PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Hunting etiquette

Jim Prawn
07-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Going for our first sheep hunt Aug 20 somewhere around Muncho Lk. We have a couple specific spots refered to us by other sheep hunters that we are hoping to check out. I'm expecting it to be pretty busy so I was wondering what the general rule amongst you seasoned sheep hunters if there is a vehicle already parked where you want to start hiking in from. My thinking is to still go where we hope to and if you come across other hunters once in the bush either avoid them altogether if possible or approach them and determine where they plan to hunt and then go a different direction. Dont want to piss anyone off but also dont want to ruin our plans if this is acceptable.
Thanks.
JP

gerrygoat
07-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Just go out and try to avoid each other, we once made a deal with some guys that were camping in the same valley as us that we would hunt one side and they would hunt the other, on the first day they tried some "hail mary" shots at some rams on our side that probably weren't even legal. I guess the point of this story are there are all sorts of guys out there of with different levels of ethics, we also have had some good visits with other guys, we even became friends with a guy who also is an HBC member :)

frenchbar
07-24-2011, 07:27 PM
its acceptable...people are naturaly pissed off when they bump into other hunters in the same areas...just the way it is and always will be no matter if they let on that its no big deal..

Backcountry archer
07-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Sheep hunting is different than most other big game hunting such as Moose, deer, and Elk in that access in most cases is different. In most cases when Moose or Deer hunting, If I come on to a parked vehicle, I don't bother going in and respect the person before me.
When hunting sheep, this differs somewhat since you both have travelled many hours to get there and the Sheep range is usually so vast that you may never see that other hunter. For me, another hunter is usually a welcomed sight since the mountains can sometimes be a lonely place. You never know, an extra person might get something moving your way.
Just be yourself, have fun and bring home a big Stone's.

bigwhiteys
07-24-2011, 08:07 PM
If we are going somewhere and see others have gone in ahead, we'll go somewhere else. Around the 20th you've avoided the August 1st rush so it shouldn't be too bad.

When hunting sheep, this differs somewhat since you both have travelled many hours to get there

Exactly why we have no intention on impeding into someone elses little slice of sheep hunting heaven that they've spent coin and time to get to... We travel 5000-6000km round trip to go sheep hunting. We don't go to see other hunters, but we also have options on spots... We can alter our plan and change locations. The guys I've experienced that tend to "just go" in behind someone usually don't have many other places to go.

If the drainage opens up and offers lots of space then you're probably OK - If it's a tight squeeze at the head (some drainages are) you're probably going to piss someone off while you both glass the same places.

Whatever floats your boat.

Carl

proguide66
07-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Theres soo many personalities in the human herd. Most guys see a truck in a 'spot' first , say for deer and usually turn around and find another.Other guys rush past the guys there first and dont even acknowlege them. All you can do is treat people they way you want to betreated.
I have ridden up narrow drainages with a doze horss in tow wic lads to two 'small areas' only to have guys keep followin me and rush by.
Some access spots are huge and fork off into multiple spots so walking on top of other guys fresh sign should be expected. I dont think I could keep going into a box end drain while someone else's sign was ahead of me.
Years back a couple guys I know told me about there sheep hunt one year.They said a truck was parked at the head of the 'spot'( wich was small) .They went on smirking about running into the guys ahead of them as the guys were resting for bit and they kept hammering right by them and didnt even say hello...hmm...lame.

Anyway...good luck!

fireguy
07-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Part of the reason late september, early october is my favorite stone sheep time, way less hunting pressure as most guys are trying for moose at that time. i only ever saw one person when I was in my valley hunting and it was the guide (no truck parked at the end of the road) H told us how there was no sheep in the drainage and wished us luck.
We both took nice rams two days later.

Backcountry archer
07-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Part of the reason late september, early october is my favorite stone sheep time, way less hunting pressure as most guys are trying for moose at that time.

October is a great time for a thick cape as well.

bigwhiteys
07-24-2011, 09:22 PM
I dont think I could keep going into a box end drain while someone else's sign was ahead of me. Years back a couple guys I know told me about there sheep hunt one year.They said a truck was parked at the head of the 'spot'( wich
was small) .They went on smirking about running into the guys ahead of them as the guys were resting for bit and they kept hammering right by them and didnt even say hello...hmm...lame.

I was parked in a spot on the 27th of July one year, going in on the 28th. In that one evening and early morning, 8 different trucks came in (popular spot), all were really good guys, chatted for a bit, and once they knew where we were going they all turned around and went to other spots aside from one party, who insisted on trying to first instigate a fist fight with us, and then afterwards, try to race us into a dead end drainage. We arrived a day ahead of them...? wtf was the issue? I've run into a few of the guys who turned around over the years too, and we've been able to return the favor of letting them have an area they arrived to before we did... In one instance, we'd even spotted rams we wanted a closer look at but backed off because as proguide said... treat others how you want to be treated. The guy was in his 60's and hunting with his grandson... Who were we to f--k that opportunity for them over!?!

Carl

leadpillproductions
07-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Hope we dont have any problem ,but the mountains are a big place .

Darksith
07-25-2011, 02:55 PM
I would always make contact if your already way in there, that way you can know what they are doing and vise versa, this would keep the bump ins to a minimum after the fact, plus add a bit of security in case something goes wrong since you have an idea where they will be if you needed them. Also you might exchange radio freqs, cell/sat #s etc etc.

wiggy
07-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Common sense; id hang a right climb over the next ridge and head into a another draw before id follow someone in. Lots of stories about a holes who just dont get it and probably dont want to