PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been through Dease Lake?

Doug
07-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I am doing my Great Western Road Trip this fall and need to get from Fort Fraser to Whitehorse. I know a guy in Burns Lake I would like to visit, so I am almost to Smithers.........rather than turn around and drive three hours back to Prince George, I was looking at the map and saw the highway from Kitwanga up through Dease Lake and then Watson Lake. I have driven the southern portion of the Alaska Highway (many years ago), but was never on Hwy 37 up through that Dease Lake country. Sounds like it is pretty magnificent scenery - but if there are no fuel stops, I would be screwed.

Has anybody got recent experience with it? I would be looking at mid September, driving an F-250 diesel with a truck camper on the back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Doug

kennyj
07-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Awesome drive. There's enough gas stops that you don't have to worry.
kenny

HD95
07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
As Kenny says, there are enough fuel stops along the way to make it to where you want to go.I've driven to Dease many times.Enjoy the fantastic views.

rec
07-25-2011, 07:07 PM
drove it last summer comming back from Whitehoarse and Alaska good hwy no problems getting fuel the scenery is great Ron

Ruger4
07-25-2011, 07:09 PM
I've only flown into Whitehorse , never driven , the landscape from above looks amazing as you approach the booming metropolis !!

shotgunner
07-25-2011, 07:37 PM
fuel avaiulable at Stewart, Bell 2 crossing, Tatoga Lk., Iskut, Dease lake, Cassiar Junc. ( jade city ) and at the Junc with the Alaska Hwy. Enjoy the trip there is some fantastic scenery and history to discover.

rgv
07-25-2011, 07:48 PM
mid-September = winter hours at Kitwanga and all the way north

Otherwise no problems, only a couple stretches of gravel, unless you count the last hundred miles south of the YT border which you will wish was gravel so they could grade it.

If you are early enough in September and haven't seen it before, duck into Hyder ~120 km round trip and go to the bear viewing area at Fish Creek where you can watch the grizzlies come in to fatten up on salmon.

Salty
07-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Been up only as far as Iskut once Doug and I was 13 yrs old, you might want to listen to these other fellas :mrgreen:

Doug
07-26-2011, 05:17 AM
Thanks guys, much appreciated! I figured there had to be fuel stops - but the F-250 gets a bit thirsty when she has the camper on, and I can see that there is more than one hill to climb on that route! :mrgreen:

I was thinking that coming back from Whitehorse (enroute to Campbell River and Alert Bay and other hot spots) that I might take the Prince Rupert - Port Hardy ferry. For $880.00 I reckon I'll drive! :shock:

Any more advice about things I should see, keep 'em coming. I am planning to press pretty well straight through - got to get to Whitehorse, hook up with a buddy or two, then moose and caribou hunting up Keno City way. That's nice country too!

Doug

bighornbob
07-26-2011, 08:36 AM
There are enough gas stations, but do not pass one expecting gas at another. I fill up at every station because you never know. Also dont expect to pull into one of these at 11pm and get gas, most close at 8-9pm.

The last time I came through there heading south, I stopped in Dease Lake to fuel up and a power outage just happened so there pumps were not working. They said Hydro was called but not sure when they would be up and running??? There was still at least 4 hours of daytime driving so I did not want to sit there and wait.

They said the next gas station was only an hour away and since I had enough gas to get there I left. I got to the next gas station and it was closed for the night. Cant remember if it was a Sunday or not but it closed at 8pm I think. A local said the next station was only about 45 or so minutes south but was unsure when they closed. I decided to drive that distance as I had no real choice, I stay the night where I am waiting for the gas station to open or I do the same an hour down the highway. I made it to the next gas station and they were still open so I filled up and drove another few hours til I got tired.

BHB

Doug
07-26-2011, 08:50 AM
There are enough gas stations, but do not pass one expecting gas at another. I fill up at every station because you never know. Also dont expect to pull into one of these at 11pm and get gas, most close at 8-9pm.

The last time I came through there heading south, I stopped in Dease Lake to fuel up and a power outage just happened so there pumps were not working. They said Hydro was called but not sure when they would be up and running??? There was still at least 4 hours of daytime driving so I did not want to sit there and wait.

They said the next gas station was only an hour away and since I had enough gas to get there I left. I got to the next gas station and it was closed for the night. Cant remember if it was a Sunday or not but it closed at 8pm I think. A local said the next station was only about 45 or so minutes south but was unsure when they closed. I decided to drive that distance as I had no real choice, I stay the night where I am waiting for the gas station to open or I do the same an hour down the highway. I made it to the next gas station and they were still open so I filled up and drove another few hours til I got tired.

BHB

My thinking EXACTLY. Ran into that last summer up near Top of the World Highway in Northern Yukon. Never pass up a chance to refuel!

Doug

Mik
07-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Great Drive, lots of fuel stops, enjoy it.

Foxton Gundogs
07-26-2011, 05:23 PM
I lived, worked hunted and packed up there for 2 years back in the early 80s AWSOME country well worth the trip lots of good lakes for rainbow sout of the devide and lakers north small lake doesnt mean no fish. Greyling in the rivers, You dont have to get to far off the beaten track into the willows for some great ptarmigan shooting. My waterfowl partner is headed up ont he Gnat for a month or so of hunting fishing before the upland season starts in th okanogan. Retired lucky bast*rd. Well worth the trip.