PDA

View Full Version : What seaducks have you shot on the west coast?

lorneparker1
07-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I was doing some research as I am doing about 4 doz repaints and going to give the seaducks hell this year if all goes well. I have seen lots of golden eyes (mostly barrows i think didnt pay that much attention ) halis, surf scoters and white wings. also lawndarts and buffleheads. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head. any others you have seen?

longshot
07-16-2011, 10:40 AM
There are some canvasbacks that come through the valley every February. Never seen them in the duck season though. How's your boat??

field marshal
07-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Greater and lesser Scaup also Ringnecks will go to saltwater if there is a freeze-up.----Field Marshal.

lorneparker1
07-16-2011, 11:25 AM
really? i havent seen a blue bill since ive lived here....

shot a few back east though!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/LorneP/P1010670.jpg

Imagine the amount of shells it took us to kill this many out of layout boats!

Crazy_Farmer
07-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Sweet dear god..... Look at all those hens!!! :shock: :wink:

lorneparker1
07-16-2011, 12:04 PM
30 of 41! hahaha

shotgunjohn
07-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Bluebills may not be sea ducks but I have shot a few at Cowichan Bay over the years. I've also seen one drake Redhead taken from the bay but that was 25 years ago.
The Ringnecks I've taken have all been off fresh water ponds. Also once saw some Oldsquaw off Cherry point but only the one time.

Ian F.
07-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Skunkheads are the most common, followed by WW's, snots are pretty rare.

Barrows 50:1 over commons on the salt

Some Oldsquaw around, but they do taste like shit! Have to go deep for them usually, and they really like their own kind.

Harlies, you only need 6 to 12 dekes

red and common lawndarts, but they'll decoy to anything

Although Buffies are part of tribe Mergini, I consider them Bay ducks...

Divers....

Bluebills are around on the island, you'll find them if they are there!

Cans are pretty rare, look for their drinking spots on the freshwater, only numbers I've seen has been in the spring in no-shoot zones

Redheads are extremely rare, seen 1 in 5 years

Decent numbers of ringers, in the marshes though...

Ian