PDA

View Full Version : highway conditions leaving pg

buford19
07-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Dose anyone know how long the delays are from PG to Ft St Johns. With all the floods and washed away roads, maybe better to take another route?

Jagermeister
07-19-2011, 10:42 PM
This link will direct you to a website that will give you the most uptodate information on highway conditions.
http://drivebc.ca/

leadpillproductions
07-19-2011, 10:43 PM
U are only waiting about 1/2 hr if u miss the pilot car no big deal

Krico
07-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Regardless of wait times/delays for the construction zones, guaranteed it will be faster than the long way around through Grande Cache!

nwalter
07-20-2011, 06:36 AM
40 minute delays last run through there for me. There was some construction also happening on Hwy 40 due to is almost flooding so if you are leaving from PG your best bet is to just stick it out on one of the delays or get driving through there before 7am

jml11
07-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Given the existing construction in the pass on top of the new construction due to the washouts, you could be in for delays up to 2 hours if you miss the pilot cars both times. Your waits could be 20 minutes to 45 minutes plus the slow going behind the pilot cars could add a bunch of time...but the alternative route (jasper-hinton-grande cache-grand prairie-dawson creek) is at least 5 hours longer (from PG)...best just to expect an extra hour or two on your trip. hopefully the delays get less by the time the moose hunters start heading north!

As the previous poster suggested...travelling during non-work hours i.e. early morning will speed things up but I think there is 24 hours piloting through the washout sites.

gbear
07-22-2011, 07:01 AM
I went to PG and back this week from Dawson. Usually about a 4 hour trip. Going down was a little less then 6 hours, coming back was a little less then 5 hours. The washout part, you get piloted 24 hours a day for now, but the construction work is only happening 7am to 7pm. Coming back I was later then the 7pm, so that was my time savings.

Jetboat
07-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Regardless of wait times/delays for the construction zones, guaranteed it will be faster than the long way around through Grande Cache!
Been driving Fort St John to Kamloops return a couple times a year for the past twenty five years. Takes me about the same time whether I go via Prince George/Cache Creek or through Grande Praire/Hinton. Just went down via PG/Cache Creek two weeks ago and returned through Jasper/Grande Praire. Bull elk are looking great in the park :)

barry1974w
07-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Came up this morning, I guess I hit everything right. It only took me three and a half hours from Prince George to Chetwynd. Slow going in some spots though.