PDA

View Full Version : Guns accross the border?

skinarama
07-21-2011, 07:23 PM
I am sure I am not the first to ask (although I did search pretty hard for previous posts) about buying a rifle in the states and bringing it back into Canada. I have my pal, I am over 18, and will be purchasing a new, non-restricted rifle from Cabela's in Idaho. Curious if anyone has done this recently? I am also curious about duty, and taxes at the border. Might not be worth the headache?

Ozone
07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
No you cannot

cloverphil
07-21-2011, 07:32 PM
it has been discussed many times here

the USA has export laws regarding firearms and the permit costs ($200 or more) and bureaucracy to go through is not worth while unless you absolutely cannot find it in Canada already

IMHO

phil

DMAN009
07-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Not worth the headache from all the research I have done. Put your own time into something more constructive. There are a million different hoops to hurdle and each one is worse than the next one. Believe me I have researched and researched.

Plus it isnt worth not being allowed back into the states if you mess up.

PS gun parts are just as hard to get across. I was successful with some parts for my sks and a scope off ebay. but remember if you buy something down there and have to drive back across the line....you need an export licence(which takes months)....if you do buy something from the states make sure they ship to canada and than ship it to your house. (Dont try and trick cabelas and send it to the letter lock in sumas)it fools them but pisses off the american customs

remember there are import laws(canada is pretty slack) and there are export laws(americans love their guns and want them in their own country)

Ozone
07-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Read this Sticky called Buying in the USA

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?31870-Buying-in-the-USA

shadow1982
07-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Get hold of gun brokers in USA, i know there is one in Seattle, they import guns into canada

I dont recall the name of the broker but if you contact a gun store goes by the name of DAVE something in lyden he might be able to help you out.

Before you start the process, just know it cost just about the same if not more, and you have wait longer to get your fire arm

gerrygoat
07-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Clay @ Prophet River can import for you, I would contact him to see how much it would cost you and the time frame involved before you make any purchase.

Weatherby Fan
07-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Buying guns out of the US is no big deal as long as your not in a hurry for it,most transactions take 6 weeks or longer, you really have to shop around but you can save some on certain rifles and some it's not much difference than buying in Canada.
Clay Smiley at Prophet River Guns is great to deal with. 1-780-872-2865
WF

Goliath
07-21-2011, 08:19 PM
remember there are import laws(canada is pretty slack) and there are export laws(americans love their guns and want them in their own country)

Exactly! America is open for business, but not when it comes to anything gun.

If you're just interested in saving $100 over buying in Canada, then it begs the question...what is your time worth?...$5 per hour?

MuleyMadness
07-21-2011, 09:17 PM
All the above is good advice. I don't even believe you, as a Canadian, can buy any firearms in the US (aside from the export issues)...you need to produce ID that says you belong, or be a FFL dealer, which I assume you are not....it's not like picking up a case of beer anymore, and the savings on a typical rifle really aren't worth the time to do it legit

bigben
07-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Not worth the headache , talking to my gunsmith he states that the only time its worth it if your buying high end guns then its worth the hassle but if your buying a 270 winchester or such just pay the extra here and it would be all worth it .........

jimh
07-21-2011, 10:25 PM
I found a limited edition Marlin 1895 SDT trapper model that I had to have and I knew would not be availeable in Canada. I figured if I'm going through the paperwork anyway I might as well get two. I bought them off a dealer on the Gunbroker site and had them shipped to Dave's Sporting Goods in Lynden . I filled out the paperwork for the canadian import permits and it actually arrive very quickly. Then had to wait for the american export permit to be approved. While waiting I had the firearms centre issue me a new FRT number and register the guns. After getting the export permit I went to Lynden and they brought the guns through the america customs to me at the Canadian customs side. From what I'm told Prophet River is cheaper and they do more of the paperwork for you, the sort of thing you always learn after you've done it. The whole process took months and the guns had to be exported by a licensed exporter. But then again I guess it depends on who's on duty that day at the border. When I went into the canadian border office and told them the dealer was bringing my guns through the american office the person asked why I didn't just bring them with me myself. The stop at the border actually went quite quickly since the guns were already registered to me and I had all my paperwork in order. Still the waiting that couple of months to have all the permits approved is kind of nerve racking considering you've already paid all the money for the guns. Jim

Singleshotneeded
07-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Ahhhh, the good old days...back in the 80s there was a sale on 870s at Kesselrings in Bellingham, got an 870 Express
with the 3" chamber for $180 I think it was...they sent it to the border and I picked it up the next day.

mountain scout
07-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Do yourself a favour and call the border you plan on crossing back into Canada and ask a CBP officer. I asked a couple years ago and they told me as long as you have your PAL and a special form you are ok. But things change. Call the border and ask.

papaken
07-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Was just at Kesselring's down in Alger Washington, picked up a pistol grip for my 870. That was one of the few things that was not on their list of Canadian Sale Restrictions. They gave me a full sheet of items they won't sell to anyone considered a "foreigner" by their government security agencies. Apparently you can get in mucho! doodoo! if you get caught without the proper paperwork. I have talked to a couple of other firearms stores down south and they say they just don't sell to Canadians as it is to much hassle.

antileno
07-21-2011, 11:15 PM
I looked in to this as well I found the gun i was looking for out of a shop in Ontario for cheaper than what it was selling for in the US. Much easier to buy from another province i just had to fax a copy of my PAL and it showed up in the mail a few weeks later. It was like someone else was saying the only way it would be worth it would be for some sort of rare collector piece you really want, for a hunting rifle check around you can find some great deals if you do your research.

tim3500
07-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Talk to Clay (Prophet River) its not as hard as everyone says he takes care of everything but you pay for this service and it needs to put into the gun purchace I know guys that have used him and it was worth it to them

1/2 slam
07-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Unlike what some people here are saying it is very easy to buy a gun in the states. I bought a 16 ga Rizzini from Cabelas. Used a company called Questar International to do the paperwork. I still saved a lot

The Hermit
07-21-2011, 11:59 PM
As others have said buy your rifle locally. Importing will almost certainly cost more in the long run.

Redfrog
07-22-2011, 07:13 AM
I don't know where the info that it can't be done or is way expensive or whatever comes from.

There is a process of paperwork involved to export from the U.S. into Canada. It takes some time as permits must be issued and mailed. Otherwise it is painless. There are places like Prophet river that will do it all for you for a fee of course.

I have a few rifles I bought from the U.S. It cost about $100 for a FFL dealer in the U.S> to ship to me with the permit from their state dept. No big deal.
Decide if it's worth it moneywise and contact Prophet River.

1/2 slam
07-22-2011, 07:54 AM
I don't know where the info that it can't be done or is way expensive or whatever comes from.

There is a process of paperwork involved to export from the U.S. into Canada. It takes some time as permits must be issued and mailed. Otherwise it is painless. There are places like Prophet river that will do it all for you for a fee of course.

I have a few rifles I bought from the U.S. It cost about $100 for a FFL dealer in the U.S> to ship to me with the permit from their state dept. No big deal.
Decide if it's worth it moneywise and contact Prophet River.

Redfrog is right. It's probably not worth it for an everyday gun. But for some of the higher end guns, like the Rizzini shotgun I bought, you will likely save a good amount.

Weatherby Fan
07-22-2011, 07:57 AM
There's no mystery to bringing guns across the border from the US,I have bought several in the last few years,beware if you do it yourself as some of the FFLs are pricey,had some charge as little as $75 and some wanting $400-500,again on an average new Rem model 700 for example you wont save anything but on some more expensive rifles you can save alot.
If you use someone like Clay Smiley the gun comes in the mail to your door registered,simple as that.

Iron Sighted
07-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Haven't had a gun imported, but I have bought from Clay Smiley(and will be doing so again in the very near future) and I can say that his customer service is second to none and that he is a very pleasant guy to deal with.

.330 Dakota
07-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Cabella's wont sell it to you,,,trust me I tried this before,, many years ago

1/2 slam
07-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Cabella's wont sell it to you,,,trust me I tried this before,, many years ago

Unless they've recently changed yes they will. I bought one 3 years ago. You can't walk out of the store with it. You have to make arrangements with an outfit to export it.

1/2 slam
07-22-2011, 11:39 AM
There's no mystery to bringing guns across the border from the US,I have bought several in the last few years,beware if you do it yourself as some of the FFLs are pricey,had some charge as little as $75 and some wanting $400-500,again on an average new Rem model 700 for example you wont save anything but on some more expensive rifles you can save alot.
If you use someone like Clay Smiley the gun comes in the mail to your door registered,simple as that.

That is what I found as well. I saved probably $400 in the end on my Rizzini.