PDA

View Full Version : Finally got some fishing time in

Sitkaspruce
07-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Been so busy with other things and family health problems that I have only found the time twice to chase fish on the salt this year. This trip was the third...

Been pretty spotty around McNeill this year that we decided to go somewhere else.

The trip started out bad, with problems with fish line, something on the road and somewhere there is 400 yards of mono and 150 yards of backing:shock:...but that is another story. Then, for the first time, the boat would not start, but that was fixed fast (perko switch), then I realized that I had left my boots at home and just had my croc's for foot wear. And all this before we even left the dock.....

Got to our spot and was soon into a teener, that we let go, a few minutes later, a good fish hit and ran, the turned 180 and went straight to the beach and into the kelp....chaulk up a spring, teaser head and flasher to a sea lion (hope you choke on it you basturd). My fishing partner was wanting to just drive the boat and let me have some fun, but after Murphy came along and helped me release 3 more springs, I decided it was my turn to drive. Yup you guessed it, right away my fish partner bags a 7 lbs coho, then a 32 lbs spring, then has another good hit. Meanwhile I catch a release a nice sockeye, then my turns comes and I finally bag a 33 lbs spring.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Fishing/P7160023.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Fishing/P7160026.jpg

Now onto the bottom fishing, which Murphy did not want to tag along on. We bagged a couple ling, a nice snapper and couple fish and chip cod.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Fishing/P7160027.jpg

We ended up with two springs 32 and 33, released another and lost 4 others, one coho, two ling, 36 and 20 lbs, a 10 lbs snapper and the cod. All in all from a bad start it turned out to be a good day.....until we got back to the dock, where it was raining so heavy that it was hard to concentrate and it reminded me that I was wearing croc's...........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Fishing/P7160030.jpg

Cheers

SS

Johnnybear
07-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Sounds like a great day on the water Ken:mrgreen:. Very jealous as I haven't been out yet this year!

Some nice fish there. Were you fishing out of Port Alice?

crazybushcreature
07-20-2011, 02:45 PM
sounds like a great day out on the water. nice pics. great lookin fish. good job. thanx for sharing

07-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Theres some tubs there! Nice mix

Sitkaspruce
07-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Sounds like a great day on the water Ken:mrgreen:. Very jealous as I haven't been out yet this year!

Some nice fish there. Were you fishing out of Port Alice?

Hey JB

Nope, just went up the island a little, little place called Port Hardy.......really weird this year, good fishing in Hardy, spotty here and good CR south....not sure if all this rain has the fish just moving through or what.

Been following your posts, getting close to putting the old girl our where she belongs, on the banks of the westcoast........

Good luck and make sure you post up some picts, your kid must be getting antsy.....

Cheers

SS

Salty
07-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Nice fish'n and post SS glad to hear you're getting out. I'm like JB still bogged down with my project - weekends have been blown lately with visitors and work crap interfering with my time. . Sounds like I'm not missing much on this side yet anyways. I'll keep an eye out for 400yds of line in the ditch :mrgreen:

doubled
07-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Awesome SS, beauty fish. Those bottom dwellers will taste awesome!!!!

Red_Mist
07-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Sweet haul for a day fishing, you island boys are spoiled! Well done.

3006pg
07-20-2011, 05:30 PM
damn those are some nice fish man. not too much ocean fishing around pg hahaha been doing alot of trouting this year tho have had some wicked luck so far

tomahawk
07-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Nice catch!!!!!!!

5 spike
07-22-2011, 05:08 AM
awesome catch. thats worth getting wet feet for.

Brambles
07-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Im jelous, been probably 25 years since the last time I fished the ocean, looks like a great time