PDA

View Full Version : General advise for newbs

new hunter
07-17-2011, 08:22 AM
So the seasons gonna be here soon and if your anything like me your weekend have been devoted to scouting , target practice and hoping youre doing it right to finally trade the tag in your pocket for a deer in the freezer this year.
I've got some great advise from some of the pro's out there on things like suggested elevations ,bedding habits and the slight habitat difference for black tails and muleys , I was just thinking it would be cool if we could post as much basic information and tips that we can come up with to help those of us that are still a little green .
Anything that might be helpful , wether its how high to start looking for deer in the alpine , suggested food plants to look for , things not to do like skylining yourself on a hill top , even your prefered deer cartridge , rifle and why .
Hopefully we can get a few posts going and help some of the newbies like myself have a better year.:mrgreen:

new hunter
07-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Maybe I can get the ball rolling with a question , I see lots of moose sh!t where I've been scouting , but not that much deer sign . Do moose and deer share the same habitat ?
Heres a tip that I've picked up that seems to be true so far , look for south facing hillsides when scouting as they get longer sun exposure during the day . So far when I've found tracks it has been in south facing areas .
Another one that I've heard is that deer seem to be more active during shitty weather , so far the only time I've run into deer while hiking was when it was pissing doown rain .
Feel free to correct me or add your own thoughts .

Steeleco
07-17-2011, 10:24 AM
One of the best pieces of advice I was given as a newb "stop looking for whole animals" Initially I thought what the hell does that mean? But if you start looking for ear's, tails, single points on a rack etc you'll start seeing more animals. Even the slightest movement should be investigated. Your eyes should be moving twice as much as your feet!!

Steeleco
07-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Another one that I've heard is that deer seem to be more active during shitty weather , so far the only time I've run into deer while hiking was when it was pissing doown rain .

If your hiking close to home, that info would be 110% accurate. Blacktails love the rain. The 3 times I've been on successful Blacktail hunts, we got soaked to the bone.

madrona sh
07-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Do not be afraid to head off the beaten trail into the bush to find your deer. I find it more rewarding than glassing a cut block from a road. Find the right timber and go get em.

CanuckShooter
07-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Maybe I can get the ball rolling with a question , I see lots of moose sh!t where I've been scouting , but not that much deer sign . Do moose and deer share the same habitat ?
Heres a tip that I've picked up that seems to be true so far , look for south facing hillsides when scouting as they get longer sun exposure during the day . So far when I've found tracks it has been in south facing areas .

Watch the wind....make slow deliberate movements....you are in their house and they will almost always spot you first if your moving so your odds go up if you don't hike around like your heading to the rodeo. Try sitting on the downwind side of a clearing, hang a small white plastic bag upwind with some doe in heat scent on it....the bag fluttering in the wind will get their attention away from you and attract them.

nature girl
07-17-2011, 01:32 PM
This has probably all hit us just as the sun is coming up your all ready to hunt then you have to hit the bush to take a crap.
So, my word of advice to all the newbies is go to the bathroom before your ready to hunt because you get excited your going hunting and then you gotta go.

brian
07-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Take notes when scouting/hunting on what sign you see where, when, how old, conditions. I use my gps for this so I don't need to do the where and when. This will help you get an overall picture of the land you are in.

(Nature girl, that one hits me every time I get out in the woods, my girlfriend says its because of all the squating sitting and crouching positions... just primes the bowels for the next logical step!)

quadrakid
07-17-2011, 03:13 PM
#1 advice for newbies,take firearms safety seriously.

knighthunter
07-17-2011, 03:51 PM
If your walking a cut block, skidder track or logging trail, every once in awhile stop and take a look behind you, alot of times a big buck will let you walk by him, then he'll get up and walk out to the trail and watch you for a couple of minutes.
Always use your bino's, not your riflescope to take a look at something.

moosenuts2
07-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Don't smoke.

keep your hunting camo gear on only for hunting not standing around the fire later in day

longstonec
08-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Don't smoke.

keep your hunting camo gear on only for hunting not standing around the fire later in day

I used some activated carbon sent blocker spray stuff once. I would spray all over myself. after a week of wall tent living if i stood still does would look at me and then walk past within spitting distance.

08-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Sun at your back is just as important as wind in your face.
The deer have trouble picking you out if they are looking into the sun

frenchbar
08-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Rolling rocks from atop steeper narrow treed draws where you might think some are bedded sometimes works for me to get some deer moving up into clearings on the other side...

frenchbar
08-12-2011, 04:03 PM
if your out camped for a few days...MAKE sure you drag your ass out of bed in the dark and get OUT there and hunt the mornings ...no heading out at 9 bells and stroll back to camp at 2..and hunt the evenings till Dark..you will be a lot more successfull .

Glenny
08-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Slow down.

08-12-2011, 04:05 PM
if your out camped for a few days...MAKE sure you drag your ass out of bed in the dark and get OUT there and hunt the mornings ...no heading out at 9 bells and stroll back to camp at 2..and hunt the evenings till Dark..you will be a lot more successfull .

Here Here!
That is why i take my truck, If they sleep in im not stuck lookin for a ride!

frenchbar
08-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Here Here!
That is why i take my truck, If they sleep in im not stuck lookin for a ride!

i hear ya ..i dont go any where without my own wheels.

08-12-2011, 04:14 PM
When your walkin up to and over a ridge, Stop every couple steps to Bino the next ridge.
when you are cutblock hunting try to stay as far as you can in the treeline and still be able to look out into the cut block. it breaks up your outline.