PDA

View Full Version : LEH Spatsizi Caribou

Flyfisher
07-22-2011, 09:08 AM
I've drawn a bull caribou for the Spatsizi Area 6 20 Zone A running from October 1 to October 15, 2011. Odds were good for the draw--1.0:1. Does everyone else know something I don't? I've never hunted up there and would like to hear from someone who has. What is the temperature range that time of the year? Are animal plentiful? Any good guides about who could help me fill the tag?

yukon john
07-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Gonna be cold cold cold, even the outfitted is probably pulling out by the 15th

Stone Sheep Steve
07-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Meat shouldn't be very tasty by Oct 1. Antlers might taste better.

SSS

jml11
07-22-2011, 09:29 AM
I believe all the caribou spatsizi draws are good odds, mostly because they give out a lot of tags. Reason being is that only a small percentage will actually go and even a smaller percentage will harvest an animal. I have the August 15th to 31st draw at 1.3:1 odds...90 tags given out. Basically the government is giving out the large amount of tags to a hopefully achieve their harvest goals, probably a dozen animals or so.

The low success/participation is due to poor access, which most who apply don't even realize until they are drawn and begin researcching it (as shown on this forum time and time over). Fly-in or horesback is the best way, otherwise it is a lengthy hike off the Klappan Rail Grade (if not roadblocked...). October is potentially really cold and backpacking it could be tough, especially with snow. Benefit to you is you will be there when the animals are in large herds on the plateaus and if you find them you will have easy pickings. I am going in via horseback on August 15th and will be there for up to two and a half weeks. August isn't the best time for Caribou but with that amount of time in there I expect to find some animals. Also have a bull moose tag to use if we strike out on the caribou. The Collingwood's are the outfitter and they may be able to answer some of your questions, they have been helpful to us but we didn't tell them we would be hunting either :wink: . Good luck if you make it in!

rgv
07-22-2011, 12:30 PM
coldfish lake is around 4000 feet. Getting flown out on October 15th will be a little dicey. Heck, walking around the plateau on October 15th will be dicey.

BiG Boar
07-22-2011, 12:39 PM
$2000 flght in to Coldfish lake. 16 hour drive from Vancouver. The only reason they are on draw is because its a park I believe.

Flyfisher
07-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks jml11, that's great information! Just what I was looking for.

digger dogger
07-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Try calling Tatogga lake resort, if you are flying in.
I've heard in the past that there is no garantee about picking you up past oct 1st. Possible ice on the lakes.

25tikka
07-23-2011, 08:55 PM
$895 gets you into coldfish with a couple buddies by air. $895 back out. Fairly inexpensive week divided by 3 or 4. Coldfish usually is open to Oct 15. We take the plane out by the 15th of october. Is getting to be winter by then. Great cabins at coldfish run by BC parks.

Jagermeister
07-23-2011, 09:32 PM
I believe all the caribou spatsizi draws are good odds, mostly because they give out a lot of tags. Reason being is that only a small percentage will actually go and even a smaller percentage will harvest an animal. I have the August 15th to 31st draw at 1.3:1 odds...90 tags given out. Basically the government is giving out the large amount of tags to a hopefully achieve their harvest goals, probably a dozen animals or so.

The low success/participation is due to poor access, which most who apply don't even realize until they are drawn and begin researcching it (as shown on this forum time and time over). Fly-in or horesback is the best way, otherwise it is a lengthy hike off the Klappan Rail Grade (if not roadblocked...). October is potentially really cold and backpacking it could be tough, especially with snow. Benefit to you is you will be there when the animals are in large herds on the plateaus and if you find them you will have easy pickings. I am going in via horseback on August 15th and will be there for up to two and a half weeks. August isn't the best time for Caribou but with that amount of time in there I expect to find some animals. Also have a bull moose tag to use if we strike out on the caribou. The Collingwood's are the outfitter and they may be able to answer some of your questions, they have been helpful to us but we didn't tell them we would be hunting either :wink: . Good luck if you make it in!Not to mention the time of the year. Early winter weather besets on that area. I would also like to remind everyone once again about Tom Leonard and his fate. He too went into the area, never to be seen again. http://www.missinginspatsizi.com/
It is not some place that one can take lightly.

kitnayakwa77
07-24-2011, 07:05 AM
Like everyone else has said, weather could be hit or miss. I've seen it beautiful in that country around then (-8 nights, +8 days and sunny) or it could be the beginning of winter, blowing snow and very cold. My hunting partner and I both shot a caribou in that neck of the woods last year in mid-September and the bulls were just starting to fight. The meat was awesome with no gamey flavor but I think alot can change in a couple weeks with them running around and fighting.

ryanb
07-24-2011, 07:15 AM
Meat will almost certainly be terrible, weather will almost certainly be terrible. Good luck.

338 winmag
07-24-2011, 08:20 AM
This was the end of September in Spatsizi, have a good down filled bag and you'll be fine.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/SPATZ2000.jpg

kennyj
07-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Should be an awesome hunt. The last bull I shot in that area was in early Oct. The weather was cooler but not bad.
You should see lots of caribou.
kenny

robbieP
08-12-2011, 03:04 PM
how much weight are you looking at packing out of there once it is all deboned?

kennyj
08-12-2011, 03:26 PM
how much weight are you looking at packing out of there once it is all deboned?
2 heavy to very heavy packloads depending on how big the bull is. I'd guess 160-180 lbs de-boned. We've managed all our caribou in 2 loads but its hard work. I hope to pack one out myself this year.
Good luck.
kenny