PDA

View Full Version : Hope this is the year!

bchunter181
07-20-2011, 01:06 AM
so i am now living in what i consider awesome hunting grounds.I am living in the caribou in 100 mile and i am hoping that this is the year i get my first big game animal aka a nice mule deer buck.i am not sure what i need to do to get one i have but the time in and have nothing to show.Dont have much for an older hunting partner that has passed down any hunting expience but i am learning every year and now just need to find a nice hunting area around here but with all the bucks i see everyday when i am driving around.looks like it will be a awesome season.best of luck to everyone.

.257mag
07-20-2011, 04:02 PM
should improve your chances tenfold living in 100 mile im out at bridge lake same thing lots of deer

07-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Good luck, You'll get something this year if you go out. Just hike the cutblocks early morning and sit in a blind for the evenings.

doubled
07-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Ask a buddy to accompany you so when you do get one this year, he can help you out with field dressing, etc. In my opinion, this is more important than getting the animal.

Caribou_lou
07-20-2011, 09:20 PM
How about you get out and do some pre season scouting now? You won't be waisting time finding them opening day if you know where they already are!

Weatherby Fan
07-20-2011, 09:29 PM
no worries kid we'll come up and give ya a lesson,you couldn't ask to be in a better place for hunting,I'm already jealous !
get out and do some scouting ! you'll see this season will be fine for ya
WF

srupp
07-20-2011, 09:50 PM
hmmm the cutblocks along Hwy 24 east of Sheridan..OR West of 100 mile house @ LAC la Hache..west to HELENA lake area,,GREAT deer and moose area..

cheers

Steven

bchunter181
07-20-2011, 10:49 PM
thanks everyone for the help and boost of confidence i am going to go out scouting this is my first year scouting may be dumb questin but should i just find areas and drive and walk them to find where they are and keep track and then go back there during hunting season.

Caribou_lou
07-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Go for a hike, Walk a ridge line. Look for last years rubs, fresh tracks, water holes, high meadows. If I go into a new area, I usually go home and check it out on google maps. Sometimes it's hard to see everything that is there on foot. Take a camera also, you never know what you'll find!

.257mag
07-21-2011, 06:36 PM
one of my early season favorites is above canim lake shot some big deer there in the last few years during opening week keep me posted if you need a point in the right direction

RayHill
07-21-2011, 07:23 PM
I remember my first deer. I was feeling real bumbed out walking down a old logging road with my head down hunting every weekend of the season with not even a sighting. When I looked up and there he was, and he was magnificent!!!!!

Now I know more and the deer are easier to find. You just have to learn where to look.

Ray

pappy
07-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Yep, your on the right track soak up all of this advice and don't forget it. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen right away after doing all your scouting, cause once you catch on to how and when they move around your not far from bagging a buck. It took me a long time to figure out the deer on the island when I was starting to hunt more seriously. Now I have moved and I'm exploring a new to me area as well. Watch youtube for tips on cleaning your deer.