PDA

View Full Version : Sept 1 Jr. Season

BigfishCanada
08-28-2006, 01:31 PM
I know every year this gets asked, I am taking my 16yr old nephew hunting this friday. I know where a nice 3 point is bedding down but my question is: Can i carry a firearm even if I have no intention to shoot (Protection from them cats and that grizz)

sealevel
08-28-2006, 02:04 PM
I BC you don`t need to hunt to carry a rifle but you try to tell a CO that your not hunting packing a rifle in youth only season. i wouldn`t be packing.

Schmaus
08-28-2006, 02:19 PM
I carry my firearm every time I go into the bush I have never been hassled. I've been stopped twice in the last couple of years with a cancelled deer tag and my rifle, when the CO asked me what I was hunting for I just told him wolves end of story. They're not out there to give you tickets and I don't think that they can use a lot of SPECULATION in giving out tickets. If you are legit than don't worry about it.

BigfishCanada
08-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Looking at the regs, it states stocking animals with a firearm is hunting. I cannot hunt until Sept 10? I guess I could carry a 12 gauge and say im rabbit hunting?

moose55
08-28-2006, 07:53 PM
whats wrong with useing a cross bow or bow from sept 1 to 9th when hunting youth season or bow only season. doesnt it give the adult a chance as well.

Husky7mm
08-28-2006, 09:12 PM
LOTS of people ABUSE this special season. They should make the rules very clear so people dont skew around!

BigfishCanada
08-28-2006, 09:21 PM
I dont plan on shooting anything, its just for protection

3kills
08-28-2006, 10:06 PM
what region areu hunting in? isnt bears open in some regions....

LeverActionJunkie
08-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Blackies are open Sept1st in Region 3

3kills
08-28-2006, 10:14 PM
so there u go if u are in region 3 ur hunting bears...thats what i m doing when i take my lil cousin out....

willyqbc
08-29-2006, 12:26 AM
unless the CO sees you commit an offense such as shooting a deer in the youth only season...there is really nothing he can do. Packing your rifle while your son hunts is perfectly legal, just the same as packing the rifle for protection during the summer when nothing is open. They may speculate and give you grief but I believe they can do nothing based on that speculation. Just because you are equipped to hunt doesn't mean you are hunting. I'm equipped to speed everytime I get behind the wheel but they can't give me a ticket until I actually go over the limit....same principle applies here.

Just my opinion
Chris

sealevel
08-29-2006, 04:26 AM
if you and your son are stalking a deer and you have a rifle you are hunting deer out of season . the regs. say no hunting without tags or out of season.---- so is this teaching your son to bend the law to suit the perpose.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-29-2006, 06:36 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to pack a rifle. There's always something open to hunt with a rifle. Blackies are open in Reg 8 as well. If I went on a backpack hunt for Stones just to help out a friend in Reg 7 (where I can't hunt them for 3 years) you're bloody right I'll be packing a rifle. It would be stupid not to.
If you're worried about what a CO might think, don't want to pack a rifle. Take a shotgun with slugs as it would send a clearer message of your intentions. Not packing something would be just plain "dumb".
Just my opinion.

SSS

rockrabbitt
08-29-2006, 08:06 AM
I would be packing a rifle as i always do when i go into the bush, is it any different then when say you have already filled your moose tag and your buddy shoots one the next day and you go to help him and pack your rifle along in case there is a problem with a bear.

PGKris
08-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Take the 12 gauge. Then even if you get the meanest CO that missed his Timmy's you'll have no issue.