PDA

View Full Version : 4-36 for Moose and Elk any suggestions

Dad and son
08-27-2006, 10:58 AM
I am taking my 2 kids out for the early bow season in 4-36 because we got the Moose draw. (Sept 1-9). Does any one have any suggestions on areas to check out. I have never hunted the area before. I could always drive down the Forest service roads and look for potential areas but a head start would be appreciated. We will be hunting with a crossbow and will primarily be after moose, but also would like to see some Elk. Thank you.

Jelvis
08-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Dad. Moose and Elk have slightly different habitat. If you went where there was Elk there should be deer too, Moose like water areas like lakes, marshs and such, early in the season then change to browse like willow areas. Sept 1 to 9 is early. I know there are some whitetail and elk on the benchland between Golden and Donald Station. From Donald Station a road runs north to Bush Arm of the Columbia reach of the Kinbasket Lake this area looks the moosiest look it up on a map and see what you think, Jel Good hunting with your sons

sealevel
08-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Dad kimbasket lake has probley the biggest moose pop. in the provence . there`s a good elk herd in the bush and blaeberry rivers.----jelves someone forgot to tell the moose in that bigbend country that there habitat was swamps and marshes.

Brambles
08-27-2006, 10:16 PM
You have a pretty good chance at running into elk and moose in the same place, I have 3 times bugled in moose, no kidding the moose came right in to within 15 feet on each occasion. This time of year being hot you should look for green decidous areas near streams and creeks, they are big animals and need lots of water and shade

Stone Sheep Steve
08-28-2006, 06:03 AM
If you can bow hunt Sept 1-Oct 24 before your rifle season starts I'd suggest going towards the end of Sept when your odds go up for calling in a bull. Make's it a helluva a lot easier for bow hunting. Don't know if your kids' schedule will allow it if they have school. My Dad and I are heading up to 4-40 the last weekend of Sept for our shared draw. For the life of me I don't know why they don't have draws similar to the West side of Revelstoke Dam Lake where you can rfle hunt right through the rut. 4-40 has WAAAAAY less access than the West side of Revelstoke. There's more access in your draw area.
Have fun because that's what it's all about!

SSS