PDA

View Full Version : Bull Moose draw 3-42

VIRuger
07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Hey guys hate to be the noobie on the site asking for tips so quickly but my buddy got a bull draw in 3-42 and looking around the net this seemed like a great place to start gathering some information.

He is going to Kamloops next weekend and plans on doing some recon on the area and I'm also going to probably head up for a weekend to do some advanced scouting. I'm wondering which part of 3-42 we should be concentrating on. Should we be looking at camping around the northern part of Adam's Lake or would we be better off concentrating our efforts a little more north and heading in around Blue River?

I looked at the archives on the site and I saw that there was a thread not too long ago about 3-42 being a bit overgrown in the southern areas. Is this indeed the case? Are there more cut options north?

Finally since he is the only one with a draw how is the deer hunting in the different parts of the region and are we likely to see both mulies and white tails or primarily just mulies?

What are the camping options like in different parts of the region?

Any advice you guys can give will be very appreciated and will definitely cut down on our scouting hours if we can get a rough idea of the best general are to head to.

Thanks again.

Jelvis
07-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Wow lol that's quite a list there lol.
Mu 3-42 Tumtum Lake ...............the Upper Adams go up the Harbour Lake fsr.
More moose in the Upper Adams system of roads
Mule deer hunting is fair to good
Variables for camping cuz don't know how or what you got going for rides and camp
Now check your map book and make sure for your self where this is?
Good Luck (check regulations and mu boundaries) and leh information on 3-42
Jelvis Parsley

VIRuger
07-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Yeah I guess that was a mouthfull. Thanks for the response. Gives me a place to start. Judging by your response I'm going to have to have a closer look at the MU in relation to some of the towns.

As far as camping goes, we are set to go with campers or wall tents and would even look at a cabin if there was an oppourtunity since it looks like we are only going to be up for 7days and would cut way down on set-up and tear down time.

Standard vehicles trucks and quads. Although I would bring my little tinny up if the fishing is good and there are some hunting oppourtunities off the water.

Darksith
07-25-2011, 02:47 PM
I hate getting milked for info by newbies...join the site, be a contributing member, then ask about how to hunt an area that you have no idea about. You gotta wine and dine me before I'll give it up.

Jelvis, whats up with the one line answers? Im a wee bit disapointed that you didn't make his head spin with riddles.

VIRuger
07-25-2011, 04:56 PM
That's fair. Actually been lurking without posting for a few weeks. Been waiting for something in the island section of the forum that I could chime into and contribute something usefull to. After reading many of Jelvis' answers on previous topics I was kinda surprised(and thankful) by the straightforwardness as well. I'm not a fan of travelling on a trip this blind(my LEH was put in for 7-28 where I've been before) but he put his in in this region and got it and I didn't get mine so I figured if I'm just out for immatures either way I may as well accompany him. If all I can get at this time is the point in the right direction(and thanks for that) I can make it work.

fearless
07-25-2011, 07:26 PM
I hate getting milked for info by newbies...join the site, be a contributing member, then ask about how to hunt an area that you have no idea about. You gotta wine and dine me before I'll give it up.

Jelvis, whats up with the one line answers? Im a wee bit disapointed that you didn't make his head spin with riddles.

Boy I'd hate to see your wine and dine bill. lol

Darksith
07-25-2011, 07:41 PM
nah, I was a bit harsh, musta been a bad day at work. sry bout that gl on the hunt.

dana
07-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Look at the boundaries of the unit. You won't be hunting anywhere near Blue River as that isn't in your unit. You can access the unit from the Finn though, but the watershed boundary into the Tum is your boundary. Don't be hunting the Finn until you are passed Salmon lake and heading down into the Tum. If there is snow, this isn't the best access. It can be nasty getting up over the Finn and down into the Finn/Tum with snow. This is pretty much the most north access you'll have. And from there the unit goes all the way down to North end of Adams Lake. Again down there be sure of your boundaries as you don't want to be hunting in 3-37. If you are traveling the Tum Tum, be sure to have a 2 way radio and call your kms. The road is busy with both mining and logging traffic. As for camping, you can camp pretty much anywhere. Nice sites at Tum Tum Lake and at Mica.

VIRuger
07-25-2011, 10:36 PM
nah, I was a bit harsh, musta been a bad day at work. sry bout that gl on the hunt.

No worries. I understood where you were coming from and thanks for the wishes.

VIRuger
07-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Look at the boundaries of the unit. You won't be hunting anywhere near Blue River as that isn't in your unit. You can access the unit from the Finn though, but the watershed boundary into the Tum is your boundary. Don't be hunting the Finn until you are passed Salmon lake and heading down into the Tum. If there is snow, this isn't the best access. It can be nasty getting up over the Finn and down into the Finn/Tum with snow. This is pretty much the most north access you'll have. And from there the unit goes all the way down to North end of Adams Lake. Again down there be sure of your boundaries as you don't want to be hunting in 3-37. If you are traveling the Tum Tum, be sure to have a 2 way radio and call your kms. The road is busy with both mining and logging traffic. As for camping, you can camp pretty much anywhere. Nice sites at Tum Tum Lake and at Mica.

Appreciate the info. TBH I haven't bought the Thompson map book yet(works been nuts should be able to get one this weekend) and I was going with the research my buddy was sending me on Blue River which he thought was in the area.
Thispost is the type of info I was really looking for. I like the idea of having a clue before I head up there next month.

If I'm driving up from VI and going through Kamloops am I best off going up HWY 5 and cutting in at Vavenby to the Tum Tum/Upper Adams area or is there a more efficient way to drive to the area?

doubled
07-26-2011, 05:33 AM
You could go in at Louis Creek and drive to Adams Lake and up along it from there too. Tight road in spots once you hit the lake and make sure of the radio.

dana
07-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Rd 2 Vavenby-Adams is the best way to access the unit. 38 km on 2 is the Tum junction. Which season are you hunting, Oct or Nov?

VIRuger
07-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Oct. Prob 5th to the 13th.

dana
07-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Best to go for the Oct 1st opener and catch the peak of the rut. There are 2 places I'd spend a lot of time calling, the meadows just north of Tum Tum Lake and the meadows between 3-12 km on the Tum main. About 60 kms between the 2 but both worth calling during opening weekend.

VIRuger
07-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Best to go for the Oct 1st opener and catch the peak of the rut. There are 2 places I'd spend a lot of time calling, the meadows just north of Tum Tum Lake and the meadows between 3-12 km on the Tum main. About 60 kms between the 2 but both worth calling during opening weekend.

I wish that we were making it for the opener but between work and family commitments the 5th will have to be our first day there(hoping to get the travel done on the evening of the 4th). Hopefully we can still call one in:) Appreciate the tips on the 2 meadows, I'll look for them when I head up next month.

dana
07-29-2011, 08:36 PM
They will still be rutting during the early part of your dates. You'll see that taper off throughout your timeframe. An added bonus to your timeframe is the whitetail doe opener. This is also a detriment, as you will see the MU go from very little amount of hunting pressure to a ton in a very short timeframe. A lot of region 3 locals know the Adams and the Tum Tum hold more whiteys than most other places in the Region and last year it was very very busy during that doe season. It didn't take the whitetails much more than a day to figure out they needed to be hiding, and hid they did. I didn't start seeing them again until late winter/early spring. LOL!

M.Dean
07-29-2011, 09:22 PM
A friend of mine logged the Tumtum years ago, they had a camp set up at the lake. He'd gotten married a few months before this, so after a couple weeks he decided to have his New Bride come up to the lake and spend a week in the travel trailer! All was fine for the first night, he fell huge timber all day, and layed pipe all night, or so the story go's! Second night in, my buddy wakes up too his new bride just a screaming! The trailer is rock'in, and nobodys knock'in!!! He looks out the little window and he's face to chest of a massive Grizzly Bear!!! Now, my buddy's unsure if the G Bear wants to eat him, or lay pipe with his young bride!!! He grab's his trusty 30 30, opens the door and starts jacking rounds through his gun until it's empty!!! He slams the door shut, then tells his wife to shut the Fu** up so he can hear if the Bear's gone! Anyway's, next morning at first light her car started up long before the first skidder did for work, and shes gone, never to return to the Tumtum!!! Have a great trip!!!

VIRuger
07-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Cool and crappy at the same time I guess. So I'm guessing that we may as well each go up with a moose, white tail and mulie tag each? I've never hunted white tail before so that is a cool bonus.

Dana not sure if you saw one of my earlier posts but are there parts of the area to have a good day fishing in a tinny and watch the shoreline?

If we have an indian summer could it be too warm there to hang meat for an extended period? And if so are there places to rent cold storage space in Vavenby or any other nearby town that you know of?

Thanks for taking the time to type up some helpful posts.