOS on spike moose. I got an LEH for a bull moose in region 5 and as this is my first year with tags (always was the horse packer and photographer) i'm curious as to the reason for a LEH draw when one could just get a spike under GOS. I must be missing something? My draw date is late and if i can stay closer to home and not have to deal with extra horses and crap and go out in october why bother with the LEH?
Thanks in advance

Glenny
07-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Region 5 has no spike/fork season. But by all means why not try to nail an immy in region 3 earlier. You might not have to go up there then. But you might miss out on that biggun.:-|

blackwater moose
07-26-2011, 10:17 PM
if you get a draw you don't have have count tines, just see bone and fire away

07-26-2011, 10:34 PM
i'm curious as to the reason for a LEH draw when one could just get a spike under GOS. I must be missing something? My draw date is late and if i can stay closer to home and not have to deal with extra horses and crap and go out in october why bother with the LEH?
Thanks in advance

Success rates for spike/fork moose are very low, there's only about 20% of the bull population that are yearlings and only about half of these will be legal under the spike/fork rule. It's an additional hunting opportunity since yearlings have a very high natural mortailty rate and hunting mortaility is thus compensatory, but it's not a good bet to fill the freezer compared to the lucky dudes who get the any bull LEH.

BCLongshot
07-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Nothing like a guy who gets a draw and then talks like this........

NEXT TIME DON'T PUT IN FOR A BULL DRAW "JUST HUNT FOR A SPIKE"

Foxton Gundogs
07-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Is hunting/packing a chore or a holiday??? Personally I would rather load the horses, and go thru the "crap" just cuz I love it it's the best way to hunt and to relax, we are off on a 7 day horse trip with no season open just to get away, nothing like waking up to the sound of horse bells, sure beats waking up 3 days in and NOT hearing them LOL.

Mikey Rafiki
07-27-2011, 09:23 AM
A bunch of us were excited about the GOS baby moose opening up here since nobody in the Valley gets an LEH draw.

A couple years later and nobody has come close to bagging one. We've spotted a few before rifle opens, but that's about it. Out of the three of us hunting buddies, we will still carry one tag and hope to nail one early with a bow.

rocksteady
07-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Odds are almost as close as bagging a "unicorn" during the open season......Spikes are very few and far between...

bcfirefly
07-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Figured as this is the newbie area my questions would be answered in a helpful way.
Didn't realize the spike was that elusive and areas that had a GOS on moose the LEH seemed redondant. Good to know! eitherway will have the tag with me on my other hunts just in case. Then if no luck I have the LEH to fall back on.

07-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Elusive is not the right word, yearling bulls are not elusive, matter of fact they're dumber than a sack of rocks, it's mainly that as a percentage of a herds age composition there's just not very many of them. Also, only about 40% of yearlings will meet the spike/fork definition, the rest will have 3 or more points and thus not be legal.

Alec
07-30-2011, 07:01 PM
You fellows still speaking about "tags" . There haven't been "TAGS" in B.C. for over 20 years. Check the regs, or your hunting licence and you will note that they are all licences. No wonder the kids taking the CORE exam have a problem with the exam. That's like putting "HORNS" on deer.

Backcountry archer
07-30-2011, 07:13 PM
You fellows still speaking about "tags" . There haven't been "TAGS" in B.C. for over 20 years. Check the regs, or your hunting licence and you will note that they are all licences. No wonder the kids taking the CORE exam have a problem with the exam. That's like putting "HORNS" on deer.

Uh oh........this should be good.

.300wsm
07-30-2011, 07:17 PM
There everywhere if you know where to look. It is called hunting...B.C style no food plots or exclusive fenced ranch with tree stands with elevators and hot tubs. If it were easy i would call it farming not hunting !!!!!

gunnie2008
07-30-2011, 10:28 PM
yup species licence.
remember to cut out the tags. month,day,region n sex. on your species licence
Will have buy 4 new wheel wells for my pick up, (that's Rim's for you young stir's).:mrgreen: