PDA

View Full Version : Trophy hunting " the mental challange"

dino
07-15-2011, 07:20 AM
How many of your out there have elevated your status to this level or are trying to but just find the mental part is such a big hurdle.

07-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Wait until you get my age and it's easy, family all grown up, very few mouths to feed, don't really need the meat, hate packing out an animal, easy to save your back and effort for a bigger mature trophy animal.

SHAKER
07-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Not sure if it's really elevated but more of a personal choice thing. The term "trophy hunter" means differnt things to everyone and does make me cring a little. "Trophy hunters" of old shot the biggest and baddest critters around just for the head and hide with no regard for the meat. Not a great image to the public, but as a selective harvesting of game animals for both table and wall if one chooses sounds waaaaaay better.

I sort of fall into the selective harvester catagory, Elk and moose I'm not selective and don't unlimited time to hunt them so if it's legal it gets a pill. Whitetails I don't have much interest in but they taste good so they fall into this catagory too.

Mule deer, Bears and Cats I am selective...I've taken my fair share and I either really need the meat or it's a critter I just can't live without.

dino
07-15-2011, 07:56 AM
OK. I meant selective hunting. Being politicly correct is such a drag ,why cant we just say what we mean.

07-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Nope, never have any qualms about trophy hunting

.300WSMImpact!
07-15-2011, 08:16 AM
I trophy hunt so that I don't tag out in the first week, I enjoy being in the bush, it is almost sad when all my tags are cut what am I going to do if I cant hunt

Weatherby Fan
07-15-2011, 08:22 AM
A Trophy is in the eye of the beholder,one fellow will call his 150 class 4pt a trophy next guy has to to have it make B&C to be a trophy !
Thats what makes hunting fun,
The mental challenge of holding out for something you consider is of Trophy status can be very hard for some,I have been fortunate to have shot quite a few Mule Deer over the years,I haven't shot one in a few years as I'm looking for my Trophy,doesn't have to make B&C but must appeal to me just the same.

The hardest part of holding out for that deer or any other animal is knowing the difference between an average animal or a Trophy (field judging) I've seen guys shoot a huge 4 pt only to be dissapointed at the score,you need to know what your looking for in a so called high scoring or book Trophy.

I find it's best to know what you want in an animal b4 you go hunting that way you can manage your mental hurdle.
WF

CanuckShooter
07-15-2011, 12:26 PM
I trophy hunt so that I don't tag out in the first week, I enjoy being in the bush, it is almost sad when all my tags are cut what am I going to do if I cant hunt

There are always coyotes & wolves around....and usually your buddies aren't tagged out and need company and assitance handling game....take out a kid.....play 'guide' for a less experienced hunter!! Just a few ideas fur ya!! ;-)

The only mental hurdle I've ever had to pass was late season deer hunting...letting a decent 4pt walk in hopes of seeing a bigger one....my partner congratulated me on graduating into a hunter from a blood thirsty killer, not sure what he meant by that?? ;-)

Fisher-Dude
07-15-2011, 12:40 PM
How many of your out there have elevated your status to this level or are trying to but just find the mental part is such a big hurdle.

I don't see anyone "elevated" and I don't see any "status" in hunting. People hunt what they choose to. There's no "status" to be achieved, and there's no raising of oneself above someone who chooses differently. The old guy I saw with his grandkids that shot a 2 point muley on the road was as "mighty" as I when I shot a 162 inch whitetail - no different "status" or "elevation", IMO.

Your attitude that you're somehow "above" someone who chooses to harvest a different age class or sex of animal is all in your own head - it doesn't impress me or anyone else.

Moosehunter64
07-15-2011, 12:49 PM
My trophy is the frozen meat in the freezer and my ability to share with my family who can use it.

gunnie2008
07-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Old Pops would say.
You Shoot it you eat it or you get the back of my hand.
To Have the Luck in finding a Trophy animal with a nice rack for the wall. Spark up the BBQ, Medium Rare MMMMMMMMM We're Share' n Enjoy the Meat . OH YA.
100% Meat Hunter. I always tag out too soon. Then Goose hunt.

dino
07-15-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't see anyone "elevated" and I don't see any "status" in hunting. People hunt what they choose to. There's no "status" to be achieved, and there's no raising of oneself above someone who chooses differently. The old guy I saw with his grandkids that shot a 2 point muley on the road was as "mighty" as I when I shot a 162 inch whitetail - no different "status" or "elevation", IMO.

Your attitude that you're somehow "above" someone who chooses to harvest a different age class or sex of animal is all in your own head - it doesn't impress me or anyone else.

Dont you have anything else to do when your supposed to be working instead of posting lame attempts at detering what everyone knows Im asking. Did you get bored of playing solitare again?

Caribou_lou
07-15-2011, 01:26 PM
I drew a tag this year so I will be a little more selective in my archery moose hunt this year. I am putting alot more time in this summer scouting out new hunting spots so hope that will pay off and I will tag out with a big buck early in the season!

gcreek
07-15-2011, 01:31 PM
OK. I meant selective hunting. Being politicly correct is such a drag ,why cant we just say what we mean.

I'm new to this site and have only been reading but I couldn't resist this opener.........

Political Correctness.

Specifically, there is an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term.

This year's term was

"Political Correctness."

The winner wrote:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

This guy has nailed it!

dino
07-15-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm new to this site and have only been reading but I couldn't resist this opener.........

Political Correctness.

Specifically, there is an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term.

This year's term was

"Political Correctness."

The winner wrote:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

This guy has nailed it!

Welcome and great first post.

GoatGuy
07-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Wait until you get my age and it's easy, family all grown up, very few mouths to feed, don't really need the meat, hate packing out an animal, easy to save your back and effort for a bigger mature trophy animal.

Don't you need a license to shoot something? Or are you that old?

Buck
07-15-2011, 03:17 PM
I am more selective with a gun and less selective with my bow.
Less selective when hunting an LEH(will probably never get the draw again)
Less selective when hunting a 1 Buck per season zone (I have to travel a long way to hunt)
More selective early in the trip less at the end(i like the meat)
I purposely hunt big bucks that is my goal but if the freezer is empty i'm an opportunist.

dino
07-15-2011, 03:21 PM

I think he is that old, I saw his S.I.N. card and his number was "1". just kidding 6616 I couldnt resist.

shadow1982
07-15-2011, 04:07 PM
I will be a proud trophy hunter... I just have not connected with any big game yet... so for me a spike deer is a trophy and then i will be a proud trophy hunter

Fisher-Dude
07-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Dont you have anything else to do when your supposed to be working instead of posting lame attempts at detering what everyone knows Im asking. Did you get bored of playing solitare again?

Even I get a lunch break most days. Must be a slow day for you down at Hydro though - shouldn't a union clock-puncher be working during the day?

You gonna chase Dana around again this year, looking for a trophy buck? :lol:

dino
07-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Even I get a lunch break most days. Must be a slow day for you down at Hydro though - shouldn't a union clock-puncher be working during the day?

You gonna chase Dana around again this year, looking for a trophy buck? :lol:
We dont stop for lunch, we work through and get paid OT to do it. I m off on V.O. " Vacation overtime " from all the OT we get all year. Ive been off since april 12th and havent even started my holidays yet. Must suck to be you seeing me get more time off than you and still make way more money. Managers.... you guys just dont get it.

frenchbar
07-15-2011, 06:08 PM
We dont stop for lunch, we work through and get paid OT to do it. I m off on V.O. " Vacation overtime " from all the OT we get all year. Ive been off since april 12th and havent even started my holidays yet. Must suck to be you seeing me get more time off than you and still make way more money. Managers.... you guys just dont get it.

gotta love the v/o.. i know this union slug does lol

ianwuzhere
07-15-2011, 06:49 PM
i think holding off for a trophy animal can be a mental game-especially when watching it for a long time and is a larger than average animal. Every year that passes, i pass up more and more animals in hopes for the largest one ive ever seen to step out... Last year i passed 20+ bucks until the last weeks/days in hunting season to cut my tags...
-this year should be a blast as well...only a few weeks and it starts!!

dino
07-15-2011, 06:58 PM
i think holding off for a trophy animal can be a mental game-especially when watching it for a long time and is a larger than average animal. Every year that passes, i pass up more and more animals in hopes for the largest one ive ever seen to step out... Last year i passed 20+ bucks until the last weeks/days in hunting season to cut my tags...
-this year should be a blast as well...only a few weeks and it starts!!

I hear ya Ian Im kinda in the same boat. I Cant get past the last hurdle and eat tag soup waiting until the last moment trying to get the big one. Its my weakest point and I know I wont succeed unless I am prepared to pass on everything small year after year. I keep hoping for a lucky break.lol

dana
07-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Some people are more prone to be fishermen than they are trophy hunters. ;)

frenchbar
07-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Trophy hunting and the mentality that goes with it is not for everybody.. the weakness in you dino is that you probably find the thrill of the hunt..the way it unfolds in the feild..the chase ect...not the biggest trophys but pretty dam exciting wasn't it ! i know some of my best hunting memories are the trophys i didn't take..... its in us all ...

Timbow
07-15-2011, 07:37 PM

That's good...

dino
07-15-2011, 08:19 PM
were not gonna start this again are we? Besides I caught that fish and found out where you go.LOL. I knew you were lurking here somewhere.

leadpillproductions
07-15-2011, 08:33 PM
I consider myself to be a trophy hunter . I hunt an animal untill i see one the sparks my interest. I use the rule if i see it and it gets me all pumped up its a good one .

Angus
07-15-2011, 09:51 PM
When I hear the term "trophy hunting" I cringe, and picture fat, rich Americans/ Eurotrash coming up here, hiring a guide and going home with the biggest rack/hide they, or their guide, could shoot. The meat then rots in the bush. And it's something that really turned me off hunting for a long time.

Sounds like the posts in this thread are referring to passing on smaller size animals during the season, and then taking the biggest animal they can find before the season closes. Selective harvesting isn't a PC term, it sounds like a completely different ideology than the practice of trophy hunting.

dana
07-16-2011, 07:25 AM
were not gonna start this again are we? Besides I caught that fish and found out where you go.LOL. I knew you were lurking here somewhere.

Ya, I heard you were so rich that you have a big house over looking the ocean and that you could buy off any of my friends to find out where I hunt. LMAO! I fishin we will go, a fishin we will go. High Ho the Merry Oh, a fishin we will go. :)

dana
07-16-2011, 07:33 AM
BTW, It isn't in the 'WHERE WE HUNT', it is instead in the 'HOW WE HUNT' that we find the success that we do. You can Fish all you want, but if you don't have the ability or the gumption to put it all together, you will never see the success you want.

SHAKER
07-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Sounds like the posts in this thread are referring to passing on smaller size animals during the season, and then taking the biggest animal they can find before the season closes. Selective harvesting isn't a PC term, it sounds like a completely different ideology than the practice of trophy hunting.

Nicely said!

I take many people out hunting every year and I love the fact they arn't selective... I prefer it since I usually will bust my balls for my friends to get a nice buck but I have the right of first refusal. I'm not usually look'n for an average buck so the odds are in their favor then if they like'em then put'em in the freezer. The any buck or doe draw guys are great too...... great excuse to cut some fire wood and wack some chickens at the same time in a no stress hunt!

dino
07-18-2011, 11:06 AM
BTW, It isn't in the 'WHERE WE HUNT', it is instead in the 'HOW WE HUNT' that we find the success that we do. You can Fish all you want, but if you don't have the ability or the gumption to put it all together, you will never see the success you want.

Didnt you shoot your trophy you call MTN while you were driving. Your buddy spots him and then you shot him with your buds rifle. I think I have the gumption to do that. Im just missing the lucky part. By the way dont you have a place on the water too, The only difference is I earned mine.

steel_ram
07-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Trophy hunting has more to do with the opportunity to spend lots of time all year in an area, or have connections, or the money to hire those that do, and learn where and when. Know what your after, and holding out for it. Add a sprinkle of luck and there you go. Folks that have a wall full of trophies aren't necessarily blessed with some rare skill. We're chasing what are frankly dumb animals with modern killing equipment (mostly). Any tard putting around on their quad or tromping in the right spot, at the right time, could be a winner!

MillBay
07-18-2011, 12:51 PM
"Any tard putting around on their quad or tromping in the right spot, at the right time, could be a winner! "

You go that right, just read big buck magazine.

dana
07-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Dino,
You are missing the 6 years of pre and post season scouting I put into MnT. Don't forget the days upon days and countless Kms I put in hiking my ass off searching for his sheds. I have 3 sets and 1 single off of him. I have hours of live video footage of him spanning that 6 year period. Do you think my killing him was somehow luck? Do you think I randomly found him on the last day of the season? I knew exactly where to find him. Yup, borrowed a rifle. Hard to convey to someone who has never put so much time and energy into something. I had wounded him 3 1/2 weeks previously. That was 3 1/2 weeks of absolute hell. Not sleeping. Not eating. Chasing elusive tracks through knee deep snow up 50%+ slopes. Physically and emotionally drained to the point of no return. Last day of the season, crawl out of bed, pour a cup of coffee and walk out the door without my rifle. Yup. That sucked. But having a buddy that was willing to give me his rifle when he had a tag in his pocket, now that is the lucky part. Good friends willing to help each other to get the job done, that team work is essential to our success. That is part of the 'how' that we've got figured out.
You talk about gumption yet you say you can't eat your tag? If you only knew the kind of bucks I passed on to acheive my goal of 'MnT'. If you think it is all about score for me you are sadly mistaken. I watched MnT grow up and then regress. He went from a 160 class dink the first year I saw him to a 225 class giant to a 202 inch old warrior. I knew exactly what he was going to score the first time I saw him in 06 and I only watched him for less than 5 mins through the spotter. I called it 200-205 max. Not anything close to what he was in his prime. But the history I had with him, it was him or nothing. That is the 'mental challenge' you have yet to figure out. It ain't about trophy status. It ain't about score. It is about hunting your ass off, pitting your whits against those of a smart old buck on his turf. It's getting your ass handed to ya again and again. Every tag I have eaten has tasted great. There is no 'bad' season because I didn't tag anything. There is always a ton of fun and good memories with family and friends. There is the lasting image of ass and antlers as that buck of a lifetime beat ya fair and square. There is the constant learning as they school ya. That is what the trophy hunter longs for and desires. Cause there is always next year.

And Dino, nope, I don't have a place on the water. Where in the world did you think that. And what makes you think I haven't earned my place??? I don't come from money. Everything I have has come from good ol' fashioned hard work. You saying you can buy my friends off to get info on me shows you don't have a clue what hard work really is. It just makes you sound like that Brad Paisley song, 'So much cooler online' ;)

TheProvider
07-18-2011, 08:08 PM
btw, it isn't in the 'where we hunt', it is instead in the 'how we hunt' that we find the success that we do. You can fish all you want, but if you don't have the ability or the gumption to put it all together, you will never see the success you want.

x2.........

mark
07-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Trophy hunting has more to do with the opportunity to spend lots of time all year in an area, or have connections, or the money to hire those that do, and learn where and when. Know what your after, and holding out for it. Add a sprinkle of luck and there you go. Folks that have a wall full of trophies aren't necessarily blessed with some rare skill. We're chasing what are frankly dumb animals with modern killing equipment (mostly). Any tard putting around on their quad or tromping in the right spot, at the right time, could be a winner!

Your right, any tard putting around on a quad "could" be a winner, like ya say, big buck mag is full of stories like that, as is this site!

But them guys arn't gonna win very often with that strategy!

It takes a passion for the animal, time, dedication, and the strength to pass on nice animals, and continue hunting for the one you feel is a trophy!

MillBay
07-18-2011, 08:49 PM
"Any tard putting around on their quad or tromping in the right spot, at the right time, could be a winner! "

"You got that right, just read big buck magazine."

To clarify my statement, there is absolutly nothing wrong with getting a huge trophy out of luck. You can work your ass off for years and get you biggest buck off the road on the drive out after days of hunting, does that make it wrong, no.

" By the way dont you have a place on the water too, The only difference is I earned mine."

Also no need to attack peoples personal life in this. thats real petty, especially thinking you are the only one that has earned thier own place.

steel_ram
07-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Oh yeah, your gonna need a wife that's going to put up with a husband that obsessed with horns and loves hunting more than her. When you think the do have one, don't be surpised if you come home to a empty house one day.

steel_ram
07-18-2011, 09:36 PM
"Mental Challenge"? not really. "Mentally challenged?", maybe (humour intended). It becomes a very expensive obsession, even known to cost families. But in the end they are just dumb animals doing what they do and living where they live. Patterns that can be learned and predicted.

Jelvis
07-18-2011, 09:39 PM
I saw over 250 mule deer two seasons ago and dint shoot one. Why? I was looking for a bigger buck than I saw, so dint shoot.
I like big bucks and this I can't deny, I go for a young moose for meat, and a huge buck if I get a chance, for the rack and the meat (specialty meats) smokies etc.
Jp .. I like big bucks .. and this I can't deny ..............................................POW!

dino
07-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Dana you shot him while road hunting. As for the place on the water that you have, youve posted many pics of the mountain cabin that sits on a small lake that your wifes grandfather built. Thats what I was referring to, you have called it the familys so I assume its yours . The BS that your trying to sell about me being rich and offering you buddy money to buy your hunting location is pure BS that you have manifested out of your own insecurity's about what people think of you. Your not that great and you dont need to keep telling the same old story about MnT and how great a hunter you are. Here's the PM that your buddy sent me after I posted a comment about Dunster.

You had no good reasons to go pushing Dunster on the forums other than to just try and get me going.

If it was such a good area that you maybe found out about .... you know darned well you wouldn't post it up on the internet if you had intentions to hunt there.

Thats why I posted up what I remembered from your hunts a couple years ago of those areas.

Knew about that Barks area already myself as I posted the coordinates for the trail head into there but other than past posts on Duffy and back side, I didn't tell folks just how good and easy the access really was back there via D'arcy.

Now they know! Doesn't bother me if folks want to go hunt Dunster but if a guy keeps jumping at the chance to say Dunster, he'll just get the same.

I dont need to buy anyone when you guys tell everyone on your own. Get your buddy to post this so called offer. You wont because you cant. You call me a fisherman because I asked you one time 4 years ago for help on hunting the clearwater area because I had heard good things about it and every chance you get get you twist the truth and attack me. I know it must be boring living in a small bum**** town so clinging onto the only thing your good at and repeating it over and over gets old even to the guys that like you. you do need some new material and by the way Im not rich I wish I was.

budismyhorse
07-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Maybe you two should just meet after school at the monkey bars and be done with it.

M.Dean
07-18-2011, 10:16 PM
When you want to kill someone for hunting in "Your" area, it maybe time to hang up the guns you guys!!!

hunter1947
07-19-2011, 02:50 AM
Believe me its very hard not to squeeze the trigger on a average legal deer or elk in order to look for a bigger one last year was my first year to do this it takes a lot of self control not to shoot just any legal animal ,this year will be the same for me except in the bow season..

dino
07-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Maybe you two should just meet after school at the monkey bars and be done with it.

I need my knee caps.
Dana and I may dissagree and try and get under each others skin but I take none of it personal and I dont think he does either, besides its good entertainment

behemoth
07-19-2011, 08:35 AM
I remember the first time I passed on a deer, ran into a spike deep in the trees. I sat down and started watching him when 2 minutes later a 2 point shows up.

Up until that point I had shot every legal deer that entered my crosshairs but I had already filled one tag this year. My second deer was going to be 4 point or better. So I'm watching this 2 point when it seems like he grows another neck because behind him I see more antlers! I wait for what seemed like eternity until the third buck showed his rack to me.... 3 point.

And here I'm sitting there not believing I have 3 legal bucks 40 yards away from me and I dont want to shoot any of them? Man that felt good, it was the realization that I hit the "next level" kind of thing.

Never did connect with another deer that year but I had some memorable stalks and learned some terrain that proved fruitfull in later years

I still shoot the first legal buck I see every year then get real picky. November cant come fast enough!!

dana
07-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Dino,
You can play games with Rams all you want but how did I become a part of it? When you threaten how easy it is to buy info about me and where I hunt (and where did I say you tried to buy info from Rams dumbass?) you began playing a game that you can't win. Hell, I'd encourage all my friends to take your money. It would be hilarious to see the places you would be sent. I've been known to go to great extents to mess with wannabees that want to follow me. :twisted::twisted:
I find it really interesting to watch someone who consistantly asks for help regarding trophy muleys but is unwilling to take any of the info provided for him by the guys who consistantly kill trophy muleys. The old standby is 'It must all be luck'. Any joe can go do it right? Just need lady luck on your side. A question I have is, how many monsters do we need to kill before the 'Luck' card isn't played anymore? Damn, I've been involved in 8 bucks over 190 getting killed in the last 10 years plus a bunch of 170-185 bucks. And you still think it's just luck? And how many big bucks have you been involved in? Have you even ever seen a true monster, I mean a solid 190-200 incher? I have given you more info to help ya out than most on this site and yet you keep coming back and saying I don't know what I'm doing. Why do ya keep on asking then? You should get together with Aguacher (aka Woodox) and you two can cry on eachother's shoulders. Dana is so mean. He won't give me a map with an arrow on it pointing to a 200 incher.
I have always said, there are players and there are wannabes. It's about time you stop being a wannabe and start being a player. You want to kill a trophy muley then suck it up, do your homework, put the leg work in and buckle down and get er done. Everything I have said on here about killing a monster isn't rocket science. Go to Monster Muleys.com. Watch Muley Crazy dvd's. How do the people who consistantly find and kill big muleys do it? There is a ton of Hard Work, Sheer Determination and Team Work that goes into this passion. Like I have said before, if you think you are lucky and can win big everytime you go to Vegas, continue to do what you are doing. Every dog has his day. Maybe just maybe you might find that golden horseshoe and jam it up where the sun don't shine and a 200 incher will find you. But if you are anything like me, Luck never shines. I can't even win a $1 on a scratch and win or a free cup of coffee when I roll up the rim. For me, I have to work my ass off to get what I have. And my mule deer hunting is exactly that. 200 inch bucks don't just fall out of the sky for me. Trophy muleys is my passion. That is where the rubber meets the road. When you are willing to make it your passion rather than just some wannabe dream, then you will start seeing things change.

dana
07-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Dino,
As for your comments about the cabin my wife's great grandfather built, it is in Family Trust. That means the childern, grandchildern, great grandchildern and great great grandchildern all can use it. A great family heritage has been enjoyed by generations in the past and will be enjoyed by generations in the future. Not exactly what you would call mine and something I didn't earn now is it? Red Foreman's 'dumbass' comments on That 70's Show or Oscar's 'jackass' comments on Corner Gas come to mind regarding your comments on this thread. ;)

MillBay
07-19-2011, 08:41 PM
it started out with one big ego

"elevated your status to this level "

then went to 2, and when you though they couldn't get any bigger, they kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger, and never listening to the average hunter like they are some sort of pee-on.

07-19-2011, 08:48 PM

Haha.....license for $5.00 ......!!!!

dino
07-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Dana this is my last post on this thread, I think your BS has run its course. I think that your little man syndrome thing is acting up again Always being confrontational like you are is a weakness you really need to get thicker skin. You remind me of a pesky bee that gets into your cab when your driving, you roll down a window but you just wont go away.
I know you always have to get the last word and this site is your only link to the outside world so fly at'er.

dana
07-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Dino,
What was the point of this thread again and who was the one that started it? A fishin you went and now you don't like what you caught. :) Maybe you should give up on askin advice on how to kill trophy deer and take up askin about how to knit your grandmother a sweater.

Jelvis
07-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Hey you guys, dino spelled (challenge) wrong and dana spelled (their) wrong. lol.
You both spelled incorrectly lol .. so your both not purrfect yet lol .. close tho ..
JP .. your both excellent hunters anyways so keep hunting as usual ...
..... The deer are still out there, small, medium, big, and holy cow, it's a monster!

dryflyguy57
07-19-2011, 10:00 PM
jelvis you are in top form . Great post but you have to use capitals for the first letter of any name .

dana
07-19-2011, 10:08 PM

How's that mental part going for ya now Dino? :) :) Have you elevated your status or are you about ready to give up yet? Wannabe or Player?

leadpillproductions
07-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Wow did this thread go to $hit!

Angus
07-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Started out pretty good, but then descended into a slap and tickle fight.

I love the internet: faceless, nameless, ....harmless.

07-19-2011, 11:51 PM
When I hear the term "trophy hunting" I cringe, and picture fat, rich Americans/ Eurotrash coming up here, hiring a guide and going home with the biggest rack/hide they, or their guide, could shoot. The meat then rots in the bush. And it's something that really turned me off hunting for a long time..

I'm pretty certain this depiction of trophy hunters, even foreign guided trophy hunters, is away off base in the modern world but is the picture anti-hunters still paint for their own devious purposes. This practice is illegal (leaving meat in the bush) and I think it's pretty safe to say this hasn't happened to any serious extent for nearly a century now. This is unfortunatelly an undeserved stigma of trophy hunting that lingers on in a few peoples minds even today....!

M.Dean
07-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Wow did this thread go to $hit! Can't agree more! It's quite clear to me now after reading some of these comments, I'm just not good enough to shoot a record book buck!!! And, for any of you guys that do think your going to wack a big buck this fall, get a life!!! There's only a very select few on here that shoot 200 class Mule Deer EVERY year, and it sure as Hell isn't me or you! So, after reading this self centered, I'm the Best, There's no one as good as me, you might as well give up, people pay to find where I hunt, little big man comments, I hope all you hopeless hunters do the same as me this year, and just give up hunting Big Bucks! But, now that we know were all losers, and not worthy of even stepping foot in the bush after a Big Buck, it'll give us more time this fall to water the lawn and get those dam gutters cleaned out!

bcmulie
07-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Can't agree more! It's quite clear to me now after reading some of these comments, I'm just not good enough to shoot a record book buck!!! And, for any of you guys that do think your going to wack a big buck this fall, get a life!!! There's only a very select few on here that shoot 200 class Mule Deer EVERY year, and it sure as Hell isn't me or you! So, after reading this self centered, I'm the Best, There's no one as good as me, you might as well give up, people pay to find where I hunt, little big man comments, I hope all you hopeless hunters do the same as me this year, and just give up hunting Big Bucks! But, now that we know were all losers, and not worthy of even stepping foot in the bush after a Big Buck, it'll give us more time this fall to water the lawn and get those dam gutters cleaned out!

Best post on this thread. Although, I'm feeling so inadequate and depressed now that I'm going to have to give up hunting and take up knitting...

bcmulie

Weatherby Fan
07-20-2011, 09:45 AM
M.Dean And bcmulie,
no worries boy's I've got a cabin on a lake in area 3 where you can chase 200 inchers around every morning and still do some knitting in the evening !
WF

David Heitsman
07-20-2011, 10:36 AM
I think trophy hunting is having fistful of tags, hunting almost non-stop for three months in three countries and still having a fistful of uncanceled tags. Of course yesterday I just picked up another fistful of tags, airline tickets etc...
Hopefuly get to cancel a couple this year but won't cry if I don't. If you really truly need inexpensive meat for your family, go to Costco.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-20-2011, 10:41 AM
If you really truly need inexpensive meat for your family, go to Costco.

Hmmmmm.....don't recall seeing moose, elk, bear or any of the other critters that I buy tags for in the meat department at Costco:confused:. Maybe I missed it in the freezer section??

SSS

Jelvis
07-20-2011, 11:28 AM
I think David hit it right, if your going for the red meat and don't care about whether it's game or domestic, it's way more economical buying it on sale in a store.
But if it's organic you need, go hunting for anything valid in gos or leh.
If it's a trophy size your after you might have to pass on some critters until you get a good chance at a trophy size one.
It's all about being a good sport and enjoying your opportunity hunting in beautiful B.C.
Jel .. Have fun or go home ..

07-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Dana, Where can i find a Book mulie?

M. Dean,
If i ever run into you i need let me know and i'll buy the beer,,, Or the coffee. I'll be the guy laughin'

But in sake of the point of this thread, I find no upper or lower class in trophy hunting or fly fishing. It is a personal choice for the hunter. Anybody can be an arrogant ass ( Coment is not directed to anyone here, Im just sayin' ) Meat hunters can be an ass just as a trophy hunter can.
I think Trophy hunting is great if you can do it, just because you arent shooting as many animals as the next guy. Me i cant trophy hunt just because i have issues with passing on legal critters :mrgreen:

Just hunt for you and why you choose to hunt. Learn as much as you can and get better at it.
what you hunt and why has not bearing to me except for me to learn. Im pretty good at what i do, Good enough to like doin it.

If you have the controle to trophy hunt good for you, have fun doin it. Thats why we hunt, i just choose to do a bit more killing :mrgreen:

proguide66
07-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Hunting is fun,FUN FUN FUN...cant be any more er less. It aint gonna make it longer ( Ive tried everything) , and sadly our subculture will always host a few who feel hunting is a competition with other guys or its their going to get themselves walking on water er something.....
I'm not so sure the term 'trophyhunting' can really be used anymore as I have now seen firsthand 'checkllist hunters' from big clubs who arent passionate about the species they are hunting as much as they are passionate about checking a species off on their list( each their own).
'Selective' hunting might be a good term for it now? Most resident BC guys are passionate about lots of species we have here. Some guys ( like me) cant stand to be tagged out anytime too soon before the season end and love to hold out for a big old bugger and have a riot getting out looking as much as possible.
Funny , I know guy up north who guided close to 200 rams over they years and called himself a 'Legend'...well , after 'how' many years of shooting large rams and being a 'legend' hes still a miserable little ******* with 2.5 freinds and 99% of the guys on here will never have heard his name.........so........this well represents what years of killing big shit does for a guy---in the end , NOT MUCH ( if getting stroked is what motivates you anyway).
Imagine the rude awakening it must be for some who 'try' to climb that damned 'hunting ladder' that leads to nowhere all their life then realise there was no top rung after all.:-?
Its all FUN...and the animal parts we save and throw on the wall are only 'albums' in a way as all they do is remind us of the hunt each time we look at em.Maybe one day EVERYONE will eagerly share tips and knowledge to all and spread the FUN!!!:-D

bcmulie
07-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Hey Weatherby Fan, I've also got a cabin on a lake in area 3. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a 200 incher there...although you can find me out on the deck knitting in the evening...

To the original topic, there is a huge mental element to selective (trophy) hunting - knowing how to judge a trophy animal, having the patience to pass on smaller animals (that's the hardest part!) and having the fortitude to keep at it day after day. I am at a point where I'm selective about what I shoot, the extent of my selectivity depending on the particular animal I'm hunting (moose and whitetails - not so selective; muleys - selective), how much meat I have in the freezer, and how close to the end of my hunt I am.

I agree with 835 - deciding the extent to which you will be a trophy hunter is a very personal decision, which in my view no one else has any right to question.

Good luck to all you trophy and non-trophy hunters this season!

bcmulie

Salty
07-20-2011, 01:35 PM
So just how does one go about becomming a mentally challenged trophy hunter? LMAO..

Yup, some interesting comments here all right. I like proguide's take on all this, and I'd encourage young and new hunters trying to make sence of this and learn about hunting to re read his post. That to me is what hunting is all about.

But there is a lot of ego in the world. Some think they are "players" while the rest of us mear mortals are wannabes. Tell you what I'd much rather spend a day driving around looking for spikes with someone who is there for the FUN, the experience and all the rest of it than hike the hills or otherwise spend any time with self proclaimed 'players'. This year I will return to several spots high in the hills late season trying for a poke at one of a few really impressive blacktails that I had patterned last year. If I find them, cool and if I don't I couldn't give a rat's ass I'll find more and better spots. And before that I'll probably shoot a dink for the freezer. But I'll have a grin on the whole time - you can take tha'n to the bank. :mrgreen:

steel_ram
07-20-2011, 01:49 PM
The "Players", eventually find themselves old and alone. Their obsession haven driven away friends and family, with only a bunch of moth eaten trophies on the wall, which were apparently worth it. I'm sure I'm not the only guy that's seen a few.
Most of us mortals are lucky if we can devote two weeks a year in pursuit of our game, but if by luck (or awesomenessl) we happen to pull a trophy out from under one of the "gods", all the sweeter.

338 winmag
07-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Any trophy class knitters here? I mean can you do a pair of socks in one hour? Your needles are a kevlar light weight German variety so you can knit all day and not get fatigued. When you take the wife to a movie, you pack your Dyneema custom made knitting bag and spin a toque before the movie starts? Well do you have what it takes, day in day out? I bet most of you guys just go down and buy your merino socks from Bass Pro or Whole Sale. Dedication boys, that's where it's at.:mrgreen:

Weatherby Fan
07-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Any trophy class knitters here? I mean can you do a pair of socks in one hour? Your needles are a kevlar light weight German variety so you can knit all day and not get fatigued. When you take the wife to a movie, you pack your Dyneema custom made knitting bag and spin a toque before the movie starts? Well do you have what it takes, day in day out? I bet most of you guys just go down and buy your merino socks from Bass Pro or Whole Sale. Dedication boys, that's where it's at.:mrgreen:

That there is dam funny !

Jelvis
07-20-2011, 02:42 PM
If you want a chance for a 200 incher look in the BC record books where the most have been shot.
Jel K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stoooopid

gunnie2008
07-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Attention HBC'ers
Today as I drove along the hydraulic road next to the Quesnel river 5-2.
I Saw a herd of Bucks in thick velvet n wide branched all 4 point.
8 Big Boy's. Left me speech less with Buck Fever, digital camera a mire 2 feet away. ( some be Over 200 maybe even 250 by opening day ) heading past the Big wash out next to private property. on Crown land .
Hydraulic road ends in private property, Old Quesnel Outfitters.

I'm going to try for one this season now that "I'm in the mental challenge".
l'll be tossing n turning every night till opening day!.

Hey one's mine OK! At least leave me one, lol.
you can have the other 7.

Jelvis
07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Don't get too high up for the challenge, then you over did yourself, be right on the button and with the effort you put in plus the time out on the wild ridges where the bucks are will produce.
Jel .. One of the top ten muley hunters in Kamloops told me this one day,
Jel .. You got to be hunting to see a big buck, so the more your out there the more chances you have to see Mr. Big.
Remember, You heard it here first!

gwillim
07-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Hey you guys, dino spelled (challenge) wrong and dana spelled (their) wrong. lol.
You both spelled incorrectly lol .. so your both not purrfect yet lol .. close tho ..
JP .. your both excellent hunters anyways so keep hunting as usual ...
..... The deer are still out there, small, medium, big, and holy cow, it's a monster!

Once again, thank god (or is it God) for Jelvis!

Salty
07-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Maybe I'll be a player in my next life :icon_frow

dana
07-20-2011, 07:29 PM
The "Players", eventually find themselves old and alone. Their obsession haven driven away friends and family, with only a bunch of moth eaten trophies on the wall, which were apparently worth it. I'm sure I'm not the only guy that's seen a few.
Most of us mortals are lucky if we can devote two weeks a year in pursuit of our game, but if by luck (or awesomenessl) we happen to pull a trophy out from under one of the "gods", all the sweeter.

Then there are the players that have built a lifetime of memories with family and friends doing what they love in pursuit of their passion. When they are in their twilight years and they can't physically climb those mountains any more, they sit in their rocking chairs and tell their grandchildern and great grandchildern all the adventures they had when they were younger. And when they die, there is a big ol' smile on their face. :)

fireguy
07-20-2011, 08:27 PM
I smile telling the stories already and I'm not old enough to sit in my rocking chair. Hopefully I have many more tales to tell.

dana
07-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Yup, I'm smiling just reading this thread. :)

Caribou_lou
07-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Lots of talk of the elusive 200 inch Mulies!

I'll tell you what... I'll be doing the best touchdown dance you'll ever see if I connect on a 180 buck.

Weatherby Fan
07-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Lots of talk of the elusive 200 inch Mulies!

I'll tell you what... I'll be doing the best touchdown dance you'll ever see if I connect on a 180 buck.

LMAO now you've gone and spoiled a good thread with reality !
I've been practicing that same dance for years !

dana
07-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Hell, everyone knows 200 inchers are a dime a dozen in Clearwater. Just ask Jelly, he'll tell ya so. But then again, maybe Dino has payed for all the good info Jellystoned has. ;)

Jelvis
07-20-2011, 10:04 PM
I saw one 200 incher at the kxa trophy show that was taken it said near Kamloops Lake.
So I saw it stuffed and it was impressive. 200 + @ that show.
But it was a typical and that is big.
Non-typical is another story.
Jel .. This year up here with all the feed from the massive rain fall we had so far mixed with sunshine will help to create some huge racks.
Could be the year of trophy bucks in region 3.

mark
07-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Can't agree more! It's quite clear to me now after reading some of these comments, I'm just not good enough to shoot a record book buck!!! And, for any of you guys that do think your going to wack a big buck this fall, get a life!!! There's only a very select few on here that shoot 200 class Mule Deer EVERY year, and it sure as Hell isn't me or you! So, after reading this self centered, I'm the Best, There's no one as good as me, you might as well give up, people pay to find where I hunt, little big man comments, I hope all you hopeless hunters do the same as me this year, and just give up hunting Big Bucks! But, now that we know were all losers, and not worthy of even stepping foot in the bush after a Big Buck, it'll give us more time this fall to water the lawn and get those dam gutters cleaned out!

Stop by my house, it'll need some maintenance as well, cuz I'll be out hunting for a big buck!

Best post on this thread. Although, I'm feeling so inadequate and depressed now that I'm going to have to give up hunting and take up knitting...

bcmulie

Put me down for a toque and scarf, its gonna be cold in december!

fireguy
07-20-2011, 10:11 PM
The problem is that once you get the bug, you always want and strive to connect with something larger. I took a 49 7/8 goat, my first, a 24 1/8 grizzly, my first, 38 inch stone sheep, my first, very nice california ram, first, and a pretty nice mulie last year with my crossbow, first with crossbow. I have been looking to get better of each, and will try for a larger mulie with my crossbow this year. I have taken a few goats, 9 inch plus over the years, havent had a chance for a grizz since, a beauty 7 1/2 ft black bear on van island (didn't even score it), and many deer, moose, ect. over the years. The bottom line is, I love the hunt, love getting trophies, and always strive to take the best animal I can, being in the right spot at the right time, doing your homework, and not being afraid to work for an animal will probably result in memorable hunts, trophies taken and many stories to be told from the rocking chair in years to come.
Going to the places that the average joe hunter wouldn't dream of going helps as well.
Two of the most memorable hunts I have been on I ate tag soup on, but how many guys here have backpack hunted stone sheep 35km in to your camp and spent a week without seeing a soul, nothing but sheep, caribou, goats, and the bears to keep you company.
I guess I am a trophy hunter, I consider the memories the best trophies of them all.
I can see where Dana is coming from as well, scouting the one deer for years, waiting for the right time to hunt him is all part of the thrill, making it all that more special.

GoatGuy
07-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Hopefuly get to cancel a couple this year but won't cry if I don't.

Nice to hear you're turning over a new leaf.

GoatGuy
07-21-2011, 11:24 AM
These are always the best threads because everyone is motivated differently and a lot of people miss the point.

Personally, I believe being selective on the species/age is a challenge between the hunter and mother nature. All species have different challenges associated with them, often the least of which is the animal itself, but more the habitat they live in and the physical and mental struggles the hunter experiences in his pursuit.

Usually the hunt is the most memorable part of any experience and the kill is secondary. The most memorable hunts are usually the ones where the hunter experiences the unforgiving nature of the outdoors experience, not the inches on the wall.

If I'm pursuing an experience and looking for a certain animal, it's my choice. If I want to shoot a big ram, buck, bull it's my choice to get up earlier, hike farther, hunt harder - sometimes that takes an entire lifetime of hunting to find the animal and experience you're pursuing. I don't believe my concept on what I want to shoot should become mandatory for everyone and I don't believe others opportunity should be limited for what I want.

If my buddies are looking for something else than all the power to them and I'll do whatever it takes to help them get their critter. If a buddy wants to shoot a 180 buck that I don't want to shoot I'll do everything I can to help them but that buck down.

I think where people go wrong is they are motivated to shoot something bigger than everyone else's. That's where you get fenced hunts, lottery draws, trophy fees for certain size animals etc. Those hunters competition isn't with mother nature, it's with other hunters who might not have the financial resources to 'tour the world' or buy the tag. How being able to buy a tag that someone else can't get access to makes a person a better hunter is beyond me.

The 'challenge' associated with pouring your guts out to get to the next mountain top, valley, drainage just isn't there if you walk out to the back 40 and poke a hole in the cattle with antlers. I don't understand how a hunter who shoots a 200" ram on winter range, with a tag they paid $150,000 for feels they are somehow a better hunter than the rest and that attitude is pervasive amongst some of the so-called 'trophy community'. Certainly not all hunters who buy these tags are 'checklist' hunters but some of them are and I think this is where the fracture and distaste comes amongst the hunting community and non-hunting public.

When people talk about the 'mental challenge' of not shooting a buck they've kind of missed the point - the 'mental challenge' is shooting the buck you're looking for. If you're looking for a certain animal, that's what you choose to shoot. It's not hard to pass up a 180 muley if you're really looking for a 200. What's hard is getting out of bed everyday a couple hours before day break, hunting as hard as you can until you find 'the one'. If a guy shoots a 170 buck it isn't because of the 'mental challenge', it's because he was really looking for a 170 buck and hoping for a 200 --- whether he wants to bs his buddies/acquaintances about it or not.

Think you'll find the guys who really challenge themselves (mentally if you want) are not the guys looking to take hunting opportunities away from everybody else, it's the guys who are 'competing' with themselves and mother nature. There are plenty of guys who have shot huge bucks, bulls and rams sitting in their sheds because it wasn't the experience they were looking for or the hunt wasn't as memorable. I think those are the guys who 'get it'.

frenchbar
07-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Good stuff GG!!!

dana
07-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Hunting is no different from any other sport. There are many who just like to play in the beer league and then there's those that are more serious about their sport and play at higher levels, some even pro. The beer league player normally doesn't work out and doesn't have to be in top physical shape to play. The more serious are athletic, train both physically and mentally and practice their sport constantly to make them better in their sport. They are constantly learning, researching and observing. They have learned from the top of the sport both now and in the past. They learn what works and what doesn't, but are always open to new ideas. They eat breath and sleep their passion. To those on the outside looking in, they are obsessed. To those on the inside, they are just doing what they long to do, pursue their dreams.
There are many that think trophy hunting is all about score and egos. I suppose for a small group, this might be true. But most trophy hunters are doing what they love and have put everything into their passion, big critters. It is no secret that most big critters get big by being old. In order to get old, they have to evade countless predators that share their home turf, be it lions, wolves, bears, eagles, wolverines, coyotes or human hunters. They also have to endure life in a harsh and cruel environment, especially during the winter. They have grown old by being smart. Hunting big ol' mature critters on their home turf is quite the formidable challenge. It is the classic man versus nature as GG said. Pitting your whits against those of a old buck, ram, or bull is what trophy hunters desire. 99% of the time, the critter wins and the hunter looses. But everytime they loose, they learn from it and try try again. It is indeed a mental challenge, because most hunters give up when things get tuff. A real trophy hunter likes things tough because that makes the challenge even more gratifying when successful. Not unlike a underdog team that digs deep and pulls out a winning victory. The memories are way more sweeter when it's hard instead of when it's easy.

MillBay
07-21-2011, 08:36 PM
"There are many who just like to play in the beer league and then there's those that are more serious about their sport "

Again the ego's just don't stop. So what is the rich german who's buys his way into BC and nails trophy after trophy, beer league or pro? I think I'm going to have to shovel my way out of this thread.

fireguy
07-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Well put Dana

dana
07-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Millbay,
Many a rich man that does just that are not trophy hunters. The guides are. He's just a shooter. The guides are the pros if they are indeed getting their clients on big critters consistantly. For many a rich man, they are just a wannabe! No different than belonging to the top golf clubs due to wealth but being lousy at golf and never learning from the pros that work at that club.

When you use ego, you are actually misintrepting the message. Don't confuse 'Ego' with 'Confidence'. There are many that are good at their prefered sports. They are good due to natural talent, top-notch instruction and from the blood, sweat and tears of hard work they have put into practicing their sport. If you are a beer leaguer that sits on the sidelines and critizes those who actually are good, it normally means you are also a 'wannabe'. ;)

MillBay
07-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Dana

The problem with most of your statements such as the last one is there is not a lot of grey area. You already classified me as a beer leaguer and you don't know me. No different than me thinking you have a huge ego. Oh and there is a HUGE difference between Ego and Confidence don't fool yourself. Confidence is not having to yell and scream to defend yourself. Maybe re-read the whole thread.

Jelvis
07-21-2011, 09:22 PM
If you were the only person on earth and there was no one to impress but thyself, what then?
lol.
Jel .. No one to compare with, no one to show what animal you got, what then?
I don't think it would matter much eh lol. We all like to perform and show off lol.
Nothing wrong with some competition for fun. Some get real serious about getting a bigger one. lol.
Hunters still luv show an tell.

dana
07-21-2011, 09:25 PM
When did I call you a beer leaguer? Maybe you need to re-read the whole thread. If you think I'm yelling and screaming, you really don't have a clue about who I am. I've actually been laughing my a$$ off when reading and typing on this thread. U have to realize, this is the internet and there are guys who like to poke the stick and stir the $hit because it has been freakin boring on this site as of late. Besides, after being in the pouring rain all day every day for several months, it allows me to just unwind. ;)

Weatherby Fan
07-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Great Post Goat Guy

everybody is driven in their own manner no sence slagging someone who can only get out for a weekend or two a year as they may be as passionate about hunting as the next guy but cant put the time in,I hunt a fair bit and really enjoy the time hunting with my family and I have a passion for Mule Deer second to none,the last few years my brother and I have spent more time teaching our kids than hunting ourselves,nothing like seeing the smile on your son or nephew when they shoot a deer or elk.
Some people that don't get it are guy's like Kirt Darner of the US he had 13 Mule deer in the B&C Record Book more than anyone ever,he had written two books on how to hunt Trophy Mule Deer and I had them both only to find out he had poached most of them out of season or bought them,all of his entries have been removed.That guy was driven by numbers and status of having his name in a book.

I had the pleasure of meeting an old fellow about 27 yrs ago in Clearwater while hunting there,this guy had more B.C. record book Mule Deer than anyone I know and would have had the #1 Typical Mule Deer in BC if the mount hadn't burnt in a fire,he never mentioned what they scored only talked about how he hunted them and loved to sneek up on them in their beds,he had a passion for huge Mule Deer but let his actions do the talking not his mouth.

WF

MillBay
07-21-2011, 09:33 PM
"U have to realize, this is the internet and there are guys who like to poke the stick and stir the $hit because it has been freakin boring on this site as of late."

Dana that point I agree with. I guess sometimes we all make a little bit of our own entertainment on here, if we didn't there wouldn't be this site. Now i'll go back to my beer. ;)

dana
07-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Weatherby, how did you know this guy that you met in Clearwater had more BC Record Book Deer than anyone and had the #1 typical? Did he show you or did he tell you? If he showed ya, then he was probably just like anyone else, enjoyed sharing his trophies. He he told ya, then he was probably just like anyone else, bragging about his trophies. Why can people not see they are no different. How many people share their success pics and stories here on HBC? Pretty much everyone except for the lurkers. But in many HBC member's eyes, when I share I am a BRAGART and a EGO MANIAC. Why do you look at my pics any different than anyone else on this site?

fireguy
07-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Some people sure take things in a funny way.
I play beer league ball, I like playing, I'm not bad but not great at it, I just like doing it and have fun no matter what the outcome, win or lose. If ball was my passion, I would be out practicing whenever I could, working on my technique, trying new tricks and asking others for advice on how I could become a better ball player.
Like I said ball isn't my passion, hunting is...

CanuckShooter
07-21-2011, 10:35 PM
When did I call you a beer leaguer? Maybe you need to re-read the whole thread. If you think I'm yelling and screaming, you really don't have a clue about who I am. I've actually been laughing my a$$ off when reading and typing on this thread. U have to realize, this is the internet and there are guys who like to poke the stick and stir the $hit because it has been freakin boring on this site as of late. Besides, after being in the pouring rain all day every day for several months, it allows me to just unwind. ;)

So what's your favourite colour?? I bet you like white.....like snow in mulie country?

Weatherby Fan
07-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Weatherby, how did you know this guy that you met in Clearwater had more BC Record Book Deer than anyone and had the #1 typical? Did he show you or did he tell you? If he showed ya, then he was probably just like anyone else, enjoyed sharing his trophies. He he told ya, then he was probably just like anyone else, bragging about his trophies. Why can people not see they are no different. How many people share their success pics and stories here on HBC? Pretty much everyone except for the lurkers. But in many HBC member's eyes, when I share I am a BRAGART and a EGO MANIAC. Why do you look at my pics any different than anyone else on this site?

Hey Dana,
yes we seen and scored it,and I did say more BC record book bucks than anyone I KNOW,for all I know you could have more in your basement.
It wasn't about a book or scoring for him he was a Mule Deer enthusiast and it showed.He had a passion for sneeking up on big Mule Deer while bedded,and apparently thats where he shot most of them.It was his brother that told us about all the deer he shot,not him he was vey quiet and only talked about it when asked.

Well I don't think your a Bragart or a Ego Maniac,I think your a Mule Deer fanatic through and through and thoroughly enjoy most of your posts and all of your pictures which are exceptional.Hell I even went out and bought the same camera you use after seeing your photos as I was amazed at the clarity of your pictures,so be careful how you judge people you don't know.

dana
07-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Weatherby,
The only people on this site that I judge are the people that send me pm after pm looking for info on where and how I hunt and then after I help these people, they come on here and say I don't know what I am doing and I am only successful because of dumb luck. That, in my opinion, is the ultimate wannabe. And yup, dino fits into that catagory. :twisted:

mark
07-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Weatherby,
The only people on this site that I judge are the people that send me pm after pm looking for info on where and how I hunt and then after I help these people, they come on here and say I don't know what I am doing and I am only successful because of dumb luck. That, in my opinion, is the ultimate wannabe. And yup, dino fits into that catagory. :twisted:

This is funny, cuz Dino kinda did the same thing with me in the past! LOL
Good luck internet hunting Dino!

Weatherby Fan
07-22-2011, 06:27 PM
lmao you seem pretty consistent in your success for lucky dumb guy,it`s amazing how far off track some of these threads go.
Either way it seems like its going to be a good year for Trophy Mule Deer hunting.
You better send dino a pm and help him with the topic of his post :mrgreen:

leadpillproductions
07-22-2011, 06:36 PM
To me there is something to it when a guy can get a nice buck or bull year in year out . There is more to it than just luck. You have to put your time into the animal . For me i know moose very well in my area , its not hard for me to shoot a 50 inch bull 5 years in a row not to much to it , knowing area when there in there and where they are if they not . Deer are not different . Elk thats a whole different story.

Lillypuff
07-22-2011, 06:43 PM
This is kinda funny I am laughing non stop. If you want something bad enough you just have to work at it. Not follow someone around. Maybe Mark and Dana are Dinos idles.

Spy
07-22-2011, 08:29 PM
This is kinda funny I am laughing non stop. If you want something bad enough you just have to work at it. Not follow someone around. Maybe Mark and Dana are Dinos idles.

I think its more like STALKER!LOL:-D
I stumbled on HBC because of my quest to learn as much about Mulies as possible, after my first Mulie hunt!It was one of Dana's post that got me started! Every thread of Dana's that I have read has being informative & all the bucks he has shot have taken allot of hard work to harvest!I think the same can be said about marks bucks!There is a reason they get "Lucky"!I have allot of respect for people who work hard to succeed! Dino your attacks on some of the members in this thread were uncalled for & childish I don't blame you for abandoning your own thread!

Thanks Dana,Mark,Proguide & all the other great hunters on this forum for teaching us, LOL "wanabees" all the tricks/secrets that have taken you years of hard work to master!:-D

Thanks
Spy:-D

dana
07-23-2011, 07:50 AM
This isn't the first thread of dino's where he has abandoned it because he has fallen under the bus. :) You would think he would learn and just start from scratch by signing up under a new screen name. That is what another wannabe did, aka Woodox aka Aguacher, aka someone new that I haven't bothered to figure out yet.:mrgreen: At the bare min, dino should follow likes Jelvis and say that someone else was using his log in, maybe his brother or cuz. :twisted:

Jelvis
07-23-2011, 08:41 AM
It takes effort + time to be a suck sess for just about anything a person wants to do.
.. Getting out into the buck brush many times a season and spending time out there.
.. reading stories others have written about how to be a good hunter.
.. it takes desire, desire to get a nice buck
.. a person needs to recognize big buck habitat when they see it
.. it's like any sport requiring knowledge and skill like mma or kick boxing
How bad to you want to win? How bad can you taste it? You feel it in your gut.
You want to rip that guy apart so bad your muscles are tight, your gut is ripped.
Your jaws are tight and your teeth grind together your eyes are focused on the target
Then you move forward hands up, moving side to side, not bobbing but weaving
Every muscle that you've been training hour after hour, day after day, month after month, year after year, decade after decade.
The hills you climbed, the road work, the blood, the sweat and the beers you've spilled
All the studying, the lessons the heavy bags the weight training.
It all comes together when you see the prey and have him in your sights and then
.. there's a time to turn it on
Jelly ( Your Worst Nightmare ) Bo dell ee.

Weatherby Fan
07-23-2011, 11:08 AM
I think its more like STALKER!LOL:-D
I stumbled on HBC because of my quest to learn as much about Mulies as possible, after my first Mulie hunt!It was one of Dana's post that got me started! Every thread of Dana's that I have read has being informative & all the bucks he has shot have taken allot of hard work to harvest!I think the same can be said about marks bucks!There is a reason they get "Lucky"!I have allot of respect for people who work hard to succeed! Dino your attacks on some of the members in this thread were uncalled for & childish I don't blame you for abandoning your own thread!

Thanks Dana,Mark,Proguide & all the other great hunters on this forum for teaching us, LOL "wanabees" all the tricks/secrets that have taken you years of hard work to master!:-D

Thanks
Spy:-D

Hey Spy
nice to see you appreciate the informaion passed along from years of hard work and dedication from so many HBCers,if there's anything I learned about hunting and hunting big Mule Deer your success rate goes up with good advice and hard work something dana preaches in most every post on the topic,and you will never quit learning,I always keep an open mind as you can always learn something from everyone,you have to apply the advice given,work hard and good things will follow.

Ive been backpack hunting for mule deer for 25yrs or so and have learned tons about gear on HBC in the last year ,Devilbear,bigwhiteys,slee,todbartel and tons of other guys on here are a constant source of info and I also would like pass along my thanks for all the HBCers that share info as I think sometimes it seems to go unappreciated.

WF

Jelvis
07-23-2011, 12:20 PM
My brah Rocko was heard saying, "These ones right here, pointing at the screen, are mine."
Rocko mumbled under his breath, ("day done have no brain to challenge") Rocko.
Ok rock, look rock dint type on this key bored he was always excited about hunting.
Jelly bean here hey, rock left thank heaven, he's too much energy for this kid Rock.
I'm goin to beat yah like I'm never going to see you again,... POW! i rockubad .. Jock
He's bluffing like a grizz bluffs yah, all show and no finish rushes yah stands up tall
and growlz.
then high tails it for the thick stuff. i'll delete this part b4 he sees it tho lol.