PDA

View Full Version : Attention Hunters: Collared Mule Deer 3-32, 5-03 and 5-04

GoatGuy
07-19-2011, 12:09 PM
NOTICE TO HUNTERS

The Fish, Wildlife & HabitatManagement Branch, Thompson-Okanagan Region, is currently working on a collaborativeproject with the Lillooet Tribal Council & St’at’imc Nation to assessmigration ecology and habitat use of mule deer bucks in Management Unit 3-32and parts of 5-03 and 5-04, west of the Fraser River in the south-central partof the province. Twenty-one (21) muledeer bucks have been GPS collared on spring ranges along the Fraser River, betweenLillooet and Empire Valley, and in the Carpenter Lake area during the spring of2011. Based on previous information fromcollared deer in these areas, collared bucks may be found throughout thesemanagement units during the fall deer season. Tofacilitate the collection of information, and to maximize the informationgained from these bucks, we request that hunters avoid harvesting radio-collaredmule deer bucks. Hunters should also be aware that manybucks were chemically immobilized during capture operations. Health Canadaadvises that ungulates should not be consumed for a 1 year period followingimmbolization.

If a collared buck is harvested, werequest that the collar be returned to the Ministry Regional office in Kamloopsat the following address:

Attention: Chris Procter

Ministry of Forests, Lands& Natural Resource Operations

1259 Dalhousie Drive

Kamloops, BC V2C 5Z5

(250)371-6250

These particular GPS radio-collarsstore locations on board in accordance with the schedule programmed prior to collardeployment. As such, it is paramount toretrieve these collars so that data can be downloaded and utilized. Information from this project will be used to informharvest management strategies for mule deer and the development and design ofsurveys used to assess the relative abundance of bucks in the deer population. Information gained from this study will haveapplicability to deer populations throughout the southern interior.

If hunters havequestions or would like more information, please contact Wildlife Biologist ChrisProcter at (250) 371-6250.

Your assistance andsupport with this project is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Salty
07-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Good stuff i wish there was funding to do a lot more of this type of thing

The Silent Stalker
08-22-2011, 07:33 PM
I wish I could this stuff for a living, sounds like a fun time.

juiceterboost
08-29-2011, 10:50 PM
I talked to the CO who did this and he said he had a blast. Just makes me want to be a CO even more

pg83
08-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see how far some of these guys are moving.

BcBob
10-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Attention Hunters: Collared Moose 3-20 as of last week. (Same as the deer) As far as I know there are two Bulls Collared.

CanuckShooter
11-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Funny how they only collar the bucks.....must be their only area of interest???

howler
11-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Does where collared the previous year out in Lillooet, guess they are trying to replicate with buck movements. Would be an interesting comparison.
Sounds like fun though

Fiddler
12-28-2011, 10:16 AM
There is definatly no need to collar any more does in that area. I have seen groups of over 100 does in one little area all up that west side of the fraser. I know alot of the ranchers up that area and they dont see many big bucks. besides the ones that live in the alfalfa fields and cant be touched

mikemcd
09-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Does anyone know when or where the collected data will be made public? Would be nice to know.

Davey Crockett
09-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Funny how they only collar the bucks.....must be their only area of interest???

Chris Proctor has already done a similar study on does. I do think that the study will be public but if not, you could make a f.o.i. request.