PDA

View Full Version : Rod Weight

Shooter Jr.
07-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Well, recently i've been getting interested in fly fishing. I have done a fair bit of research online and I figured a 6 wt fly rod would be good for fishing the campbell river. So I bought a 6 wt. I have done some more research and now i seem to be finding out that i might be "under gunned" with a 6 wt. What is your opinion on a 6 wt. fly rod for pinks? should i take it back? or will it be fine?

Shooter Jr.
07-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Just like to add, i have never fly fished before and I am used to being "rough" with my casting rod and just kind of reel them in. I understand that the drag on the reel with be a huge part of fly fishing, so i don't want to break the rod while I'm still learning to fish.

Steeleco
07-23-2011, 10:51 PM
I've fished the Indian river for pinks on the fly a few times. I use a Sage 5wt and had no problem at all. You'll likely loose a few flies, but if you get into tying your own, it's won't cost too much.
As to the drag, I nearly always have my drag backed of to near the lower setting, I use the palm of my left hand to slow the run of a bigger fish.

If you use a tippet that's close to the weight of your quarry (6lb to 8lb) and a large fish goes on a long run, palm the real and make the tippet break, your gear will be fine and it's only cost you a fly.

Shooter Jr.
07-23-2011, 11:01 PM
That's the other thing i was going to ask about. The fly rod i bought does not have a tippet, or maybe it does but no leader, anyway, one of them is not on there, so i buy a tippet and tie one on? or is the tippet just a preference, the leader thing that is on there now, is tapered at the end, so i would think i would be alright. Bare with me, I'm new :mrgreen:
I have TONS to learn.

Steeleco
07-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Tippet is the fishing line on the end or your tapered leader, your hook ties to this. I use a tapered leader a few times as is when new, then after 3 or 4 flies have been tied and removed, I'll add in a few feet of tippet to make it close to the original length of the tapered leader.

You should do a little reading on a few fly fishing sites, it will all become clear in time. There's a few knots your going to need to learn too.

Shooter Jr.
07-23-2011, 11:16 PM
just watched a video on connecting the tippet to the leader, makes sense now, and it turns out i already know how to do one of the knots, thanks for the help.

Steeleco
07-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Check out this site, lots "O" knots!! http://www.animatedknots.com/indexbasics.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Lillypuff
07-23-2011, 11:29 PM
I have caught many pinks on a 5 and 6 weight rod no problems. The thing I love about fishing for those is you don't need a long leader. Like the previous poster said about palming the reel. Watch your knuckles

gerrygoat
07-23-2011, 11:32 PM
I use a 9 weight St Croix Avid 3 piece for salmon and really like it but we can hook anything from a pink to chinook in the Skeena. Have a 6 weight Sage it could easily handle a pink, if you want to go after the larger species something like a good 8 or 9 weight would be better

Wood butcher
07-24-2011, 07:23 AM
6wt rod will be fine. I usually fish a 5wt but it's a 10ft'er. I have fished pinks with a shorter 5 wts and even they do ok. You may be alittle under-gunned when one of those pesky coho's grabs your fly though:mrgreen:.

Even if you ended up under-gunned who cares, that some of the fun isn't it.

Have you taken up this hobby so that you've got something to do when you tag out early :-P

Tight lines.

gerrygoat
07-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Look at it this way, if you are a bit undergunned you can always buy a second rod :)

wrenchhead
07-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Little undergunned if your looking to catch and release them in the river. But otherwise have a good leader and lots of backing and have at er.

Salty
07-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Your rig will be fine for the Campbell pink run Jr. Like said It'll get a little interesting if you nail a big coho, LOL but if it heads to China just point your rod tip at him and palm the real like Steelco says to purposely bust the line - it'll nearly always break right at the fly so no big deal. After you get a bit of practice with your 6wt you will be able to land the odd Coho with some patience too. And if you get right hooked to this fly fishing thing like i pretty much did a few yrs ago you'll want a few rods. A 4 wt for trout fishing, your 6 wt for fishing smaller rivers and even beach fishing, and an 8 or 9 wt for big rivers and the salt chuck when big salmon and steelhead are on the menu. Have fun, its a blast :-D

Shooter Jr.
07-24-2011, 05:54 PM
I don't have to worry to much about the Coho's, i only fish in the summer to get outdoors/something to do, the Coho's run the campbell later in the season and don't even open up till Oct. 1. By that time, I'm hunting 24/7, i don't fish at all during hunting season.

crazybushcreature
07-24-2011, 06:58 PM
i use a 8 weight for salmon. check out www.flybc.ca , www.bcfishingreports.com , www.flyfishbc.com

Wood butcher
07-24-2011, 07:40 PM
I don't have to worry to much about the Coho's, i only fish in the summer to get outdoors/something to do, the Coho's run the campbell later in the season and don't even open up till Oct. 1. By that time, I'm hunting 24/7, i don't fish at all during hunting season.

Your missing out!!
Nothing wrong with a combo trip especially around opening day when it's really hot. Hunt the morning, fish midday and hunt the evening.
Plenty of early coho north of you well before Oct. No shortage of deer,elk and bears around either :-D

Shooter Jr.
07-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Your missing out!!
Nothing wrong with a combo trip especially around opening day when it's really hot. Hunt the morning, fish midday and hunt the evening.
Plenty of early coho north of you well before Oct. No shortage of deer,elk and bears around either :-D
maybe but we are usually hunting dawn till dusk.

Ozone
07-24-2011, 08:50 PM
maybe but we are usually hunting dawn till dusk.

Well you are for the first week, or do you think you can hold back this year and wait for the big ones later on:mrgreen:

32-40win
07-25-2011, 09:42 AM
You can also glue or tie a piece of leather to the bottom of the reel to use as a brake, saves knucklebusting, only requires 1 finger. Lefty Kreh put that in one of his books called something like "101 flyfishing tips". It works.

07-25-2011, 09:56 AM
I blasted you a pm,
But like many others have posted. You, in the end will need at least three rods if you get hooked. A 6# is the easiest weight of rod to learn to cast. And is the most versitile. Not too big for trout and not too small for a 5-6 lb pink. Dont get caught up in it all. You have got the right rod to learn on. Casting a 8wt all day is tough for a pro sometimes let alone a beginner. As well, beginning you should buy a rod that can do a broad range of things. When you get good you can focus on things more.

Get out there catch some fish, loose some fish. Dont over think things yet just get out and have fun. Save every penny you got for flies because you will need them! Sticking them into trees and poppin' 'em off on fish!

Shooter Jr.
07-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Well you are for the first week, or do you think you can hold back this year and wait for the big ones later on:mrgreen:

Hahaha, this year i will hold out, and besides, i still hunting whenever i can, i just don't always carry a rifle....

Shooter Jr.
07-25-2011, 01:36 PM
I blasted you a pm,
But like many others have posted. You, in the end will need at least three rods if you get hooked. A 6# is the easiest weight of rod to learn to cast. And is the most versitile. Not too big for trout and not too small for a 5-6 lb pink. Dont get caught up in it all. You have got the right rod to learn on. Casting a 8wt all day is tough for a pro sometimes let alone a beginner. As well, beginning you should buy a rod that can do a broad range of things. When you get good you can focus on things more.

Get out there catch some fish, loose some fish. Dont over think things yet just get out and have fun. Save every penny you got for flies because you will need them! Sticking them into trees and poppin' 'em off on fish!
haha, will do 835, and thanks for the PM.

08-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Got any fish yet?
Must be gettin up there soon