PDA

View Full Version : Hunting waste

Crys Shorty
07-15-2011, 08:39 AM
So I've noticed a trend that really gets under my skin, that being the wastefulness of some hunters. Especially trophy hunters. The idea of killing a magnificent 7 or 8 foot bear and all the hunter wants is the skull is a damn waste. Or even some that shoot bears 'just because'. Yes they have a tag and it's a legal kill, but so unethical. I feel the need to remind some of the various possibilities that can be done with an animal. If you don't want, or need the meat, it can be donated to the salvation army. Before your hunt, do some research. There's lots of people on this website as well that wouldn't mind the meat for their dogs. Any option is better then letting a carcass rot in the bush. Another option is trappers. Many are always in need of bait. Look up your local fur depot and see if you can get the name of someone. And then there's the hide. If you can't afford to get a hide tanned or rugged, if you flesh it you can actually get paid by taking it to the fur depot. So if you know you're not going to be using the animal you're planning to shoot, do some research before you head out!

happyhunter
07-15-2011, 09:28 AM
I hear what your saying but keep in mind that nothing really goes to 'waste' as the scavengers will come along and enjoy an easy meal and will pick that carcass clean.

fearnodeer
07-15-2011, 09:40 AM
So I've noticed a trend that really gets under my skin, that being the wastefulness of some hunters. Especially trophy hunters. The idea of killing a magnificent 7 or 8 foot bear and all the hunter wants is the skull is a damn waste. Or even some that shoot bears 'just because'. Yes they have a tag and it's a legal kill, but so unethical. I feel the need to remind some of the various possibilities that can be done with an animal. If you don't want, or need the meat, it can be donated to the salvation army. Before your hunt, do some research. There's lots of people on this website as well that wouldn't mind the meat for their dogs. Any option is better then letting a carcass rot in the bush. Another option is trappers. Many are always in need of bait. Look up your local fur depot and see if you can get the name of someone. And then there's the hide. If you can't afford to get a hide tanned or rugged, if you flesh it you can actually get paid by taking it to the fur depot. So if you know you're not going to be using the animal you're planning to shoot, do some research before you head out!

Total agree with you on this, if you kill it do something with it, no problems with someone giving it away for dog food ect, just us it.

Barracuda
07-15-2011, 10:02 AM
do you spend alot of time makeing this stuff up?

with the exception of grizzly a hunter must bring back the meat. salvation army take the meat? Fur depot take the meat? good luck with that.

So called greedy meat hunters are key in the destruction of wildlife and the last thing these fake pc hunters need is probably more food which can be attained at super market of organic farm.
I am always amused at what these so called food hunters say to justify what they are doing' Trophy hunters want to increase and improve population to increase hunting opportunities .
The vast majority of so called meat hunters simply want to kill and consume and pretend its more ethical simply because they feed it to thier friends and family slapping each other on the backs and proclaiming how great a hunter they are

steelheadSABO
07-15-2011, 10:36 AM
I also think it's wrong to go out and shoot the biggest grizzly you can find and only keep the skull or hide to brag to you buddies. (I think guys like that must have short man syndrome or something?). But I also agree nothing go's to waste as other predators will eat off the carcass.

alexboyprin
07-15-2011, 10:39 AM
hi. i asked my CO about giving bear meat to charitable organisations and he told me "he would not give bear meat to these organisations" because of the trichinosis problems. But, i agree for the dog food option.

RJ
07-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Threads like these are a good way to alienate yourself from a lot of potential help from a lot of guys on here.
You might not agree with some methods, but if it's legal, don't bother!

quadrakid
07-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Some of you guys sound like antis. Before you talk about waste how many of you eat the liver and heart,let alone the mooses nose like alot of native folks. If you don,t like people shooting bears maybe you should spend more time on the Suzuki Foundation website.

Crys Shorty
07-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Check your regs p. 15 under Accidental illegal harvest, "In circumstances where such animals are recovered by the COS the meat will be distributed and utilized by those in need...." And in terms of nothing goes to waste because it provides food to other predators,.. very true except natural selection doesn't pick off a healthy 7 foot bear, it takes out the weak. Sometimes you gotta throw a big one back to get more big ones in following years. What do you think happens when a CO has to shoot a problem bear? The hide is fleshed and salted and goes to the wildlife auction and the meat is utilized. (at least in BC anyways). And RJ.. blow me. I turn away jobs if I don't like a hunters ethics, whether I'm losing work or "alienating" myself, I would rather not be associated with people like that anyways.

RJ
07-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Lol keep the personal attacks to youself, and go back to the hole you crawled out of

Steeleco
07-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I can see this thread going south, but will leave it open at least for now. But to the OP, how many instances of wastage have you found from either camp, meat hunters or trophy hunters? We've lots of members here that pipe in all the time, with the coverage in the bush this population represents you'd think we'd here about it here?? Wait till Oct and the accounts of illegal bulls start to show, but even then it's not a prevalent as your post would have us believe.

Barracuda
07-15-2011, 11:17 AM
i think you better check a little deeper then your pretend world CRYS.

animals dont only take the sick or weak LOL talk about outdated disney thinking.

Bears in general dont get given out from the roadkill cafe program that is primarily ungulates.

This is an invented issue

quadrakid
07-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Heres a question for you CS. You have a problem with guys hunting a bear for its skull and or hide yet on another one of your threads today you are looking for advice on a rifle for wolf and or lynx.You planning on eating that wolf or lynx?

Blainer
07-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Heres a question for you CS. You have a problem with guys hunting a bear for its skull and or hide yet on another one of your threads today you are looking for advice on a rifle for wolf and or lynx.You planning on eating that wolf or lynx?L.O.L!
GOOD research quadrakid.

bforce750
07-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Why are some of these intraweb hunters cominng down on law abiding fellows hunters , we have heard your opinion CS, heres mine... you can practice what you preech and so can everybody else as long as its legal....and your post sucks by the way...I think you should belong to an anti-hunting organization ....they would proabably agree with you to :biggrin:

elkdom
07-15-2011, 11:56 AM
anyone want my extra "Wolf Meat"? :?

bforce750
07-15-2011, 12:00 PM

CS promotes catch and release on the wolves he shoots

steel_ram
07-15-2011, 12:05 PM
If I was worried about feeding trich. infested bear meat to people, I certainly wouldn't be feeding it to my dog.

The OP wasn't against bear hunting, but against leaving the meat behind, fair enough.

Personally, I think leaving it behind for the scavengers is poor justification and is a waste. Shooting more than your family needs is greedy. That's just my opinion.

Blacktail
07-15-2011, 12:05 PM

yup got some coyote, badger and gopher meat for stew too

Tenacious Billy
07-15-2011, 12:08 PM
There's too many bears in the woods and you have to get them before they get you........

elkdom
07-15-2011, 12:08 PM

OH ! the possibilities??? can a GOPHER be substituted for a GERBIL ????

a lot of people that do not trophy hunt, own GERBILS !

CanuckShooter
07-15-2011, 12:12 PM

GROSS, the coyote would ruin the stew in my opinion.......the OP has probably let more than a few 'guests' know they can cash in their bear hides and give game meat to trappers to use in their craft. Lots of people have no idea that these are options for people to explore.

gunnie2008
07-15-2011, 12:16 PM

I needed the freezer Space so I gave away a field caped frozen 2yr Old (Skinned Whole )elk hide to a Elder in PG to turn in to a drum , hoping they save some of the long hair, would make excellent Buck tail Flies. for fishing.
Reading your post reminded of the hide.
WTF was I thinking! Dementia must be setting in. sh**.

Blacktail
07-15-2011, 12:19 PM
OH ! the possibilities??? can a GOPHER be substituted for a GERBIL ????

a lot of people that do not trophy hunt, own GERBILS !

well now just think of the possibilities!!

The Dawg
07-15-2011, 12:32 PM
well now just think of the possibilities!!

I'd rather not :( lol

Steeleco
07-15-2011, 12:37 PM
I hate these long summer days, the locals go crazy LOL