PDA

View Full Version : tuchodi

blackwater moose
07-18-2011, 10:06 AM
we are heading up to the Tuchodi at the end of August , never been there , what type of weather should we expect at this time of year? hunting terrain? bear population? big game population? any other hints,tips or ideas would be appreciated.

bcmulie
07-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Are you taking boat up the river, or flying in to the lakes? I've been into the lakes twice in late August. Weather can be anything from sunny and warm to rain and snow. You'll definitely want to be prepared for snow and cold weather. I don't recall seeing any bears where I hunted, but there are a few grizzlies around. Lots of moose around the lakes, plenty of sheep and caribou up in the mountains. We only saw a few elk when we were in there - I think there's more elk east of the lakes. If you're going into the lakes, PM me and I can give you some more detailed info.

bcmulie

Bowhunter2
07-18-2011, 10:28 AM
have fun respect everything you see

elkdom
07-18-2011, 10:28 AM
August early September weather can be +32 Celsius, or you can wake up to a foot of snow on your tent, it can be hot and dry, or rain every day for 3 weeks, wasps and mosquito's can be horrendous,the terrain, river bottoms. valleys,muskeg, swamps, mountain slopes, where you go is your decision,
bears both Grizz and blackies are abundant, depending on weather and the hunting pressure from Aug 15 onward, you can see lots of game or little,
one thing for certain, the rivers will be VERY busy with jet-boats and hunters,,,,

CanuckShooter
07-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Watch out for the grizz bears, if you leave your game out overnight for recovery odds are good the bears will get it!! The Tuchodi is elk hunting heaven....you'll have a good time if your a serious hunter.

swampthing
07-18-2011, 06:03 PM
I went in once on an elk hunt . Saw 20-30 elk a day. Had to get back a mountain off the river for the bulls. You will have fun.

nap
07-18-2011, 07:27 PM
plan for the unexpected, heading up to the tuchodi lakes on friday, will be back up there for the second week of sept. If you are heading up there by boat, try to touch bases with the rockdoctor, always be bear beware, they can find you, the first time up in that country can throw alot of learning curves. Elk up there like crazy, but don't be discouraged if you head down the river empty handed.(the learning curve thing)

nap
07-18-2011, 07:32 PM
the most important important thing is be carefull!!!! the tuchodi can be unforgiving, first trip up there can cause carnage!!! and that is from expierence, make sure youa nd your boat are made for the tuchodi!!!

Red_Mist
07-18-2011, 09:26 PM
hmmmm, nobody has mentioned the damn wolves. yes to grizz also. the country is thick and can be steep. don't be surprised with a week of solid rain.
have a great hunt. and x2 on the learning curve.

pappy
07-18-2011, 09:57 PM
I have talked to people and they said hunting the elk in that area can be very easy, some years they just watched the elk and picked the biggest set of horns they saw, I have also heard to get back a mountain valley to get into the bulls. I have never been there so its all hear-say to me. Nobody I have talked to has had much trouble with grizzlies in that area, keep an eye out for sheep and goats up high and good luck.