PDA

View Full Version : Many folks finding Sharptails in the cut blocks

MillBay
07-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Just wondering if many guys are finding many sharptails in the large cut blocks 70 Mile House and north. I had a biologist tell me that they are doing well in the real large cut blocks over 160 acres or so.

mark
07-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Sharp tails have always been there, I remember seeing tons of them in the big blocks west of 100 mile over 20 years ago!

Glenny
07-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Williams Lake area...Loads of them.

gunnie2008
07-21-2011, 09:19 PM
South Prince George Area
in the big cut blocks.
Was lot's of Sharpy's in 2010.

CanuckShooter
07-21-2011, 10:22 PM
9 out of 10 birds seen in the southern 7a MUs are sharpies....no season for them, guess the ministry is waiting until they eat all the blueberries??????

Big Lew
07-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Some of the best sharpie hunting I've experienced was in the Mons Lake, Fletcher Lake and west area anywhere there was new growth after a fire. Unfortunately, some hunters would chase after the flocks until they got them all, not leaving enough for regeneration which resulted in the Game department closing the season on them, especially in the Farrell Canyon area north of Gang Ranch. They are very challenging to shoot on the fly as they explode from cover and zig and zag just above or through the bush cover.

CanuckShooter
07-21-2011, 11:16 PM
I've seen flocks that had to have had at least 500 birds....west of Lintz Lake...and no they were not blues.

FirePower
07-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Some of the best sharpie hunting I've experienced was in the Mons Lake, Fletcher Lake and west area anywhere there was new growth after a fire. Unfortunately, some hunters would chase after the flocks until they got them all, not leaving enough for regeneration which resulted in the Game department closing the season on them, especially in the Farrell Canyon area north of Gang Ranch. They are very challenging to shoot on the fly as they explode from cover and zig and zag just above or through the bush cover.

We used to get great sharp tail shooting around Beacher Prairie west of Williams Lake but I havent been there for a number of years.

MillBay
07-22-2011, 10:52 AM
"especially in the Farrell Canyon area north of Gang Ranch'

Yes i use to hunt them in the junction sheep range when they where open, then just before they closed it I stopped because I wasn't seeing enough of them so just hunted the blues. I do a lot of hunting on the other side of the river from farewell where they are open but again started seeing so few that I backed off there as well. I have always hunted blues/sharps togeather as there is some ground that finds both in the same area. I have always hunted for them in the grass lands and not the cut blocks thus my question. Thanks for the input all. And yes they are explosive as they seem to all get up at once, but the are tasty little dudes.

Foxton Gundogs
07-22-2011, 11:47 AM
I used to shoot a lot of sharpies over the spaniels west of the Puddle when I lived there and also out Exiter in 100 mile. Was great fun. My sister is still at the 108 so may make the pilgamige there this year have some young dogs that would benifit from it.

LYKTOHUNT
07-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Have seen lots in the area I hunt 5-2 east of Quesnel