PDA

View Full Version : Bison Hunt Starting Truck in -40

Don_Abbate
07-18-2011, 07:28 PM
In preparation for my January Bison hunt I just want to see some of the different ways people start there truck in -40 degree weather any tips and methods would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.

Jelvis
07-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Hey don, the one way is to have a small fire under the motor at night or in the day when the temp drops real bad, or keep it running 24-7, bring lots of fuel tho.
Jel .. Believe it or not? ..

mjmbc
07-18-2011, 07:37 PM
ive got a proheat on my ford diesel never anyproblems starting it set the timer for a couple of hours before ya get up and its already warmed up picked mine up for 300$

CanuckShooter
07-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Do you have a block heater? OR inline coolant heater?? If not, your going to want one. Either plug into 110 power or bring along a small generator to pre-heat your engine block. Having synthetic oil helps too....:-)

Don_Abbate
07-18-2011, 07:45 PM
no i do not have a block heater or inline coolant heater. i was thinking just using a tiger torch underneath the truck

mooseless
07-18-2011, 07:50 PM
i need to consider that as well. i go dec 1st! i have heard of tiger torch in a stove pipe with the out let under engine. sounds doable!

mjmbc
07-18-2011, 07:51 PM
no dont use a tiger torch most vhicles sold in canada have a block heater if not there not that expensiv under a hundred bucks but with block heaters you will have to be plugged in most of the night to be effective . what kind of truck do you have where ya planning to stay in a hotel or?

recoil
07-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Ever watch "Ice road truckers"?

Biggest concern is batteries, at those temps they will have half their normal cranking capacity, make sure you have more than one on hand and that they are in good condition or buy new ones prior to leaving. Buy the group 31 HD semi truck batteries if they will fit, they did in my dodge 3/4ton. You can get them for relatively cheap (under $100) at Kenworth, Freightliner or CBS parts.

Don_Abbate
07-18-2011, 07:54 PM
actually i think my truck does have a block heater i just checked on the ford website its a 2010 ranger so yah i do have a block heater i'm planning to stay in a cabin but i don't think they have power in them

Don_Abbate
07-18-2011, 07:57 PM
this cold weather is my only enemy on this hunt its a real pain in the ass lol because ive never hunted in those temperatures. so im not prepared yet

Foxton Gundogs
07-18-2011, 08:04 PM
no i do not have a block heater or inline coolant heater. i was thinking just using a tiger torch underneath the truck

Good battries, synthetic oil, I'd spring for a block heater but if u r going to ise a t-torch get a peice of 5" exhaust aboyt 18" long with a 90 degree end cut close weld a peice of flat bar on the bottom side so the 90 will point up and then put it under the pan with the t-torch just barely in it so the hear but not the flame will be directed to the pan

RJ
07-18-2011, 08:04 PM
You can buy magnetic warmers that you can stick on the oil pan to help with the preheat process. Might be worth bringing a big heavy duty charger with the start setting to help turning over.

mjmbc
07-18-2011, 08:06 PM
gas jobs are fairly easy starts even in cold weather use lighter oil or synthetic good batts a must as well as a battery blanket . if you dont have power maybe get a small genset and batt charger to be on the safe side i cant count how many times people have used tiger torches and managed to start thier trucks on fire yes even useing a pipe , the newer trucks and cars are mostly plastic, then theres gas fumes , oil seaps or leaks . watched a guy torch his truck last year plastic oilpan melted . dont forget a winter front for your truck either thats a must

Don_Abbate
07-18-2011, 08:11 PM
i was also told to disconnect battery and bring it inside with me where it will be kept warm over night.

frenchbar
07-18-2011, 08:15 PM
i was also told to disconnect battery and bring it inside with me where it will be kept warm over night.

good plan!

CanuckShooter
07-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Don't burn your truck up with a torch...the inline coolant heaters do a good job of warming your engine block and you can power them with a generator. They are not expensive, I have one in my diesel tractor, you basically just cut your rad hose and install the heater so there is no need for any expensive garage install.

With an engine block [or inline] heater, and low viscosity oil [or synthetic] you shouldn't have much trouble starting your truck @ -40. Just don't rev the engine rpms up until it has come up in temp after starting.

tomahawk
07-18-2011, 08:30 PM
You've received a lot of good ideas except for Jelvis's " build a fire or leave it running", scrap those 2 idea's. You have a small engine and a block heater with your 2010, which also has a good newer battery. If your at Mike's cabin he should let you use some power, call and ask him or whoever you are staying with and ask if they have provisions to start your truck in severe weather!! If you need to use heat under the engine use a tube with an elbow and torch but do it reasonably, don't BBQ your truck.

noahs ark
07-18-2011, 08:35 PM
We use propane grid heaters in the winter when our concrete mixers dont get used much and sit for long long periods cheap and portable and safe just put it right in front of the grille for a couple hours.
Also I dont think you need to take your batteries out if they're the proper cca for your diesel although it is cheap insurance i guess.
I would also be putting 10w30 or equivalent in.
This ones a given but an anti gel for your diesel is a must. Probably you will have winter diesel but i recomend using some sort of antigel. I prefer Howes diesel lube Nothin worse then a tank full of jelly...

noahs ark
07-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Sorry thought was a diesel.

olharley guy
07-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Howdy, i have started vehicles countless times using a 3-4'0 length of stove pipe with the elbow facing upwards with a Tiger torch and a 20# propane bottle.

Just keep the torch turned down enough so that the flame does not come out of the elbow-heat only. I have also put a sleeping back over the hood to have it heat up a little faster-usually 20-30 minutes is warm enough to start easily and as was stated earlier no reving the engine for a few minutes or better yet not at all.

A flat bar as stated or some rocks to hold the elbow upright. Propane freezes at -40 degrees so if it is colder you may have to start the torch and aim it at the bottom of the bottle if it starts sputtering.- a few times.

Also had to start my Cub quite a few times in this way when I was on the trapline. Just keep an eye on the elbow for flame coming out and you should do ok.

Good luck on the hunt. Later P.S. take gasline anti-freeze.

Buck
07-18-2011, 08:46 PM
my 2005 dodge diesel started NP in minus 30 without plugging in.

Don_Abbate
07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
i hope i have your luck dodge i was checking historical weather and it said last year the wind chill got down to minus 38
so im hoping all goes well but i will be prepared for it

olharley guy
07-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Howdy, wind chill only has an effect on the living things - like you can freeze your you know what's off but the enngine block will stay at the ambient temperature-so if it -25 and it is -40 with the wind chill the motor itself is still at -25.
Just a little bit of useless information. Ha! Later

GRIZZEZE
07-18-2011, 09:14 PM
you can always put a campstove under the oil pan, it does not put out a lot of flames but will heat everything up.
we have done the fire under a steel bucket before, it works but not advised. After this we decided to try the camp stove if there was a next time. Fortunately there was not.
Good batteries are a must, we had a truck go up into minus 30 with batteries that were almost shot (the owner told us when we got there). He then proceed to not let his glow plugs run for the full 2 min ended up draining the battery trying to start it. In the end we did get the truck started, we had my truck charging the batteries, my generator running the block heater and a large propane blast heater pointed at the truck ( by the way his coolant was not good enough either) after 3 hours we finally got the truck running and we have never let him bring his poorly maintained truck along again.
Lesson learnt

Make sure you have good coolant, good strong batteries with high cold cranking amps, if it is a gas engine then you can even put a thinner oil in for the trip and it will be easier to start (change back after you get back to normal temperatures).

gunnie2008
07-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Plug your truck into your gen set with no worry's and your good to go.
Have used on hunt trips in -30
I carry extra battery blanket and extra battery.
Gen set kept my propane engine warm.

Drillbit
07-18-2011, 10:40 PM
A 2010 Ranger will start easy in -40. Lots of good tips, but you shouldn't need to use any of them. Plugging in the block heater wouldn't hurt if it's doable. I've started many gas vehicles in up to -40 with no problems. Use regular gas as recommended for your vehicle, premium gas may be harder to start with, as it resists burning more than regular.

Have a great hunt, and make sure you chainsaw will start at -40, because your life may depend on it.

Krico
07-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Your biggest issue will be fitting the beast in the box of a Ford Ranger if you shoot a big one!!!

keoke
07-18-2011, 11:44 PM
What about fuel lines freezing?

Don_Abbate
07-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Yah what about fuel lines freezing?

buford19
07-19-2011, 06:46 AM
Go with the tiger torch, 4' stove pipe and elbow. There no flames @ the elbow part that heat the engine, just hot air. Your truck will start just like summer conditions. Live in PG, and have done this several times.

specbelly
07-19-2011, 08:31 AM
If you use a tiger torch, make sure you use about 6' of stove pipe. Run the stove pipe under the truck, throw a tarp over the hood and have the torch just inside the pipe. Works great

barry1974w
07-19-2011, 11:53 AM
In line heaters won't work with your truck. It's too new, the warm coolant messes with your cold start settings. I've used the 6 feet of pipe with the elbow and a tiger torch and it works, but with your newer truck you shouldn't have any problems. Running synthetic oil would be a good idea though. Good luck on your hunt.

Salty
07-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Yah what about fuel lines freezing?

As said back a ways use gas antifeeze (methal hydrate). All the gas stations up north have it - comes in little shooter sized bottles usually stocked by antifreeze and fuel additives and the like. Read directions but basically just dump one in before you refuel each time if there's a cold snap on and you'll be golden. I would bring a spare battery or even one of those little booster units you can get at crappy tire. Keep that or the spare in the cabin. Make sure your truck battery is in top notch condition too

Salty
07-19-2011, 01:20 PM
And another thing! LOL Baby your truck when in real cold weather. You've got umpteen steel parts in your steering and suspension systems and drivelines that are brittle like glass almost when its real cold.. and hitting pot holes hard or generally driving like a wild man is asking for trouble.

combine pilot
07-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Where are you staying at. What I have done for sledding is I bought a Wal-Mart 2 stroke 1000 watt generator, take it in the cabin or tent and it will start. i drive a 2003 duramax diesel and the block heater is 800 watts. plug in the truck has worked for me.

BearSniper
07-20-2011, 09:30 PM
-40 c is very serious cold. Suggest you buy or rent a generator, and plug in your block heater all night. A batter charger as well may not be a bad idea to keep the amps up. Nothing like a dead vehicle to ruin a hunting trip.

Backcountry archer
07-20-2011, 10:20 PM
These Bison hunts are real gems and a must do if you get drawn. I've been on two of these frigid expeditions as a helper since I have not had the luck to get a draw yet.
Be prepared for the absolute worst in weather and you will still feel cold. Bring lots of hand and feet warmers and build a fire the minute you get your game down. It brings your limbs back to life. Keep snack foods close to your body or you will be burning energy just to thaw the food. On a sled or a quad make sure your face is completely protected and try not to have any exposed skin since you can get freeze burns from the added wind chill factor. Protect the end of your rifle muzzle from snow and don't put your tongue on anything metal.........ha, ha.
All of the truck starting tips will work great, but think seriously about the tiger torch w/stove pipe if your parking away from hydro.
Good luck, you will have a blast.

shawnwells
07-21-2011, 12:09 AM
I had to use a giant tarp and 2x4's I brought last year to build a house over my Jeep and put propane heaters and electric heaters from a genny in it to get the GD thing running...it took almost a day to get it going...I was gonna ask Helge if he had a room to rent pretty quick...It was GEE AYE WHY...I was just happy to get the hell outta there when it finally went...and ya your battery takes a beating...bring a charger and a genny...and no block heater is just crazy talk...an oil pan heater would be good too I imagine...Best of luck

emerson
07-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Get a new battery with as many CCA as will fit in your battery tray and take it inside with you at night. Switch to synthetic oil that is as light as you can get when it's cold (the first number), probably 0W30. Use some gas line antifreeze and plug in if you can. Make sure and put a cover on the grill to keep cold out. My clutch started to misbehave without a grill cover. If you're real concerned you can get up and start the truck several times during the night. I had a ranger that started at -38 w/o being plugged in and no special precautions.

Foxton Gundogs
07-21-2011, 09:42 AM
The problem is not so much starting it is making sure the oil is thin enough to get to all the parts and do its job. I have seen trucks run 0 psi for a couple of minutes even when pluged in. DONT rev it till there is heat coming out of the vents.

Foxton Gundogs
07-21-2011, 09:50 AM
In preparation for my January Bison hunt I just want to see some of the different ways people start there truck in -40 degree weather any tips and methods would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.

Sounds like the boys have the truck covered now remember to look after your self skin and lungs can frost up fast in -40 get GOOD pipeliner coveralls and a face mask or muffler for your face and to breath through. Good felt packs and mits with a light glove inside are warmer than any heavy glove. Above all DONT SWEAT it will freeze if you stop moving.

Good luck

Don_Abbate
07-21-2011, 10:13 AM
this is all great advice i'm going to go overboard in this vehicle preparation because i don't want to be cursing my self for not being prepared so i will be over prepared on this hunt which should make for a good time and not a headache. thanks to everyone who is helping me out.
im thinking Winter front, synthetic oil, back up battery which will be kept inside, gas line antifreeze, tiger torch just incase, block heater i already have, just a matter if i can get power or not, and start the truck every day maybe a few times a day

GoatGuy
07-21-2011, 11:31 AM
took a generator and had an extra magnetic block heater for the oil pan.

lunatic
07-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Didn't read the whole thread but if this hasn't been said yet I will say it (even though it should be a no-brainer!) Make damn sure your antifreeze is good to -50. Also, i'm not sure if you LML'ers use windshield washer AF or not, but make sure you put some -40 WW AF in your tank as well or you will risk cracking the tank.

Fisher-Dude
07-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Besides the above tips:

1.) Change your fuel filter before the trip.

2.) Run a tank with gas line anti-freeze before you head north to clear any moisture in your tank before it freezes. GLAF doesn't work too well on ice cubes in your fuel line/tank. :wink:

3.) Park your truck with its ass to the wind to keep as much blowing snow as possible from the engine compartment.

Foxton Gundogs
07-21-2011, 08:14 PM
this is all great advice i'm going to go overboard in this vehicle preparation because i don't want to be cursing my self for not being prepared so i will be over prepared on this hunt which should make for a good time and not a headache. thanks to everyone who is helping me out.
im thinking Winter front, synthetic oil, back up battery which will be kept inside, gas line antifreeze, tiger torch just incase, block heater i already have, just a matter if i can get power or not, and start the truck every day maybe a few times a day\

If you are real worried about the temp we have drained our oil when the truck is still warm and stored it inside,