PDA

View Full Version : Anderson lake hidden valley ?

SimilkameenSlayer
07-15-2011, 12:04 PM
50°35'27.41"N 122°21'32.20"W

has anyone hunted the area around the red marked route?
i wounder if that's where the big bears and dragons live?

it looks like a fly in / satellite phone expedition for those with survival skills kind of hunting trip.

thanks!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb69/Goldboy_bucket/hiddenvalley.jpg

Gateholio
07-15-2011, 12:52 PM
As the late Bill Pietla (who lived near Darcy and horse hunted in Lost Valley many years ago) said to me..."Well, there isn't any really GOOD way to get into Lost Valley!" :)

you can access it via Haylmore FSR and then up to the Twin Lakes and over.

SimilkameenSlayer
07-15-2011, 09:59 PM
As the late Bill Pietla (who lived near Darcy and horse hunted in Lost Valley many years ago) said to me..."Well, there isn't any really GOOD way to get into Lost Valley!" :)

I've actually never been in there, but you can access it via Haylmore FSR and then up to the Twin Lakes and over.

thanks for the direction.

cheers.

NorthShoreX
07-17-2011, 01:24 AM
Can't you canoe down to the mouth of Lost Valley Creek from Seton Portage? You can park the canoe in the bush and then access the valley via the creek. I was looking at a few different maps and satellite images and this looks like a good option.

Gateholio
07-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Where the creek empties into Anderson Lake is a bit more like a waterfall than a beach. You may be able to do this, but I'm not sure.

frenchbar
07-17-2011, 09:31 AM
my dad use to own that piece of property below the falls...not sure if theres a trail up to the valley or not .

Redfrog
07-17-2011, 01:49 PM
I've been into the top of Haylemore and lost valley with horses and on foot. I've also gone over the ridge to look down the watershed to Duffy lake. I have also come up and over from the south side at Duffy lake. If anyone wants some info send me a PM.

SimilkameenSlayer
07-17-2011, 09:46 PM
thanks again for the replies! very much appreciated. :)

the terrain looks difficult for hiking, thick bush etc, a helicopter drop off "maybe" more appropriate and setup a base camp to explore from. drinking water is also a big consideration.

Redfrog
07-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Drinking water isn't a problem anywhere in that area that I know . Devil's club is not in short supply either.

pmj
07-20-2011, 06:57 PM
thanks again for the replies! very much appreciated. :)

a helicopter drop off "maybe" more appropriate and setup a base camp to explore from..

Helicopter can only be used if you are not hunting.

Paulyman
07-20-2011, 10:58 PM
The end of your route is Near Mt Ntraitskel a area where some friends of mine went hiking last weekend, the end of your red line would easily be accessed from the Gott Creek fsr, Unfortunately the Gott Creek fsr has a bridge at the 7km mark that is scheduled for deactivation on the 27th of July.

frenchbar
07-21-2011, 08:49 AM
The end of your route is Near Mt Ntraitskel a area where some friends of mine went hiking last weekend, the end of your red line would easily be accessed from the Gott Creek fsr, Unfortunately the Gott Creek fsr has a bridge at the 7km mark that is scheduled for deactivation on the 27th of July.
You must mean the Downton crk fsr ..Gotts on the other side of 99.

Foxton Gundogs
07-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Im sure there have been huge changes in the insuing years but we used to hunt a place were knew as Barkley Valley. Off loaded the horses at the Devine rail shack and rode in pretty much NE from there uo and old trail. There was a bunch of real nice cabins with furnishings and out buildings including a barn, we were told it was a comune at one time but they were air lifted out when winter dumped 13 ft of snow on them. Lots of game in there back then beautifull country but I have not been back in years.

Iron Sighted
07-21-2011, 02:07 PM
I think the Barkley Valley can be accessed from the Haylmore FSR. I plan to get in to that area this year for sure as it is right in my back yard. Hoping to take my wife on a backpacking trip in that region in a few weeks(well, a scouting trip, but she can call it a backpacking trip if it makes her feel better...).

Gateholio
07-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Barkley is easily accessed via the Haylemore and then a quad trail. Lots of recreation up there.

Paulyman
08-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Yes you're right, I had it mixed up.
You must mean the Downton crk fsr ..Gotts on the other side of 99.

08-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Lots of Granola munchers that just hate the site of people like us with guns. There are regularly groups and I MEAN GROUPS 4 to 14 we have seen in there before. They like to hike the ridge lines too so what goats are there are VERY spooky. Get Back Further on the North side of Lost Valley Best. The Barkley has become hike fest for city for any and every one sad really !

CT

Iron Sighted
08-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Just got back from Twin Lakes yesterday, was beautiful up there, unfortunately my wife got sick on the way up and our 3 night tour turned in to a 1 night deal so back we went the next day. We did run into a group of four hikers from the city on their way down after spending a few nights up at the higher of the Twin Lakes. They had a few looks at the butt stock of my 870 sticking out the top of my Eberlestock camo pack but they were very nice, also they packed out some old rusted out, busted up shovel and other garbage they'd found out that way, I told them just to toss it all in to the back of my old beater truck that I had parked near their car. Funny, they actually managed to get a Honda Civic all the way to where vehicle access ends and quad/dirt bike/foot traffic only begins, I was amazed they managed to get through the running washout in the car(or would actually attempt it), though it looked like they had suffered a puncture along the way as one tire was quite low(I let them know when we passed each other on the trail).

No game animals spotted on my trip this time, well I did spook a grouse and it's young ones, other than that just a few marmots, one of which was happy to let me get within 3-4 feet of him to take some photos.

I'll be heading back there for sure this year, though next time Lost Valley will likely be my destination or perhaps the Melvin Lake area if there is not too much foot traffic in there.

Foxton Gundogs
08-03-2011, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=curly top;956633]Lots of Granola munchers that just hate the site of people like us with guns. There are regularly groups and I MEAN GROUPS 4 to 14 we have seen in there before. They like to hike the ridge lines too so what goats are there are VERY spooky. Get Back Further on the North side of Lost Valley Best. The Barkley has become hike fest for city for any and every one sad really !
[QUOTE]

Glad I have pix and memories funny used to think how good my grandfather had it shooting deer where SFU is now, and on Bowen Is. Ducks at the foot or Boundry and Burn Roads, Phesants on Lulu Is.. Now I think about all the places we hunted when I was young..... GONE wow glad I wont be around in 100 yrs.

dino
08-03-2011, 08:55 PM
go here on the opener. most guys if any go right past this and think they need to go farther. Ive been here and their are lots of deer here.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/googlemapbarkly.jpg

Iron Sighted
08-04-2011, 12:19 AM
I'll check that area out next time I'm in there, thanks for the heads up Dino.

Paulyman
08-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Sad really? ha ha that's funny. If you're talking about groups of 4-14 you're quite possibly talking about mountaineering trips with the BCMC, I haven't been out with them yet, but I can tell you that I know some of them are hunters and do not fit the generalization you're making. I am quite involved in the hiking community and can tell you with certain accuaracy the granola crunching hiker you and many others have conjured up in your minds is far from reality
Lots of Granola munchers that just hate the site of people like us with guns. There are regularly groups and I MEAN GROUPS 4 to 14 we have seen in there before. They like to hike the ridge lines too so what goats are there are VERY spooky. Get Back Further on the North side of Lost Valley Best. The Barkley has become hike fest for city for any and every one sad really !

CT

dino
08-04-2011, 12:20 PM
I'll check that area out next time I'm in there, thanks for the heads up Dino.

Iron, the deer I saw were not big and I dont know if they are muely blacktail cross or not. Gatehouse or proguide might be able to help with that. I did see goats and what looked like an outfitter on horses across the valley.

Gateholio
08-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Definitely not pure blacktail there.

Iron sighted, what was the road up there like? It had a rockslide over it at a certain point last time I was up there.

MichelD
08-04-2011, 03:34 PM
I've been a bit East of there scouting for goats and found an astounding lack of deer sign in numerous perfect looking set of alpine basins.

08-04-2011, 06:05 PM
In response to Paulyman,
Many hikers have been generalized as many hunters have. Big deal. I have hiked all over those ranges while hunting, with one or 2 partners. We've been accused of displacing the animals, killing every thing that moves, the BAMBI movie syndrome. We selectively have taken a number of deer over 4 pt.s and a few Billies only as requested by our Regulations. When huge groups come in weekend after weekend, hike the ridge lines, it's no wonder it appears critters are getting less and less. Over all it's far to much Pressure on the animals being they are hunted or not. The hiking, thats going on throughout the province, being started in one place, finished in a another should be regulated like an LEH hunt really. Limited to specific individuals. The North Thompson is a prime example. Dropped by chopper on one range, picked up on another, in the mean time the movement and activity through the goat range has put the goats in peril. Then theres the heli skiing, more pressure on the goats winter range. The animals move to areas they are not comfortable with because of the large groups, then get nailed by predators. The easy access to our alpine hours from Vancouver is being spoiled ......... and not specifically by hunters but by many hikers that think they are natures friends. Barkley is a beautiful place to go, but if I were this guy I would get away off the beaton path, and this is not that place any more.

CT

gwillim
08-04-2011, 09:42 PM
I would have to question Curly Tops statements above. I have enjoyed hiking and ski touring throughout BC since I was a kid. I always found that in areas where animals weren't under any hunting pressure, they tend not to worry about people walking by. Not sure about helicopters, as i really only get to fly in them occasionally for work. Here's a mule deer hanging out in a popular hiking area in the Kootenays. I walked within 20m or so of this guy. The same day we had a herd of goats stroll past us.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/mulie3.jpg

Iron Sighted
08-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Iron, the deer I saw were not big and I dont know if they are muely blacktail cross or not. Gatehouse or proguide might be able to help with that. I did see goats and what looked like an outfitter on horses across the valley.

No matter Dino, this is going to be my first season hunting so as long as it is a legal buck I won't be real fussy, if I am lucky enough to get one early in the season then I'll be selective when looking at second one.

Definitely not pure blacktail there.

Iron sighted, what was the road up there like? It had a rockslide over it at a certain point last time I was up there.

Gatehouse, the road was alright up until the rockslide, I think it is somewhere around the 14-16km mark. After that it is ATV/dirtbike/foot traffic only. You'd have no problem getting as far as the rockslide in your truck, as I mentioned in my earlier post there was a Honda Civic parked at that point, if you have an ATV then you'll be able to cruise way up the trail well in to the switchbacks leading up to Twin lakes. There are numerous other rockslides past the initial one that a vehicle couldn't be driven past as well, in spite of the "active logging" sign at the bottom of the FSR I doubt any work has been done on that road in some time.

dino
08-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Iron if your a beginner look at the plants in the pic that gwillim posted. I dont know the right name of the plant but muleys love that stuff in the early season. When you can find out what an animal is eating at diffrent times of the year this will help you in your quest. Some alpine just doesnt hold the right feed and that is why some animals are scarce when everything else looks right. Follow the food and your halfway there.