PDA

View Full Version : ambassadeur worm gear shaft

Krico
07-24-2011, 07:38 PM
I have an ABU 5600 C4 and an ABU 6600 Morrum that are both piling up the line on one side, it appears the worm gear shaft is worn out. Anyone know where to order the parts from? Is it a simple repair job, or do you have to keep track of 100 tiny parts?

Thanks in advance!

NaStY
07-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Mikes reel repair does a great job. He will even make it better than new with better gears and drag washers......

winchester284
07-24-2011, 07:49 PM
I have an ABU 5600 C4 and an ABU 6600 Morrum that are both piling up the line on one side, it appears the worm gear shaft is worn out. Anyone know where to order the parts from? Is it a simple repair job, or do you have to keep track of 100 tiny parts?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like the pawl is broken. It's the little pin that guides the line guide back and forth. It is accessed by unscrewing the cap on the bottom of the line guide. Most tackle stores carry this part as it wears out fairly quickly. If you can't find it in a tackle store, look up your reel schematic on Mikes website and you can order the part on line.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/index.php?osCsid=40cccc2e85d065f5d30b8ad5eac72f1e His shop is in Abbotsford.

ultramafic
07-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Mikes reel repair in abby has all the parts you would need. I personally just buy the parts and do the work myself. They are lots of little parts inside but its not that complicated if you take your time. A digi camera might be some help if you are worried about taking it apart and need to see how it was put together in the first place. The worm gear is pretty easy but would suggest the "paul" not sure on that spelling but its the little tooth that goes in the worm gear to make wind the line move back and forth. If your worm gear is toast that little jaw is likely really worn.

mike

M.Dean
07-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Hey, I've got the same problem! Sitting in front of me on my desk is a Calcutta 400B, seems to skip or something, so last fall I D/L'ed the Spec's and parts sheet, ripped it apart and found out I know nothing about Calcutta 400 B Reels! I bought another one until this ones feeling better, so I'm still ready for 65 lbs Springs this fall! My son lives in Abby so I may get him to drop it off at Mikes for a Estimate.

Whonnock Boy
07-24-2011, 09:12 PM
The schematics for all the reels you are talking about can be found on Mike's website. I do them on all of my reels. When you replace the worm gear, you should always replace the pawl.

winchester284
07-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Hey, I've got the same problem! Sitting in front of me on my desk is a Calcutta 400B, seems to skip or something, so last fall I D/L'ed the Spec's and parts sheet, ripped it apart and found out I know nothing about Calcutta 400 B Reels! I bought another one until this ones feeling better, so I'm still ready for 65 lbs Springs this fall! My son lives in Abby so I may get him to drop it off at Mikes for a Estimate.

How does it skip? I have 2 Calcuttas that are 10 and 12 years old and I have rebuilt both a couple of times. The most common problem with them seems to be the one way bearing under the handle which causes it to slip. The other problem is the thumb release which wears out and doesn't release the line properly. Both repairs are easy to do as you don't need to get deep into the "little gears".

If you take it into Mikes you should do it soon as he starts getting quite backed up when Fraser salmon fishing starts.

TSW
07-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Bring it with you to Terrace and it should be no problem to get it fixed here in a matter of an hour or so. Cheap and easy fix.

In the mean time, if you need to get by, you can unscrew the pawl, and put something (like a small piece of a stick) and then screw it back together and it will often get you by for a bit. That's if it's the pawl...if it's the wormgear, it won't help.

Krico
07-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks guys!

I just happened to have an extra pawl laying around from another Morrum - and the 6600 is now operational. My fav reel is back in action!
Looks like the pawl in the 5600 C4 is worn too. I'll bring it along and hopefully be a 30 second fix too!