PDA

View Full Version : fishing from shore

goon
07-23-2011, 10:17 AM
my son has to fish from shore as i don't have a boat or canoe to get him out there.
i need some help in telling him how to go about fishing from shore ie tactics,lures, baits any advice would be appreciated. we live in prince george also if any one has a canoe for sale [cheap] please let me know

Sandpiper
07-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Been a while since I've been to PG, but a reliable spot for productive shore fishing used to be the Nechako River. Head out on N. Nechako Rd. onto the Takla Forest Rd. Just past the large clay/sand bank are several spots on the river that are accessible and productive. Just remember to use single barbless hooks as Bulltrout must be released.
S

Sideofabarn
07-23-2011, 11:13 AM
And further to that, watch the river levels as I'm sure you're aware the Nechako is high and dirty right now. If you're taking your son, have you been out to Ferguson Lake? If you live closer to College Heights, you might want to give Shane Lake behind UNBC a try. As for tactics, bait such as worms would likely work fine under a bobber, or try throwing a few spinners, and vary the retrieve speed.

Benthos
07-23-2011, 11:38 AM
people cast from the dock at shane lake and do well with lures. could also try ferguson. both are stocked as urban put and take fisheries, and both have docks to fish from

Krico
07-23-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm assuming by your post that you don't fish.

There are countless pieces of water around Prince George - just depends on how much you're willing to travel, and roughness of roads you're willing to drive on. Picking up a Fishing Mapbook for Northern BC at any local book store, they're made by the same company that makes Backroad Mapbooks. I think you can even order them online. Tons of info on available species, recommended techniques/gear etc. Heck, if you're really cheap, or short on cash, just read it for free in the store!

With kids the simplest shore fishing is casting out a worm on a simple hook, suspended by a bobber. Just let it sit, and when the bobber goes down, fish on! I've seen guys slay big rainbows right at the Dragon Lake boat launch this way - though not likely a good tactic in mid summer when fish are more likely to be in deeper water, or taking bugs off the surface.
If the kids get bored easily, try casting spoons and spinners into one of the countless rivers or creeks around here. At least it keeps their hands busy, even if the fish aren't biting.

Flyfishing is a whole other can of worms (no pun intended) but can be very very productive as well.

Happy fishing!

sobirch
07-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Buy a spincast reel and rod. Some torpedo bobbers. Use a 18 to 30 inch leader and a worm or a fly of local choice and away you go. If your son is old enough some hip waders or chest waders to get a little away from the trees on the shore will help. I spent years when I was a kid taking my dirt bike and telescopic rod to all the small lakes with nothing but my fly box. You can set up an old tire in the yard for him to practice casting the bobber into. Start at shorter distance then keep moving till you run out yard, just like grandpa taught me lol.

goon
07-24-2011, 10:59 AM
ok thanks guys will give those a try and will let you know how it goes

goon
08-01-2011, 07:38 PM
i would like to give a big thank you to moosecaller for selling me his old canoe cheap. we had the pleasure of trying it out today at frost lake. my son caught his first trout today. it wasnt the biggest but he caught one and that is all that matters. again thanks alot

Fixit
08-07-2011, 08:01 PM
thumbs up for his first trout, and to moosecaller too!