PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Recommendation

the stump
07-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi all

We are heading out from Nanaimo this wkd to go fishing on the West Coast (probably from Bamfield but could go to Nootka or Renfrew). Has anyone heard any fishing reports or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Philcott
07-20-2011, 10:03 AM
There's fish everywhere on the west coast. Renfrew has been good of late.

bushpig slayer
07-20-2011, 10:16 AM
renfrew! my buddy is there all the time he does real well.

ydouask
07-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Wait a minute and do a little more research on your destination..... there's much more to a trip than fish in the tub. Steer clear of Renfrew ! the dusty roads are brutal, the management is grumpy and miserable. The moorage is subject to very rough water, the seals steal your catch right off the wharf. The guides are close mouthed and misleading with " red herring" advice on what to use , where to go and when.... theyll always suggest you get up extra early to catch the lowest tide possible in the river. The scales read bout five pounds light and there's a tin boat tied near the scales where a big guy is always passing gas... Ba something... disgusting ! Save yourself a lot of pain and steer clear of that place.

Johnnybear
07-20-2011, 09:14 PM
A good trip to the WCVI is Ucluelet. Lot's of stuff to do and see, great fishing both inside around the Islands and out on the banks, can drive there on pavement the whole way, Long Beach and Tofino are a short drive from there, and if you find the right restaurants the food is awesome as well:-D.

The fishing is incredible this year. Get out there and enjoy it:mrgreen:!

the stump
07-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Sweet thanks for all of the info. Think we may try our hand out off of Bamfield.

tomahawk
07-21-2011, 03:59 PM
I'll be there from Sat to Mon, good luck!!

07-21-2011, 04:07 PM
A good trip to the WCVI is Ucluelet. Lot's of stuff to do and see, great fishing both inside around the Islands and out on the banks, can drive there on pavement the whole way, Long Beach and Tofino are a short drive from there, and if you find the right restaurants the food is awesome as well:-D.

The fishing is incredible this year. Get out there and enjoy it:mrgreen:!

I fully aggree here. I was guide in Ukee and the fishing has been great this year from what my friends say. Bamfield is a great place as well but the getting there is a bit tough dut to gravel road spittin rocks at yer boat. If you do go there you might think to launch in Port Alberni and run the boat up to Bamfield.
more gas less hardship to the boat. Ukee is a sinch, launch at Island West and moore there or in the boat basin.

mijinkal
07-21-2011, 04:33 PM
I just got back from Ukee and they're slaying them out there! My sister's boyfriend got his limit in an hour last weekend with a 33lb to boot!
To me it's a no-brainer. Ukee all the way! There's also lots to do there when you're not fishing as mentioned above.
If you head out that direction PM me and I'll send you the names of some great restaurants to try out and might be able to get you a deal on accommodation at the Black Rock if you're interested.