PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizer on backpack hunt?

Greenhead
07-17-2011, 02:32 PM
OK gang, I've shot archery for a couple decades now, both traditional and compound. It was explained to me the advantages of a stabilizer on my compound and I totally get it. My problem is I used to have a strong back and weak mind when it comes to backpack hunts for sheep and goats, but now days my body is weaker than my mind and I have been trying to shave off every ounce when it comes to my gear. I've toyed with idea of ditching the stabilizer! I've shot without it and was just as consistent at the hunting type yardages that I practice, for a half a dozen shots. Obviously I'm not shooting as many shots, or at long distance that I would for target and 3D, so what would it hurt? I feel I've already made up my mind about it but want some opinions, and possibly hear what other sheep and goat hunters do.
Thanks in advance,
GH

Big Lew
07-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Are you going to be hunting with arrows mounted on a quiver attached to your bow? Are you using a modern parallel, or past parallel bow? The extra weight and parallel limbs might make it less necessary to use a stabilizer, but I would practice with your true hunting set-up for a while before going. Having said that though, decent stabilizers now-a-days are not very heavy.

Bow Walker
07-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Stabilizers help to do two things on a bow - one is to help with the balance of the bow, and the second is to help with the vibration dampening.

If neither are required - as on quite a few of "today's" bows - then you can leave the stabilizer at home, with confidence. Especially if your groups are the same without it as with it.

Greenhead
07-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks guy's, been shooting every day without and am consistent at my hunting yardage so I'll ditch the weight. Just needed some opinions because it seems so odd to have worried about having on there all these years! Now on to the next thread, quivers.........
GH

Bowzone_Mikey
07-18-2011, 08:55 AM
4oz here ... 8oz there ...etc.... it makes a differance on a long hike ... with the bows I am shooting .. stabs make no real differance in noise or vibe control .... I use them for balance and to hold my wrist sling in place