PDA

View Full Version : Guns Stolen from Gunsmith!!!!

bighornbob
07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Just read this. Hope nobody here had their guns at his place gettingt fixed.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110721/bc_firearms_stolen_110721/20110721?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

BHB

forthunter
07-21-2011, 03:05 PM
He says no ammunition was taken and that, as per legal requirements, it was securely stored in a separate location of the home
thats wrong you can store ammo with your guns if there in a safe
and i also like how he calls them rifle/ long barrel variety of firearms kinda funny. Definitaly would suck to get your gun stolen when its getting fixed though.

benjib
07-21-2011, 06:28 PM
"thats wrong you can store ammo with your guns if there in a safe"
if it is also in something locked, then yes

Jelvis
07-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Gun must be locked up and ammo locked up in a separate container, it's a no brainer.

RayHill
07-21-2011, 07:42 PM
NO only for restricted guns out of a safe. In a locked case the ammo can't be inside with it only in a safe can the ammo be together with it. Non restricted you can have ammo right beside the gun as long as the gun is trig. locked or locked in a gun room or a safe. Ammo being separate means what? Not specified in anything i have read. Say a hand gun is trigger locked and locked in a case the ammo can be right beside the case because it is out side of the gun case and that means it is separate.

Jelvis
07-21-2011, 07:52 PM
I think your wrong Ray. Your hunting rifle has to be locked up and your ammo can't be laying around, it can be in the same safe, but in a separate box which is locked.
The idea is so if someone broke into steal your gun, the ammo is also locked in a separate box.
Jel .. I do it but hey it's up to you .. it ain't that hard to do .. honest lol.

akyne
07-21-2011, 07:53 PM
STORAGE OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS

5. (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if
(a) it is unloaded;
(b) it is
(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,
(ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or
(iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and
(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.
(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.
(3) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-209/page-2.html#h-3

akyne
07-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Better yet, everyone can print this little form out and know where you stand on the issue:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/PDF/storage-entreposage-eng.pdf

From what I read in this PDF, having your guns and ammo locked together in a safe is perfectly legal, you do not need ammunition locked up within a separate case inside the safe.

Jelvis
07-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Read C in your above post #7, ammo together or separately in a locked container it says.
Jp .. read it again .. the (C) part

BlacktailStalker
07-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Even that link is somewhat vague.
Your rifle doesn't require a trigger lock if the bolt is removed.
It doesn't specify one or the other, it emphasizes the locking device, not OR being rendered inoperable by bolt removal.

akyne
07-21-2011, 08:09 PM
I think we're saying the same thing Jelvis...

Jelvis
07-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Yah it's pretty close, it's up to some interpretation on the way it's written, but as long as they both are locked up from escapement we should be safe.
The front door of my house is locked too at all times even if we're home so that's the first lock, then behind another locked door, and then also a metal box for the ammo all locked up.
Locked up tighter than a bulls arse in fly season. :-D
JElvis ..

TurtleGod
07-21-2011, 08:20 PM
I don't know but the way I read Part (C) is

(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.

That to me means that you can have them in a safe together. My safe is securely locked. JMO

TG

RayHill
07-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Q: What is a gun without a bolt? A: a golf club

RayHill
07-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Gun must be locked up and ammo locked up in a separate container, it's a no brainer.

I would say my gun is locked in my safe and my ammo is locked inside my safe locked house

benjib
07-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Locked in something, if its in a safe or not.

springpin
07-22-2011, 08:52 PM
I love golfing!!!

The Silent Stalker
07-24-2011, 07:42 AM
You all have me so confused now I'm scared I'm breaking the law so I just threw all my guns out in the trash.

Jelvis
07-24-2011, 08:16 AM
As long as the trash has a lock on it your good to go lol.

cdub
07-24-2011, 08:21 AM
"Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be
stored in the same locked container as the firearms"

I read this as the ammo can be in your kitchen cupboard as long as it is a separate location from your firearm. It states to store separate or lock it up, not and lock it up.

Gateholio
07-24-2011, 09:38 AM
If you lock your rifle into a gun case, you can put ammo inside the gun case. If you disable the rifle with a trigger lock or removing the bolt then the ammo is supposed to be stored separateness. The ammo doesn't need to be locked up separately just stored separate.

emerson
07-24-2011, 03:03 PM
STORAGE OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS

5. (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if
(a) it is unloaded;
(b) it is
(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,
(ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or
(iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and
(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.
(3) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-209/page-2.html#h-3
Stored together with or separately from the firearm in a locked container ie.safe.

All those who don't understand this clearly are part of the problem for honest firearms owners. You are making up bs that is not law, and passing yourselves off as experts. Just like the CORE instructor in Victoria who told my BIL that he couldn't get a resident hunter's # without a PAL. Ignorance is dangerous and contagious.

akyne
07-24-2011, 03:14 PM
If you lock your rifle into a gun case, you can put ammo inside the gun case. If you disable the rifle with a trigger lock or removing the bolt then the ammo is supposed to be stored separateness. The ammo doesn't need to be locked up separately just stored separate.

Thanks Gatehouse, this was the point I was originally trying to make, in as many words. I may have come across as saying the opposite...