PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunt Fort Nelson

mountain scout
07-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Thinking of taking the boat up to Fort Nelson and hunting the fort nelson river and the liard river. i.e. east and west of nelson forks.

Is there boat launch on the liard hwy and ft nelson river? I think its hwy 77
Anyone been up in that area before?
Any moose/elk? Decent numbers of game.
Any info is appreciated

Rock Doctor
07-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Boat launch is just across the Bailey Bridge at about 40KM on the Highway. Cross the bridge, up the hill, Turn left at the gravel road with 2 entrances, drive back down the hill, stay left. You can actually see the launch when you cross the bridge, it's about a half Kay downstream.
Yes, been there a thousand times. The "Spectra" Gas Facility you drive past, when coming back down the hill is one of the places I work at.
Lots of Moose. Elk are there, but a little harder to find.

Watch out for "mudbars". The only indication sometimes is a blade of grass sticking out of the water.
Bring your fishing rod, and some BIG hooks. Nice Walleye, Pike, Goldeye, Inkanu, Burbot, Bull Trout, ect in the river.
You can't have too much fuel with you

RD

mountain scout
07-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!!! Couple more questions. I have a 20 jon with a 40 jet drive outboard. I think that is fine for the nelson but is it too small for the liard that time of year. Never been on the liard and it looks like a bit more flow then the nelson.