PDA

View Full Version : do you buy an elk tag?

steelballs
07-18-2011, 05:24 AM
If hunting deer in region 8-5 8-9 or 8-12 is it worth getting a tag for elk also?can pm me privately if that is more to your liking. Am a newbie hunter looking for info.

Fisher-Dude
07-18-2011, 05:51 AM
Is it worth $25 if a 6 point walks out and looks at you? Chances are not high of this happening, but think of how hard you'll have to kick yourself in the ass if it does. :wink:

Caveman
07-18-2011, 05:53 AM
Exactly!!!

emerson
07-18-2011, 08:05 AM
If you don't buy a tag for an animal legal in your area, you will see said animal in a perfect setup. I will buy a cougar tag this fall for exactly that reason.

Foxton Gundogs
07-18-2011, 09:06 AM
What they said!!

ruger#1
07-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Is it worth $25 if a 6 point walks out and looks at you? Chances are not high of this happening, but think of how hard you'll have to kick yourself in the ass if it does. :wink: This is dead on the money. I have seen lots of elk in region 8.

steel_ram
07-18-2011, 09:43 AM
It happened to me. While all the serious hunters were up in the high country, I decided to go for a quick poke around in the lower area's to see if I could pick up a whitetail. Heard some bugling, figure it was someone goofing off. Wrong! A big bull, standing broadside 100m's away and me without a tag. Lesson learned.

GoatGuy
07-18-2011, 09:52 AM
The old man laughed at the guy who was buying one until he saw 2 legal bulls standing shoulder to shoulder at 75 yrds opening morning.

07-18-2011, 10:01 AM
you got yer awnser!
25 bucks or a lifetime of pain

adamgarbett
07-18-2011, 10:08 AM
If you don't buy a tag for an animal legal in your area, you will see said animal in a perfect setup. I will buy a cougar tag this fall for exactly that reason.

I second this!

Elkhound
07-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Is it worth $25 if a 6 point walks out and looks at you? Chances are not high of this happening, but think of how hard you'll have to kick yourself in the ass if it does. :wink:

Fully agree as well.
And I am in 8-5 hunting......have not seen the elk yet. But still learning the area.

ruger#1
07-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Fully agree as well.
And I am in 8-5 hunting......have not seen the elk yet. But still learning the area. There were lots around sunday summit on the may long weekend. They are there. Southwest behind the mine is also a good place.

mark
07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I can tell you that I hunted the okanagan area for 10 years before I ever saw an elk, unless you know exactly what your doing, your odds are very, very slim!
like others said, $25 gives you the opportunity!

peashooter
07-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Don't bother, but pm me if you find one and need it dealt with.

I'm kidding of course, not likely to find one by accident but if you did with no tag......ouch!

sed8ed
07-18-2011, 09:22 PM
I always buy a tag when im in elk country, same with moose country, same with cougar (all the same area for me anyways)... Learned the hard way, long time ago... How much would you pay at the time when a nice 6pt walks out in front of you? (wont happen if you have a tag though)

gunnie2008
07-18-2011, 09:23 PM
If hunting deer in region 8-5 8-9 or 8-12 is it worth getting a tag for elk also?can pm me privately if that is more to your liking. Am a newbie hunter looking for info.

Region 8
I wouldn't hesitate in buying a elk tag for $25.

Ride Red
07-18-2011, 09:42 PM
From all the posts here, you should have your answer. Don't leave home without your tags. You never know what you'll see.

shadow1982
07-18-2011, 09:44 PM

Happened to me last hunting season... lol this year i bought every tag.. just in case

edit:

It happened in 8-12

hunter1947
07-19-2011, 02:55 AM
I always get all tags for the animals open in GOS in the area I hunt you just never know when or where..

walks with deer
07-20-2011, 12:48 PM
There is elk in 8-5 8-9 and 8-12

I have been pursuing them in the okanagan and yes by a tag.

and if you want one just get out of the truck and cover ground on foot until you fnd where they live early mornings in september before they open them is a good time to find them.

Iron Glove
07-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Why are you deer hunting in 8-5 ?
There are no deer there.
There are no elk, bear or anything there. ;)
It's barren.
But if you really, really have to hunt there, might as well get an elk tag. And bear tag. And a cougar tag. And a ........... :)

jackychiles
07-20-2011, 05:54 PM

This is exactly what happenned to me. The year of the 2003 fires I was hunting/ scouting mid September. I had spent the morning hiking around my whitetail area and things looked good but I came across a lot of sign that I assumed was moose or elk. It was odd to see but the fires that year seemed to make animals move around and pop up in odd spots and I didn't think anything of it. My buddy and I meet back at the truck around lunch, eat and then decide to drive to another area to look around. Well we are slowly driving down the road and he hits me in the arm and says look at that. Two 6X6 elk are standing off to the side less than 100 yrds away. I stop the truck get out and look through my binos. They didn't move, they just kept on eating and looking at me every now and again then slowly walked off. Had I had a tag that year it would have been the easiest elk ever. Kicking myself to this day and yes I get a tag every year. You never know.

TyTy
07-20-2011, 06:58 PM
last year, walking down de-active road, talking with buddy how we bought the elk tag just cause (we were hunting for moose during the last 5 days of elk GOS)
and right then we see a herd. Its got a big ol 6x6 and some satelite bulls. satellite bulls busted us in the end, but still, glad i had the tag when i did.

buy a tag! its like not packing rain gear. when you don't, it rains,

Darksith
07-20-2011, 07:07 PM
if Im in an area that has a GOS for any species I want to eat, I will have a tag. You just never know what your gonna see.

Weatherby Fan
07-20-2011, 07:39 PM
We were hunting deer near Princeton one year and yup out pops 10 cows and a Legal Bull,my buddy does a cow call with his mouth reed and they come running right at us and he drops the bull in his tracks,best to have a tag handy in my opinion.I don't leave home without one !

riflebuilder
07-21-2011, 06:46 AM
I had to watch two cougars walk 30 yards in front of me because i didn't buy a tag. Also one time when I was hunting Mulies I had to watch two legal bighorn rams munching grass from 100 yards. It was fun to watch them but if you don't have the tag it will only be a viewing oppotunity instead of a frezzer full of good eats and a taxidermy bill. Good luck on your hunt and go buy the Elk tag. If immy moose is open there grab one of those as well.

dino
07-21-2011, 08:07 AM
There were lots around sunday summit on the may long weekend. They are there. Southwest behind the mine is also a good place.

you cant pattern that heard with a watch. Then again so does everyone else.

deerstocker
07-21-2011, 09:26 AM
it happend to me last year a friend told me to buy a elk tag i did the next day --- a 6 point elk walks out into a slash 250 yards --- and one dead elk for the table

ruger#1
07-21-2011, 09:56 AM
you cant pattern that heard with a watch. Then again so does everyone else. I have seen them there in september and october. Whats your point? They migrate through these places.

mr eagle
07-21-2011, 08:51 PM
I have seen the elk a few times in 8-5, no 6 pointers though. Did see a legal 6 point bull in 8-6, he was hanging in another hunters camp.

Goliath
07-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Elk hunting in region 8 is a difficult sport...it's nothing like the WK!

Anyone can get lucky and stumble on one, but the populations are isolated in small pockets in region 8.

Obviously if you know the location/range of a specific herd, then you might be inclined to say region 8 is great for elk...but IMO, it's a needle in a haystack senario. Not trying to discourage you, just being realistic.

Elkhound
07-22-2011, 05:50 PM
There were lots around sunday summit on the may long weekend. They are there. Southwest behind the mine is also a good place.

Thanks Ruger

250 sav
07-23-2011, 02:15 PM
I went down towards Tulameen 5 years ago to look at a job and there was a 5x6 bull elk at 30 yards, so I look in regs, Elk are open and me with no tag! Now if there is a season I will have a tag.