PDA

View Full Version : Trad bows and Blazer vanes?

Sideofabarn
07-20-2011, 07:39 PM
I have a trad bow that I want to get out and start flinging sticks with. The issue I foresee is that the only arrows I have are equipped with blazer vanes, which seem a little stiffer than longer vanes, and presumably less "give" than feathers. Is it a fool's endeavour to think I should see any sort of consistency shooting these arrows off the shelf of a trad bow?

Grantmac
07-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Yes, vanes off the shelf will 100% not work. Especially high-profile vanes like blazers, they probably wouldn't even work well with a rest.

Moreover the arrows you shoot from your compound will most likely be way too stiff spinewise.

-Grant

Bowzone_Mikey
07-21-2011, 09:24 AM
yes ... off the shelf they will look like an area weapon ..... you might be able to get some consistancy using a rest .....

Bow Walker
07-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Bite the bullet and go get a half-dozen arrows that are fletched with feathers - and properly spined for your bow. Get Gold Tip arrows, they are pretty "inexpensive".

You won't be sorry you did.

Sideofabarn
07-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Ok. I used to have some Gold tip carbons that were fletched with feathers. I picked them up at 3 Rivers Archery when I was there a few years ago. Anyone know if they're available locally? (BC, AB if I have to) I am assuming Ted may be able to get an order in, or does he only buy in bulk?

Bow Walker
07-22-2011, 10:15 AM
PM (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?2134-Bowzone_Mikey)Bowzone Mikey (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?2134-Bowzone_Mikey)

He knows the PG archery scene........

Flingin' Sticks
07-22-2011, 11:14 AM
What poundage bow are you shooting Toby? I may be able to help you out

greybark
07-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Hey Sideofabarn , You can however it depends on how much your bow`s shelf is center shot . If you are lucky and it is centercut you can install an adjustable or built out arrow rest and shoot lighter spined arrows . On second thought just revane with feathers . But it can be done!!!
Cheers

Sideofabarn
07-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Anthony- I'm shooting 57 pounds at 28 inches, and thank you!

Greybark- If I understand you correctly, no, the shelf is not cut to halfway. my best guess is about a third.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Ok. I used to have some Gold tip carbons that were fletched with feathers. I picked them up at 3 Rivers Archery when I was there a few years ago. Anyone know if they're available locally? (BC, AB if I have to) I am assuming Ted may be able to get an order in, or does he only buy in bulk?

Toby ... Ted can get get you anything you want in ones and twos if you want it that way .... Monday (because he is in Vanderhoof for the 3D this weekend) scurry out there ... bring yer bow ... tell him that I said that "you need arras" ...LOL ....j/k seriously ... He will hook ya up

Barry O'Regan
09-26-2011, 03:45 PM
As a Bohning Pro Staffer,Blazers may not be your best choice, either go Bohning 4" inch Killer Vanes or 4" to 5" feathers.
Just know feathers when wet if you are out in the bush and it rains may not perform at their optimum efficiency, especially with a broadhead attached. If you are unsure of the weather conditions, I would go with Bohning's 4" Killer vanes.