PDA

View Full Version : Upland Birds - Mainly CHukar

CurryNV
07-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Just got permission to hunt on ranch where there are chukar, Hungarian partridge and all that comes with that. I'll be using a 2 3/4 Winchester Model 12.

Anybody have anything to say about this gun? Got it for a song and would like to use it on those pesky Gallinae. Good pickup. Really smooth.

Also, I'll be just a touch north or Lytton. Andybody have any advice?

07-26-2011, 04:10 PM
2-3/4" win 12 in 12ga? or 20.
doesnt matter though the Model 12 was a great gun
20ga is In my mind more appropriate for Huns and Chuckar but there will be 10 guys say im wrong.

CurryNV
07-26-2011, 05:37 PM
For sure. Used to hunt chukar in North Eastern Nevada. Used a .12 or a .20. It's a .12, made in 1940. Great condition. Reading about the "slam - bang" effect. I guess thats why it's such a fast gun though.... You hunt many birds up there?

Big Lew
07-26-2011, 06:19 PM
When I was a youth, our next door neighbour, Mr. A. D. Hitch, had a very large pheasant farm and also raised chukars. He was mentioned in our school's history book as the one responsible for introducing chukars to the B.C. Interior. A Brother and I hunted chukars along the Thompson River hillsides south of Savona with small, light, Spanish 12 ga. double barreled shotguns. A lot of fun, and those guns were perfect for that type of shooting.

MillBay
07-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Most shotguns will work as long as they are not to long and heavy, as it puts you behind on a quick swing of a fast flying bird. You have a dog? Hope i'm not getting off your topic.

07-27-2011, 10:26 AM
For sure. Used to hunt chukar in North Eastern Nevada. Used a .12 or a .20. It's a .12, made in 1940. Great condition. Reading about the "slam - bang" effect. I guess thats why it's such a fast gun though.... You hunt many birds up there?

Ya that slam bang thing was fun as a kid Shooting my Unlces mod 12 20ga.
But that aint much good for birds! a bit more aiming is required :)

Un fortunatly no, I dont get to hunt much for birds that way. I only get enough time to do one hunting trip over there and it needs to be for bigger game. Of course with a spattering of birds! My wife likes bird hunting and our holiday ( Different from my hunting trip) sometimes takes place in bird season but we tend to blast through there, maybe i should stop some day

new hunter
07-27-2011, 11:02 AM
If you have the budget to buy an upland bird gun I would suggest a lightweight double of some sort , personally I would go with a 20 over a 12 , but that is only to conserve weight . However if your limited to the gun you mentioned , then get out there and have fun . If I only had a 31/2 inch mag goose gun I'd still try to blast pheasants with it . I'd probably miss , but I'd still have fun .
Incidentally , I only road hunt ruffed grouse {as far as birds go } and I do so with an 870 express magnum , so my opinion is only that and is not based on real experience.
have fun.

CurryNV
07-28-2011, 04:27 PM
When I was a youth, our next door neighbour, Mr. A. D. Hitch, had a very large pheasant farm and also raised chukars. He was mentioned in our school's history book as the one responsible for introducing chukars to the B.C. Interior. A Brother and I hunted chukars along the Thompson River hillsides south of Savona with small, light, Spanish 12 ga. double barreled shotguns. A lot of fun, and those guns were perfect for that type of shooting.

I've got a double barrel 12 I can use. The gun is touch short as I'm 6'7 300lbs. Most guns feel like toys in my hands. I took the Model 12 out yesterday and used the "slam bang" for a first time. Shame the gun is from 1940. Would be great for ducks....

I liked the pull on it, but it is a bit longer. 28 inch barrel. I'm more confident with my IGA .410 that I got as a kid....

CurryNV
07-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Most shotguns will work as long as they are not to long and heavy, as it puts you behind on a quick swing of a fast flying bird. You have a dog? Hope i'm not getting off your topic.

No dog. I'm screwed in that regard. I'll be going up there for deer, but I know I'll wind up spending most of the time shooting birds. At least go out there and get laughed at by the Chukar as I climb and they fly... Like a horse with a carrot I am.

Foxton Gundogs
07-28-2011, 04:46 PM
No dog. I'm screwed in that regard. At least go out there and get laughed at by the Chukar as I climb and they fly... Like a horse with a carrot I am.
Hate to say this bud but you are "screwed" period you will spend most of your time walking and may get lucky and shoot something. Seriously I am not trying to be negitive but chukars ar runners and with out a dog you may get lucky but thats what it will be luck. As for the Model 12 you couldn't get a finner gun. I have a Model 12 Trap made in 1952 and can't count the number of birds it's accounted for. I'd still be using it for water fowl if the steel law hadn't reared it's ugly head. I still use it on upland 50% of the time along with my Red Label. Take good boots and if you have a bud with a good dog invite them for an afternoon shoot just to see what "might have been" LOL sorry couldn't resist the :twisted:made me do it!

Have fun.

CurryNV
07-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Hate to say this bud but you are "screwed" period you will spend most of your time walking and may get lucky and soot something. Seriously I am not trying to be negitive but chukars ar runners and with out a dog you may get lucky but thats what it will be luck. As for the Model 12 you couldn't get a finer gun. I have a Model 12 Trap made in 1952 and cant count the number of birds it's accounted for. I'd still be wsing it for water fowl if the steel law hadn't reared it's ugly head. I still use it on upland 50% of the time along with my Red Label. Takg good boots and if you have a bud with a good dog invite them for an afternoon shoot just to see what "might have been" LOL sorry couldn't resist the :twisted:made me do it!

Have fun.

Not being negative at all. I understand the necessity of a dog. I have shot them before without dogs though. Not the ideal, I understand, but I'd rather hunt them without a dog than not at all.

As far as the Model 12 goes, I noticed that the tab that releases my pump and allows me to cycle a round is a bit antagonistic. You have this problem before?

Foxton Gundogs
07-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Never had a problem with mine, has always worked just fine and that gun as had in the 10s of 10,000 rounds thru it. what does it do?

scott h
07-28-2011, 05:32 PM
I can't count the number of pheasant , huns and sharptails I've shot with a model 12. I've got a 16 but most were shot with my dads 12 guauge ( he started using it from new in the early 30's) . My 16 dates from before that and it's actually marked as a model 1912. They are great guns that were built to take an unbelievable amount of use. They may not be the latest in lightweight material but by your physical stats it sounds like it should be a good fit for what your doing.Just pick the right shells and you're set.

CurryNV
07-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Never had a problem with mine, has always worked just fine and that gun as had in the 10s of 10,000 rounds thru it. what does it do?

It won't release. I can't cycle anymore rounds. I noticed that it started to do it once the gun got a touch hot. I broke it down after shooting it, and it's still stuck. I don't want to pull the plate off the receiver of the gun and go in there and tinker as I'm by no means a gun smith. You know how right where it sits on the left hand side of the receiver? That little tab. It won't budge. And I put it away before I saw too much red.

CurryNV
07-28-2011, 05:59 PM
I can't count the number of pheasant , huns and sharptails I've shot with a model 12. I've got a 16 but most were shot with my dads 12 guauge ( he started using it from new in the early 30's) . My 16 dates from before that and it's actually marked as a model 1912. They are great guns that were built to take an unbelievable amount of use. They may not be the latest in lightweight material but by your physical stats it sounds like it should be a good fit for what your doing.Just pick the right shells and you're set.

I was using the Mirage Super Target that they used in the Beijing Olympics. At least that's what it say on the box.... What do you recommend for upland? It's chambered for 2 3/4. And yes, I may not be able to buy clothes that fit or be comfortable on an airplane, but the gun's weight isn't a worry.

Foxton Gundogs
07-28-2011, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=CurryNV;954355]It won't release. I can't cycle anymore rounds. I noticed that it started to do it once the gun got a touch hot. I broke it down after shooting it, and it's still stuck. I don't want to pull the plate off the receiver of the gun and go in there and tinker as I'm by no means a gun smith. You know how right where it sits on the left hand side of the receiver? That little tab. It won't budge. And I put it away before I saw too much red.[/QUO
hmmm try pming guntech he seems to be the go to guy on here helped me out on a question I had also try Jamie- Grizzly Richards Gunsmithing jamesjohnrichards@gmail.com I have had my reciever apart and it doesnt seem to complicated but I'm no expert. I'm sure the internet will give you an exploded view if you google it.

Good luck
Jim

CurryNV
07-28-2011, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=CurryNV;954355]It won't release. I can't cycle anymore rounds. I noticed that it started to do it once the gun got a touch hot. I broke it down after shooting it, and it's still stuck. I don't want to pull the plate off the receiver of the gun and go in there and tinker as I'm by no means a gun smith. You know how right where it sits on the left hand side of the receiver? That little tab. It won't budge. And I put it away before I saw too much red.[/QUO
hmmm try pming guntech he seems to be the go to guy on here helped me out on a question I had also try Jamie- Grizzly Richards Gunsmithing jamesjohnrichards@gmail.com I have had my reciever apart and it doesnt seem to complicated but I'm no expert. I'm sure the internet will give you an exploded view if you google it.

Good luck
Jim

Thank you. I'll consult the internet. Again.

Big Lew
07-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Yes, hunting chukars with a good dog is ideal, but I wouldn't recommend it for many of the arid areas, especially along the Thompson River south of Savona because of the high concentrations of ground cactus. Something to consider for yourself as well. Should wear above the ankle heavy leather or rubber boots as ground cactus is very springy and will snap up at the back of your foot if you step on it. Also not a good idea to kneel down or put your hands down on the ground without really checking first....trust me, their spikes will swell up the infected area tight and it can really hurt.

Foxton Gundogs
07-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Yes, hunting chukars with a good dog is ideal, but I wouldn't recommend it for many of the arid areas, especially along the Thompson River south of Savona because of the high concentrations of ground cactus. Something to consider for yourself as well. Should wear above the ankle heavy leather or rubber boots as ground cactus is very springy and will snap up at the back of your foot if you step on it. Also not a good idea to kneel down or put your hands down on the ground without really checking first....trust me, their spikes will swell up the infected area tight and it can really hurt.

Ive hunted there as well as churn cr. and the canal down by Oliver and if you have good boots (get your dog used to them first, whats hilerious at home is a real pain in the ass when you are hunting) and cut all the feathers off your dogs lower legs it's fine. and you get some great shooting.

07-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Not being negative at all. I understand the necessity of a dog. I have shot them before without dogs though. Not the ideal, I understand, but I'd rather hunt them without a dog than not at all.

?

A hunter has to do what a hunter has to do! Good luck. Taks the mod 12 and go kill some birds. :mrgreen:

07-29-2011, 08:29 AM
My buddy had a mod12 that had shot its last round. I cant remember what happened to it, I was there though. It just stopped working and fell appart. He couldnt fix it. What you need to remember is these guns were built extreamly well and lasted forever until things got loose inside them and they fall appart.

What im sayin' is take that gun to a gunsmith if you cant find an easy fix. Have them take it right appart and have a good look at the guts. My buddy proceeded to efectivly wreck his gun by trying to fix it himself.

MillBay
07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
"Ive hunted there as well as churn cr. and the canal down by Oliver and if you have good boots (get your dog used to them first, whats hilerious at home is a real pain in the ass when you are hunting) and cut all the feathers off your dogs lower legs it's fine. and you get some great shooting. "

I got a pair of boots for my dog off the internet and didn't let her get use to them ahead of time. We were in an area in the Chilcotons with lots of prickly pear cactus so I put them on her........My wife and I almost pissed ourselves laughing. The dog couldn't lift her feet high enough then she would get pissed off and just sit down. After all was said and done the little booty's where well-made but a bad design and hard to keep on her.

Foxton Gundogs
07-29-2011, 09:21 AM
"Ive hunted there as well as churn cr. and the canal down by Oliver and if you have good boots (get your dog used to them first, whats hilerious at home is a real pain in the ass when you are hunting) and cut all the feathers off your dogs lower legs it's fine. and you get some great shooting. "

I got a pair of boots for my dog off the internet and didn't let her get use to them ahead of time. We were in an area in the Chilcotons with lots of prickly pear cactus so I put them on her........My wife and I almost pissed ourselves laughing. The dog couldn't lift her feet high enough then she would get pissed off and just sit down. After all was said and done the little booty's where well-made but a bad design and hard to keep on her.

Yep I have some great video of my first Springer Molly with some homemad boots on ts Churn Cr. It was shot by a friend, Not sure what was funnier her alternately strutting around like a parade horse then laying on her back and chewing at them or me getting frustrated as hell trying to get her to hunt. LOL My golden was the same with her vest she would just sit with slayed legs and look at me as much to say F you you wear the damn thing. I have learned that all new dog equipment should be tried and used when it doesn't matter and you can enjoy the laffs

07-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Next dog that is on the hit list,,, Booties. For sea duck hunting and oysters. You have to pay real attention to where you put out your dog.

Foxton Gundogs
07-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Next dog that is on the hit list,,, Booties. For sea duck hunting and oysters. You have to pay real attention to where you put out your dog.

GREAT POINT, I think about cactus but never barnicles ot oyster shells Thanks for the thought.

07-29-2011, 09:40 AM
It is a hard learned lesson, one that i hated my ignorance in learning. There is a place that is loaded with Golden eye that i will never take my dog again. It looked like i murdered him in my truck. Water and blood.

MillBay
07-29-2011, 10:05 AM
"I think about cactus but never barnicles ot oyster shells "

We are lucky in that we live on the rocky beach full of Barnicles and my dog's have all loved the water, so thier feet get really tuff which sure helps come hunting season. Sharp oyster shells they could be like knives.

07-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Yep, I lived and hunted in Ucluelet. My dog was built there. Oysters will shred a dogs foot reguardless of how tough you think he is. trust me, It makes you feel like shit.

FirePower
07-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Yep, I lived and hunted in Ucluelet. My dog was built there. Oysters will shred a dogs foot reguardless of how tough you think he is. trust me, It makes you feel like shit.

Some years ago I was on a Sea Duck shoot in New England. The outfitter had some very nice Labradors, He had "invented" a silicone rubber boot with a hard but flexable rubber sole. His dogs never took a pad injury in the 10 days I was there the boots fit like a surgical glove with claw holes and never once ,that I observed,sliped or came off. He was going to patten and market them. He has since sold his outfit I will see if I can find his contact info. and post it

07-29-2011, 10:45 AM
That would be something to see!

Foxton Gundogs
07-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Some years ago I was on a Sea Duck shoot in New England. The outfitter had some very nice Labradors, He had "invented" a silicone rubber boot with a hard but flexable rubber sole. His dogs never took a pad injury in the 10 days I was there the boots fit like a surgical glove with claw holes and never once ,that I observed,sliped or came off. He was going to patten and market them. He has since sold his outfit I will see if I can find his contact info. and post it

Interesting i look forward to the information

MillBay
07-29-2011, 12:25 PM
The boots I got for my dog looked like clown shoes on her. Funny but not to practical. Would be interested in hearing about better ones.