PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scope - Nikon Prostaff, Bushnell Legend Ultra HD or other?

Grains
07-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Apologies for another "which one" type of thread, but just looking for opinions...

I've been doing a lot of researching lately on spotting scopes, including looking at all sorts of other threads on the forum. My budget is no more than $400 (I'd love some top-end glass, but alas, not now), and I've been seriously considering the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD in 15-45x60 or the Nikon Prostaff 16-48x65. Does anyone out have anything to say about them good or bad? Maybe there's something else better?

It will be general use for all species mostly around the Cariboo-Chilcotin, but I do plan to use it up the mountains for sheep and goats (I hope), so weight is a consideration. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade in a few years.

.330 Dakota
07-22-2011, 08:45 AM
I have the Nikon Prostaff in the larger 20-60 x80mm scope, and it is awesome, clearer than the Leupold Goldring. My only complaint is it is huge, hindsight being 20/20 I would buy the Prostaff in the 15-45 configuration.

spear
07-23-2011, 10:54 AM
look for the vortex skyline spotter on sale, got ours for right around 400.00, 20-60x80 ED glass, amazing spotter for the price

lineofsight
07-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Use both a straight and angled eye piece for while before you make a decision. Are models (including a Nikon) that has a removal eye piece so can change magnification too (if considering up grading / options in a couple of years). If budget tight dont forget to factor in good tripod as will effect how much you enjoy the scope.