PDA

View Full Version : 7 year old hunting.....Question

351BII
07-17-2011, 10:42 AM
I wi was to take my 7 year old out this fall for grouse would he just be a tag along? Ive asked 3 people and got 3 different answers. Do I have to wait till 10 for a youth hunt or? Hes deadly with his .22 and hes bugging me about taking him out to plug a few grouse. Anyone know? Figured out I would get a faster strait answer here. Thanks

Steeleco
07-17-2011, 10:49 AM
He/She must be 10 to shoot any game legally. At that point you'll need to get a junior hunting license for him/her. They're $7 and you'll need a blue piece of paper called an "Acknowledge of responsibility" (free)

The biggest issue I had with my kids before the age of 10 was not letting them shoot chickens. Sure I could have done it on the "QT" but having them NOT tell the world would be next to impossible. Sure it's not the crime of the century, but if they are to learn and respect the rules, they all count!!

leadpillproductions
07-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I wouldnt he has to be ten , i dont agree with the rule .I bring my 9 yr old out with me but i havent let him shoot anything yet .

Shooter
07-17-2011, 10:55 AM
I believe to be legal a child must be at least 10 years old to obtain a junior hunters license. At that time they can shoot game on YOUR tags and anything they shoot counts towards YOUR bag/possession limit.

Shooter
07-17-2011, 10:58 AM
He/She must be 10 to shoot any game legally. At that point you'll need to get a junior hunting license for him/her. They're $7 and you'll need a blue piece of paper called an "Acknowledge of responsibility" (free)

The biggest issue I had with my kids before the age of 10 was not letting them shoot chickens. Sure I could have done it on the "QT" but having them NOT tell the world would be next to impossible. Sure it's not the crime of the century, but if they are to learn and respect the rules, they all count!!

Very well said! If they learn early that its only bad if they get caught then that's something they won't soon forget either.

351BII
07-17-2011, 11:53 AM
OK thanks for the quick replies. Thats exactly what I figured as well. Just needed that .5% reassurance. Going to be 3 long years. I support all your opinions on being leagal. Respect and ethic is what Ive been teaching him since day 1. Secured me a good retriever for the next 3 years. haha. Thanks

Steeleco
07-17-2011, 12:04 PM
My son helped me get a Blacktail out of an ugly spot high up Sylvester road when he was 8. Things haven't been the same since. 4 deer and 3 bears since he turned 10, now he's 15, that Blacktail seems so long ago.

351BII
07-17-2011, 12:53 PM
My son helped me get a Blacktail out of an ugly spot high up Sylvester road when he was 8. Things haven't been the same since. 4 deer and 3 bears since he turned 10, now he's 15, that Blacktail seems so long ago.

Thats so cool. Good for him. i cant wait. Went out for a quad ride 2 yrs ago up sylvester scouting and I shot a blue grouse up there and everytime were there hes got his eyes peeled and points out anything that moves.

Caretaker
07-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Icouldn't wait also, my son has been hunting with me since he was 10 he is now 22, the best and most reliable hunting partner i have ever had, the only trouble beeing is I have lost everything. LOL as now my son says to his freinds MY Truck,MY Quad, My Boat, and on and on.

MillBay
07-18-2011, 02:36 PM
I know a kid who has shot a deer before the age of 7. His role model is not a hunter but has a license. The kid is learning every bad habit you can imagine and all he wants to do is kill. With his 22 if it moves he kills it. Kids under the age of 10 probably can't comprehend what it really means when they pull that trigger and kill something. Pulling a deer out of the bush that Dad shot is all part of the learning experience, not the killing, that comes later.

GAME TIME
08-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that it's a criminal offence to let anyone under 10 touch a firearm.

NoLimit99
08-02-2011, 12:03 AM

I have to say good true answer and I respect how you said it. Good on you for the comments it's nice to hear others who are true to hunting and repect the rules.