PDA

View Full Version : Granby Watershed Mulies

~T-BONE~
08-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Just wondering what your opinion is off muledeer numbers in the area.
Is it just me? Or are they getting chased out? What have you seen?

Jelvis
08-28-2006, 08:02 PM
What MU is that T-Bone

~T-BONE~
08-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Of all the folks here I would expect that you would know that its 8-15.:o

sealevel
08-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I hunt some in the galloping hills where the granby starts. There`s getting less mulies and more whitetails all the time . Even up barnes creek in 4-32 last time we went there whites where up in the alpine at 16teen hundred meters never saw a mulie that trip.

Monashee
08-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Up the North Fork back in the 1970's you used to see herds of muleys come late November. Maybe 20-30 in a herd before the snow got deep. There still are some muleys around but not like it used to be. Just too many got shot.

palmer
08-29-2006, 09:23 AM
The deer are coming back well in 8-15...If you know where to go the granby still has some great bucks...you just have to work hard.
The cuts that used to produce have grown in so you have to explore and find new areas.

Palmer

GoatGuy
08-29-2006, 04:33 PM
I've heard that numbers are down from a few folks

Last year we saw plenty of mulies and a couple of whitetails right up in the alpine. Didn't seem to be a shortage of game, but don't have much to compare it to- didn't hunt there 20 years ago.

dana
08-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Over 20 years ago we consistantly saw muleys and whiteys in the alpine in that country. I know some guys that still shoot cranker muleys in there.

~T-BONE~
08-29-2006, 05:35 PM
What are some of the better areas in that country for producing some descent mulie bucks?

dana
08-29-2006, 07:35 PM
20 years ago the Lightning Peaks area was good. Haven't been up there since I was 16. Last trip up was with my bro and all we brought was homemade jerky that was really salty. Man we drank a lot of water that trip. :)

Stone Sheep Steve
08-29-2006, 07:52 PM
20 years ago the Lightning Peaks area was good. Haven't been up there since I was 16. Last trip up was with my bro and all we brought was homemade jerky that was really salty. Man we drank a lot of water that trip. :)
Apparently that area is "dryer than a popcorn fart" and the deer just aren't there this year. Most likely slightly lower in the wetter timber areas. We could have used some rain during late July/early Aug.

SSS

dana
08-29-2006, 08:17 PM
I would bet that many would just be hanging at treeline. Alpine veg can burn out easily in the heat of a hot summer but that same veg is protected under the canopy of the high elevation timber.

palmer
08-30-2006, 02:08 PM
What are some of the better areas in that country for producing some descent mulie bucks?

When are you planning on going and I will pass along a few spots..

Palmer

Jelvis
08-31-2006, 04:35 PM
I've never hunted that particular area but if I did I would try Howe Creek and up to Bluejoint mtn. Looks good on the maps. One other area I really would want to try is the east side of Christina Lake. Yes I said Christina. One of my buddies is Italian so why not try the old Santa Rosa Summit road out of Christina Lake Village. Lastly but not least why does hwy 3 and Paulson Creek keep coming up at the local game club? Those beautiful bountiful hills around Christina Lake. Are they as good as the club says? Anyone? Bitter Creek any good? Might get some T bone steaks out of these areas or are they all shot out? (sarcastc smile) The Texas Creek Boys

palmer
08-31-2006, 05:07 PM
NO deer in Christina this year all driven out by the Elk...