PDA

View Full Version : Jerky: Going against the grain

Rhyno
07-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Just about to attempt my first batch of elk jerky. Read up on various marinades and such. Every recipe is very specific about cutting the strips with the grain.....So I semi defrosted a roast and proceeded to cut it against the grain!...:icon_frow...dummie move!!..... Anyone know what I can expect? My guess is the texture will be off and it might not hold together as it dries.....hmmm.. Luckily its a small batch

madrona sh
07-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Rebel jerky. mmmmmmmmm

mark
07-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Just about to attempt my first batch of elk jerky. Read up on various marinades and such. Every recipe is very specific about cutting the strips with the grain.....So I semi defrosted a roast and proceeded to cut it against the grain!...:icon_frow...dummie move!!..... Anyone know what I can expect? My guess is the texture will be off and it might not hold together as it dries.....hmmm.. Luckily its a small batch

I always do it this way, it works fine!

blackwater moose
07-26-2011, 08:09 PM
using elk, how can you go wrong? any way you look at ...... yum-yum

kenadiens
07-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Going across the grain just means when you bite a piece in comes off nice where as when you cut with the grain when you bite a piece you tear the piece off. Simply a matter of preference.

Ddog
07-26-2011, 08:15 PM
i do it whatever way when the roast hits the table, makes little difference, it might be no good though so you can send it to me to make sure its alright. :)

The Dawg
07-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Ya I wouldnt be too worried about it.

Crimson Viking
07-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Like was said before , cutting with the grain gives the jerky the classic stringy chewy texture. Across the grain only means u wont get that nice long chew. Other than that , your still living in flavor country. Enjoy

buck nash
07-26-2011, 10:29 PM
I also do it cross grain. I like it better that way. Only problem is if you really dry it out too much, it can go a bit crumbly or even powdery. I like my jerky to be a bit easier chewin then most so i do it this way and leave it a bit more moist then most would.

Glenny
07-26-2011, 10:33 PM
If it gets too crumbly you might want to rehydrate it a little with a spray bottle.

Backcountry archer
07-30-2011, 11:33 AM
I do both traditional whole muscle meat and ground meat jerky. I have used dozens of recipes and I love both methods, but for simplicity and easier chew I like the ground meat method.

I bought one of those jerky guns made by Nesco and American harvest. You can get 5 different flavour packets that will do 1 pound each.
As with whole muscle meat, you must have extra lean burger to use or any fat will go rancid.

tomahawk
07-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Don't care for it when its cut against the grain, find it to crumbly regardless of how ell done it is. prefer cutting with the grain about 3/16 thick, teryaki brine and smoked till it is chewy but not crisp.