PDA

View Full Version : Hunting 4x south of Elko

B.S.A.30/06
07-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Heading out to hunt 4x south of elko for ant. elk. Anyone been up that way.
Thanks

IslandHunterBXL
07-21-2011, 04:06 PM
wear orange! been out there a few times and have never ran into so many other hunters. it was scary. bugled in more hunters than i did elk. very nice area to hunt thuough. lots of areas where the timber isnt too thick and you have a chance at spotting something. have fun and be safe

d6dan
07-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Ya, grew up in Elko. Whats the problem..Too many hunters?.

Mikey Rafiki
07-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Drive through there twice a day and have spent countless days on foot throughout the zone.

Find a spot that's as far away from any roads as possible. And just cow call to locate anything, or go with the baby bull squeaks or chuckles. You will bugle in a lot more hunters that you will elk.
My old man pulled a tasty cow out of there last year. There will always be a ton of elk in the flat land, but unless it's road closure the amount of people can be frustrating.

Redfrog
07-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Hunted there till about 10 years ago. Lots of game and we didn't find very many hunters. Unless it's gotten busy in the last ten years I'd go there again.

coquitlam
07-21-2011, 05:12 PM
I think that now that that area is now part of the bigger 4-03x there will be less pressure as more people will probably go more north. I two years ago got the leh and was set onto private land .The guys in the area that were succecful sat all day on ponds and hoochied.

bforce750
07-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Most of the hunters aren't by elko anyway, people complain about too many hunters but they are the same people that flock to each other....just like the beakers on the Fraser River...lol.. what ever you do just don't hunt the shitfields

rocksteady
07-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Hunted there till about 10 years ago. Lots of game and we didn't find very many hunters. Unless it's gotten busy in the last ten years I'd go there again.

It has got insane with hunters because of the first antlerless Jr./Sr. season, then after a couple years where they now have the Sr./Jr. (10 days) followed by ANYONE antlerless for another 10 days.....

In addition its GOS on bulls, so there is so much competition for elk that I have found the elk go NOCTURNAL on about day 3 and stay that way til after the antlerless season is over....

Those who think that they can drive out in teh dark to the biggest meadow, wait for daylight and see dozens of elk grazing and picking the one they want are sorely mistaken....

Because of the pressure you have to go where no one else is, further back, into the thick stuff that you would not even expect to find an elk in......

I found elk last year in DOuglas fir thickets that were so thick you could harldy walk, nothing but dirt and needles on the ground.......but that is where they were spending their daylight hours.....

Good luck, but don't expect it to be a slam dunk easy hunt.....

300H&H
07-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Wow...some good helpful info for Dad & I on our 4-03 LEH elk.
Thanks

hunter1947
07-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Rocksteady hit the nail dead center with his post http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png ....
I waked months in these areas shed hunting this spring and there where lots of spike cow elk as for the odd adult bull but like Rocksteady said as soon as the shooting starts they the elk go into no mans land and aren't seen much till the end of the el;k season has closed.

If you want to find them you have to go after them into where they hid sure you might get lucky and find an elk driving around headed to there bedding area first light last light.

If me I would head into a road that is open for excess year around for motorized vehicles but the surrounding roads off this main accessible road is closed year around for the use of motorized vehicles head in onto any of these roads on foot and you will up your odds big time on getting an elk for the dinner table.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.png.