PDA

View Full Version : Quiver size

Greenhead
07-18-2011, 07:51 AM
You backpack hunters, how many arrows do you take along? What size quiver? You see these pics of Chuck Adams with a dozen arrows hangin' off the side of his bow!! I use a 4 place quiver and have always maintained that if I need more than that to get 'er done, I should be back at the range practicing! My problem is I want shoot some ptarmigan this trip as well as lob a practice shot here and there and don't want to screw and unscrew the broadheads off my finely tuned arrows. How many do you pack along? whats your set up?I may just dedicate one for goofing around but pack some extra broadheads, again I'm trying to shave weight and bulk this time around!
Thanks,
GH

BillBraskii
07-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Dont shoot the ptarmigan its bad sheep karma:wink:

Bow Walker
07-18-2011, 10:02 AM
How long you going for?

Were it me, I'd probably take lots of arrows to base camp and pack 3 on the hunt(s). Two killers and one for the small game.

Of course if you're living out of a backpack tent all the time and moving from place to place then I'd be thinking of only packing along the arrows that will be used, maybe 7 arrows in as small a quiver as you can find. 5 killers and 2 small game heads.

You can always make leather covers for the heads and go without a quiver. Pack the arrows in your backpack...

Ambush
07-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Mountain hunting is, of course, different than "regular" hunting. What you got with you is what you got to work with. One of my hunting partners took a tumble and broke every arrow in his quiver. Had there been no spares, it would have been the end of the hunt.
For myself, I have a five arrow, bow mounted quiver. One arrow has a blunt for daily practice shots while hiking. I carry another half dozen, with no points, in a home made fleece tube, that gets secured to my pack for the hike in and out. It stays in camp. I carry a small plastic tube, with a few nocks and several broadheads wrapped in tissue and that tube is with me all the time. I use Spitfire mechanicals, so they are much easier to store than fixed blades. If you use replaceable blades, just store them un-assembled.
You may find that a hip quiver is often in the way while scrambling around on the rocks and they seem to "wave" the fletching all the time to.
Sure, you should really only need one arrow, but stuff happens. You would feel pretty stupid if a huge ram walked out, right in front of you, while you walked along with your empty quiver.