PDA

View Full Version : are you into GOAT hunting?

pse&remington
07-23-2011, 09:38 AM
I am thinking about a Goat Hunt this year, but have never been. Im not worried about being in shape or the hike (for days) it will take.

I am curious as to how you all pack out all that meat and the hide?

What happens to the meat when it tumbles hundreds of feet down a mountain side?

How long can the deboned meat last in your pack with no air?

Do you cape it out for just a head mount cut around the upper back and then cape the rest for a rug?

Do you pack salt? or how do you deal with the hide?

Just looking to make sure I know how to take care of my hard earned prize!
Whats the point if you dont know what or how to deal with it.

ElectricDyck
07-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Here's a good youtube vid on skinning for lifesize: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssHvgiLgKIo&feature=related
Dick's Taxidermy has some good informative skinning and hide care videos on youtube. Lifesize goats are my favorite.

Barracuda
07-23-2011, 10:03 AM
I am thinking about a Goat Hunt this year, but have never been. Im not worried about being in shape or the hike (for days) it will take.

I am curious as to how you all pack out all that meat and the hide?

What happens to the meat when it tumbles hundreds of feet down a mountain side? --- it is tenderized

How long can the deboned meat last in your pack with no air? ----- you must eat it all on the mountain before it spoils

Do you cape it out for just a head mount cut around the upper back and then cape the rest for a rug? --- Because you packed light for a mountain hunt and didnt have enough warm clothing you will wat to make a nice warm Goat fur Jacket so trim to fit comfortably

Do you pack salt? --only enough to taste for all the goat you will be eating or how do you deal with the hide? -- uhhh,,,,, that thing keeping you warm is a goat fur jacket

Just looking to make sure I know how to take care of my hard earned prize!
Whats the point if you dont know what or how to deal with it.

hope this helps:mrgreen:

GoatGuy
07-23-2011, 11:47 AM
I am curious as to how you all pack out all that meat and the hide?.

On your back, dog or horse.

What happens to the meat when it tumbles hundreds of feet down a mountain side?.

Meat doesn't bruise once the heart stops beating.

How long can the deboned meat last in your pack with no air?.

Never had an issue as long as it's taken out at night and when you take a break during the day.

Do you cape it out for just a head mount cut around the upper back and then cape the rest for a rug?.

Cape it however you want.

Do you pack salt? or how do you deal with the hide?.

1-2 lbs works for a shoulder, 3-4 for a full. Key is to have it fleshed and make sure you get the ears, lips and nose. Sure this will create some discussion as there's guys that take 5 and even 10 lbs of salt.

fireguy
07-23-2011, 11:48 AM
I will tell you a funny story about my goat hunting, take it for whatever you want, maybe only to think outside the box.
We shot two goats on the side of the mountian, they both stopped sliding down the mountian about 200 yards below us, it was the end of november and there was lots of snow. We decided that the bigger of the two was going to get mounted as a life size mount and the other we were going to sell the life size hide to someone that needed it.
Solution, wrap each goat in a tarp and toboggan them down the mountian, which worked well until we got to the bottom, and had to fight the 4 plus feet of snow in the dark.
next solution, we walked out to our truck, put on our snowshoes, and dragged a canoe up the side of the mountian to the goats, loaded them both in and returned to the truck. After loading them into the truck we headed home, and a call to the taxidermist saying we were coming home late with two goats, he said he would leave his shop open and I could come in the morning and help him finish skinning them out. I might have not mentioned that they were both still whole.
The next morning, i got a call wondering how in the hell two whole goats ended up on his skinning room floor and why his shop was under water. i guess the snow packed in the fur had melted.
Anyhow I now have a beauty life sized goat on the wall and my taxidermist still tells that story about me bringing in two whole goats at the same time.

The Silent Stalker
07-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Fireguy, you're awesome. That's funny stuff and I would have loved to have seen his face when he walked into his shop.

fireguy
07-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Just remember to bring snowshoes for the deep snow, a tarp to get your goat down the steep parts and a canoe to get him the rest of the way down the mountian. There was a 10 ft ladder along that we used for something as well so you had better put the ladder in as well just in case.

pse&remington
07-24-2011, 09:56 PM
hey barracuda

Im just trying to learn, thanks for all your help.

Just remember when your stuck

fireguy
07-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Goat hunting and what you bring with you will depend on how far off the beaten path you are going. For day hike type hunting I bring an empty pack and only the essentials to skin it out ect, along with some rope to tie it to the mountianside. Try the gutless method of de-boning your goat, it works well and you take the meat off the whole goat as it sits there tied to the mountian. I don't generally bring salt if I am within a day of my truck, that way I can spend the proper time fleshing it out.
A good pack will hold all the contents of a properly dressed goat, it will just be heavy so take your time getting off the mountian.
Or use my tarp/canoe method, that works well.

pse&remington
07-26-2011, 01:29 PM
thanks fire guys a couple good ideas I will use for sure.

tomahawk
07-26-2011, 04:02 PM
A lot depends on where you get your goat but recovering the meat is possible unless it has suffered from a massive free fall or it takes you a day or more to get to the dead goat. If you are lucky enough to have a north facing slope around it can hold small pockets of snow where thet meat can be cooled and stored till your ready to exit the area. I have packed salt for mine but it is extra weight that you have to carry but preserving the hide to the best possible shape is paramount to me after killing the animal as well as getting as much meat out as possible if it is salvageable.

bigben
07-26-2011, 05:14 PM
I will tell you a funny story about my goat hunting, take it for whatever you want, maybe only to think outside the box.
We shot two goats on the side of the mountian, they both stopped sliding down the mountian about 200 yards below us, it was the end of november and there was lots of snow. We decided that the bigger of the two was going to get mounted as a life size mount and the other we were going to sell the life size hide to someone that needed it.
Solution, wrap each goat in a tarp and toboggan them down the mountian, which worked well until we got to the bottom, and had to fight the 4 plus feet of snow in the dark.
next solution, we walked out to our truck, put on our snowshoes, and dragged a canoe up the side of the mountian to the goats, loaded them both in and returned to the truck. After loading them into the truck we headed home, and a call to the taxidermist saying we were coming home late with two goats, he said he would leave his shop open and I could come in the morning and help him finish skinning them out. I might have not mentioned that they were both still whole.
The next morning, i got a call wondering how in the hell two whole goats ended up on his skinning room floor and why his shop was under water. i guess the snow packed in the fur had melted.
Anyhow I now have a beauty life sized goat on the wall and my taxidermist still tells that story about me bringing in two whole goats at the same time.

Thats a classic great story