PDA

View Full Version : May Day Grizzly

Ambush
07-18-2011, 11:41 PM
It's in between seasons and not much for hunting stories, so I'll post my spring grizzly tale.

This is the second time in fourteen years of applying for a 7-05 spring tag that I've gotten it. The last one was four years ago and after hunting hard for many days with archery gear, I finaly gave up and shot one with a rifle, in a thick snow storm, on the afternoon of June 15th.

This year was shaping up to be tough as far as access goes and my prefered area was snow in, so I looked where I could. Early in May I spotted a large boar that after a brief chase just out distanced me and dissappeared into the dark, rainy scrub of an older slash. The closest I got was fourty four yards. The wind was steady and he didn't hear me, so I was sure I didn't blow him out of the area. He was a bear worth looking for.

A week later, I was talking to some fellow HBC'ers and they told me about a bear they had spotted while black bear hunting. The very next day I found the grizzly in the same place. I got within bow range, but, although it was a good sized bear, it looked like a sow to me and had some serious rubs on the hind. That and visions of the big boar, made me pass.

I made several trips to relocate the boar, but with no tracks or sightings, I had to admit that he was likely just passing through and was long gone.

Still my valley was blocked by snow. It was great for the Alberta sledders still off loading there, but it didn't look good for me.
Then another hot tip from one of the same black bear hunters. He had seen a small but very pretty bear in my area.

Two nights later I was coming home from checking areas for the weekend hunt and there he was! I bailed out and glued my binoculars to him. A very pretty bear indeed! I watched him for a while and was just about to trade the glasses for the video camera when the bear made a fatal mistake. He pee'd in front of his legs. Boar, for sure! That changed things and with my hunting time running out I made the decison to try a stalk. I grabbed my bow took off.

Sometimes, nothing goes right, but then sometimes everything just couldn't be better. The wind was steady, the cover just right and the ground wet enough to be quiet without squishing. I moved along the treeline. A little finger of tall brush stood between us and close to the bear. When I got to the brush there was a little dip in the terrain and I was able to slip into it and get ready. The bear was feeding at twenty two yards. I drew and waited. He turned toward me a bit but then turned his head to the other side to grab some green goodies. This opened up his ribs nicely and I let the arrow go. THUMP!!

I saw the fletch dissappear right where it should and quickly put another one on the string. I've shot a lot of bears with arrows and they almost always just grunt and hightail it for the thick stuff. This grizzly just kept spinning in circles, one way and then the other. Starting to doubt the shot I aimed at the twirling fur and let go. Once again, luck strikes. The broadhead spined him just behind the shoulder and I saw his hind end drop just as he dissapeared into a thick clump of trees.
I ran around to the other side just in time to see him pulling himself with both front legs stroking. I knew I could out run him so I moved into about fifteen yards to try and get another arrow through the brush, into his lungs. That one hit him just in front of the shoulders.
Then, suddenly, after such display of his will to live, he just stopped moving. He was dead.

After skinning, it was evident that the first arrow would have killed him in short order. Double lung, pass through. The whole thing likely only took ninety seconds and didn't cover much more than seventy yards. But what a lot of excitement in a short time.
It's a small boar, but the thickest, longest fur I think I've ever seen on a bear. Even the armpits are full. This is only my third grizzly so I'm very happy with it.
Can't wait for the next spring grizz tag!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/0162.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/00813.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/00221.JPG

Krico
07-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Ambush you sure get er done with that bow! Congrats on a successful hunt, the hide on that thing looks great! Good write up too!

gunnie2008
07-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Nice looking Grizz. pics.
Nice job.
Ambush

Buck
07-19-2011, 12:45 AM
One of the greatest achievements in hunting is killing a Grizz with a bow.Takes guts and savvy congratulations my hats of to you.

hunter1947
07-19-2011, 02:44 AM
Fantastic bear to get with a bow and it being a Grizzly your wright up tells all very good post as for the picture ,congrats to you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png..

Brambles
07-19-2011, 03:22 AM
You see........THATS how you do a writeup.

Awesome story, thanks for taking the time to regale us with your tale. Your an inspiration

Ponderosa
07-19-2011, 06:14 AM
great story, congrats on the beautiful bear.

Tikka270wsm
07-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Very good story and a beauty boar! Congrats for sure.

gerrygoat
07-19-2011, 06:53 AM
You guys sure have some gorgeous bears over in P.G. congratulations.

Slinky Pickle
07-19-2011, 07:19 AM
What a beautiful bear and an incredible story to go with it.

Wow, you ran up to within 15 yards of a wounded grizzly. Having balls the size of yours, do you find that they hang up on stumps when you're moving through the cut blocks? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bear Chaser
07-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Great story & a terrific looking bear.

J_T
07-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Wow, Ambush. Hell of a hunt. Way to go. Super good write up too. Not to long, but all the important stuff. LIKE YOU TOOK IT WITH YOUR BOW. A real accomplishment. Congratulations. I like the confidence. No thought to the what if. Just git er done.

Blainer
07-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Always appreciate your tales!
Thanks for sharing and another great accomplishment on a fine bruin.

bigwhiteys
07-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Right on Ambush! Great Story, Great Bear and with a bow too...

Carl

kennyj
07-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the great story. Congratulations on your beautiful Grizzly.
kenny

Bowzone_Mikey
07-19-2011, 09:40 AM
great Bear Rod ...

markt308
07-19-2011, 09:48 AM
enjoyed the story. Being within 22 yards of that bear must have been pretty crazy. he's real nice lookin. congrats to you

Stone Sheep Steve
07-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Surprized your little pointy sticks were able to penetrate that thick-arse fur!!:)

Excellent write-up Ambush!! Even better than the preview version.

Congrats again!

SSS

pescado
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Great effort. Real nice bear. I think it's quite an accomplishment to take him with your bow. You can tell that you wanted him and the end result shows it. Congratulations!!

The Hermit
07-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Excellent most excellent!! AND you win the Spring Bear Contest in the "Grizzly with a Bow" catetogy. Prize from VantagePoint Outfitters (http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com) is a beauty Fallkniven F1. I'm sure that is all you were really thinking about while chasing that G-Bear around with a pointy stick!! Motivation... LOL

PM me with your shipping details and I'll get your F1 off to you right away!! YOU are the MAN!!! Congratulations!

338 winmag
07-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Grizz with a bow is a great accomplishment, you must have nerves of steel.

srupp
07-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Great color phased G bear..love the 'pants" on the front legs...well done on the shot, the stalk and the write up...well done

Congradulations..

cheers

Steven

ThinAir
07-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Great bear! That thing is a beauty!

Ambush has grown children, he has no nerves left!:)

07-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Fantastic! Awesome bear!

IslandHunterBXL
07-19-2011, 06:08 PM
grizz with a bow, thats my dream hunt! and you just did it! sooo jealous. great read and pics. thanks for sharing. hope to have my own similar story one day

Ambush
07-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Ambush has grown children, he has no nerves left!:)

HAHA!. Yeah, I don't think any bear could put you through more than raising kids to adult hood. :-D

And the "tipsters" can identify themselves, at their descretion. It's great to have people willingly helping to accomplish a goal, with nothing to gain for it.
Thanks a ton Guys.

nature girl
07-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Man oh man that would be pretty hairy shooting a grizz with a bow. But it sounds like youve had alot of experience. Thanks for the great story and the pictures.
Are you going to make a rug or get a life size.

greybark
07-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Well done Ambush , Loved the story and the photos .

bigben
07-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Great story and beautiful bear with a bow nice

TSW
07-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Love the story, and that bear is a thing if beauty. I can't imagine a bigger adrenaline rush than being 22 yards away from a g-bear with your bow drawn!! Thanks for the write-up, a breath of fresh air between seasons.

MOG
07-20-2011, 03:51 AM
WOW,

that is truly awesome well done. What a fantastic place you guys have there in BC!

Regards,

MOG

AltaElkhunter
07-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Awesome, and be glad you still get the chance to do it, not like east of ya.

notellyridge
07-21-2011, 12:35 AM
theres no such thing as a small grizz, especially with a bow!!! nice work and congrats!!

Bistchen
07-21-2011, 10:14 AM
BALLS OUT !

Great job ! Nice looking Grizzly!

killman
07-21-2011, 06:58 PM
About time this was posted! :)
Great job buddy.

yama49
07-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Wow, great story..Thx for sharing it with us......