PDA

View Full Version : newbee bowhunter looking for some help

pse&remington
07-19-2011, 03:43 PM
I am new to the bow hunting world. I bought my bow last year and have shoot a fair amount at the range and am quite comfortable shooting pie plates at 40m.

I am currently planning an elk trip to cranbrook for the 3rd of Sept. I was thinking that they will be up high, in around the tree line and bedding down on the north facing cooler thick forrest.

We plan on heading up the Bull River just outta Cranbrook and was just wondering we have never been to the area and were looking for some confirmation that we are on the right track. Also hoping to do some Whitetail hunting and were looking for anyone with suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Im not asking for your secret zones just a point in the right direction would be a great help.

Bow Walker
07-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Get in touch with Hunter1947 on here. He's the type of guy who'll go out of his way to help people who are sincere.

He lives up in Cranbrook and spends the majority of his spare time out in the bush scouting.

PM him and he'll get back to you as soon as possible. Tell Wayne that Bow Walker sent you.

The Hermit
07-20-2011, 12:24 PM
The Bull River area holds lots of elk for sure and you're correct about their bedding habits. they are nearly nocturnal so plan to be in the trees at first light. Try to keep your shots to under 30 yards... hitting a pie plate at the range is a whole hellofa lot different than a nice flat range!

Bow Walker
07-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Start practicing your shooting under "hunting conditions"......by that I mean get your heart rate right up there to where you're huffing and puffing - then try to hit your pie plate at 40 meters. It ain't easy.

Those types of shots are what you can expect up in the Bull valley. I was up there a few years ago (using a gun) and our group were up at 3a.m. for a quick coffee and then we were on our way. We were hiking and trekking into our chosen spot in the dark - just to be there so we could set up and get quiet for the break of day and shooting light.

We were generally back in camp by about 3 or 4 in the afternoon - ate our faces off and then went out for our afternoon scout. Then it was back to camp and into bed by dark. We did that for 4 or 5 days straight. Everyone lost about 10 pounds in body weight, even though we were eating like kings - once a day anyway.

That country is steep. It's hard to get up high enough before daybreak, but keep at it and you just might be eating elk tenderloin in camp one day.

pse&remington
07-20-2011, 05:43 PM
sounds awesome, thanks bow walker really appreciate it. Thanks you guys i will start shooting in variety of different conditions and angles

Bow Walker
07-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Good luck on your trip - and this season.

Don't forget to take along a camera and also to let us know how you make out.

The Silent Stalker
07-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. PSE&Rem is my hunting buddy and I will be going on the hunt with him and we will use this info to the best of our abilities. We will for be filming and shooting stills this season so hopefully we have some good stories and pics to show off.

pse&remington
07-24-2011, 10:00 PM
well theSS summed it up, thanks alot this will surely help, and hope it will help others who read because it may seem like common knowledge to the experienced bow hunter but no so much to the rest of us.

Bow Walker
07-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Hopefully any new shooters post up questions that puzzle them.

There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Backcountry archer
07-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Hopefully any new shooters post up questions that puzzle them.

There is no such thing as a stupid question.
Excellent people to have on this site! Good to have folks willing to give good solid advise to a fellow hunter.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png