PDA

View Full Version : Cold Cariboo Chilcotin

srupp
07-22-2011, 01:31 PM
brrrrrrrrrrrr it was 51? degrees in Toronto past day or so... really hot

The Cariboo Chilcotin had snow and frost in places last night :confused:

Harvesting a deer or moose... lately the nights have been cold enough to keep it overnight..been on an extended nights due to staff shortages..had to wear a fleece vest AND a rain jacket...it has virtually rained all summer with perhaps no more than 2 days in a row without significant rain,...2 nights ago 80 kph was THE top speed due to so much water on the rds..hydroplaning..

Some of the smaller back rd culverts and bridges are just now getting threatened from the rain and FINALLY the snow melt..

Will make for a very very interesting hunting season....

Was listening to the MOOSE count from the past spring/// DOWN over 1,000 animals in the Cariboo mts area ..WEST of Williams Lake...:evil:..

Wolves... and "perhaps" some animals moved their wintering locations SIGNIFICANTLY due to snow paqcks not seen in over 25 years..

brrrrrrrrr

Steven

oldtimer
07-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Saw some town deer with Water Wings on due to the high water level :) Most loggers can't get to their blocks and even if they could the logging trucks couldn't. Some mills down to 2 or 3 day supply. Tough freakin spring and summer.

Jelvis
07-22-2011, 03:14 PM
How cold is it in the chilly coatin? I saw a moose up there the other day wearing a thermal vest it was so dang cold, one of the deer had snow shoes on.

BradB
07-22-2011, 03:17 PM
So what you're saying is that when I get to Horsefly in August, I should make sure I bring my toque? ;-)

papaken
07-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Is it possible the weather could change the rut timing???

Jelvis
07-22-2011, 03:24 PM
It was so cold by Willy's Pond I heard a mule deer asking a cougar for a little snuggle.

rcar
07-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I haven't even bothered going to the cabin near Lac La Hache yet this year......wondering if the crappy weather has extended the good trout fishing though...

KB90
07-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Yup, the weather has been miserable here in Quesnel. I'm still wearing pants! There has not been two consecutive rain free days that I can remember.

Rain Rain Rain, Cold Cold Cold.

We have friends who live on the lake and we've only been out for one nice day this year. t's starting to get depressing....

troutseeker
07-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Hum, what's 51 degrees in Celtigrade?

Jelvis
07-22-2011, 04:11 PM
How cold is it up by Willy's Pond?
.. it was so cold by Willy's Pond the Mayor wants to change the name of the town to.
..........................Chilly's Pond lol.
Chilly's

MuleyMadness
07-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Is it possible the weather could change the rut timing???

It shouldn't not really. The rut generally is determined by daylight hours and lunar cycles. When it's time it mate, it's time to mate :). That being said, in warmer years with a lack of snow it seems like the ruts are less intense, but I believe that is due to the fact that the animals aren't nearly as bunched up as they would be if half their ranges were covered in snow.

Jelvis
07-22-2011, 04:42 PM
It's so cold in the Willy's Pond area that a doe in estrus told a buck, "Not tonight I gotta headache!"
:-D

rollingrock
07-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Ohm, well, we still have August and early September. The whole August might change the whole situation. Let's wait and see....

Jordo
07-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Best summer ever! The cooler the better!

tuffteddyb
07-22-2011, 05:12 PM
dontmind the coolness here but getting REALLY SICK OF ALL THIS RAIN!
ALMOST HAD TO BREAK OUT THE WOOLIES THIS MORNIN!!

rollingrock
07-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Best summer ever! The cooler the better!

No kidding! And I don't have to water my grass and flowers every day! :D

srupp
07-22-2011, 06:21 PM
no it wont change the rut..however it definatley will affect access to certain areas...

Jelvis thats some funny shit...

steven

XPEIer
07-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Talked to a few people from work, 2 inches of snow down Big Creek way this week, Snow on the mtns around Wells, Yanks Peak Trail covered in snow at 1750m, 267mm of rain here in Williams Lake since the first of May, snow at Horsefly July longweekend.

Fraser river is full, Cottonwood is rising, all lakes are maxed out, roads out west are a mess, crews getting stuck daily.

But Canada is having a heat wave.

burger
07-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Hum, what's 51 degrees in Celtigrade?

That is in centigrade. He's talking about the centre of the universe!

Flingin' Sticks
07-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Stat for thought...Prince George has had rain for 25 straight days!!! two more weeks of this and I'm building a big boat I think

SHAKER
07-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Your not the only one's.... I've been getting up to 28 or 29 in the day time but I still have to put my fleece pull over on in the evenings and have had rain 4 days a week here in the cactus country. I personally love the cooler weather but the cherries SUCK! Thankfully I got a good friend with the best cherries but their still not quite what they usually are. Should grow some good antler here in the southern regions anyways.

chilcotin hillbilly
07-23-2011, 07:51 AM
My wife is going crazy as the weather sucks for summer camp. Everyday out on the horses she gets caught out out in a down pour. This morning looks like a beauty so off to the lake with the camp kids.

Jelvis
07-23-2011, 12:09 PM
It's so cold in Chilly's Pond, the ducks and geese by the Fraser are playing shinny hockey to keep warm! (Cymbell CRASHHH) the teams names? CHILLY vs WILLY
Jel .. It's so cold at CHILLY WILLY"S the ducks are wearing ear muffs .............lol
it's so cold the governments handing out free mittens for anyone in the Cat family ..
CRASHHHHH..... :-D

srupp
07-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Ya Doug..must suck for the kids too..hows the moquitoes out there??

when in town call so we can do coffee..HOT STEAMING COFFEE..

say HI to the Mrs.

cheers
Steven

Springer
07-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Ya Elmer I think web feet would be handy for getting around here also. Between the runoff, Heavy rains and tornadoes we have had its been tough fishing. Now snow in July thats ridiculous !! I am however looking for a one man pontoon boat ,just may come in handy for getting to work..
With the way this year has been shaping up with natural disastors around the world etc i am thinking the Mayan Calendar may be to damn close come 2012.

chilcotin hillbilly
07-23-2011, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=srupp;952033]Ya Doug..must suck for the kids too..hows the moquitoes out there??

when in town call so we can do coffee..HOT STEAMING COFFEE..

say HI to the Mrs.

Steve the mosquitos are worse then I have seen them in seven years. the mrs. says hi back and the end of august will be the first chance at a coffee in the pond.
Doug

srupp
07-23-2011, 08:01 PM
10-4 Bro

Steven

BromBones
07-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Rain for the last month straight. Putting a halt on some of my projects I had planned on getting finished up before hunting season gets in full swing. First time I've ever lit the wood stove in July.

On a positive note, it won't be hard to find water in the high country when I'm up lookin for sheep - been fairly cool and wet so far where I'm headed.

Jelvis
07-23-2011, 08:32 PM
It's so cold early this year up on Chilly's Puddle the moose were trying out different types of tungsten steel studs on their hooves.
Jp. One mule deer buck in velvet stole some kids ice skates out of the garage.

Darksith
07-24-2011, 07:40 AM
That is in centigrade. He's talking about the centre of the universe!
thats up deadman creek, the center of the universe that is.

akyne
07-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Ahhh, I see Darksith is a Buddhist! ;-)