PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Method of Carry

BCBRAD
07-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Where do like to carry your rifle on your quad, gunboots front, back ? Up on the handle bars ? what works best for you?

LYKTOHUNT
07-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Gun boot on the side

Bromley
07-14-2011, 01:16 PM
now this is a good thread BCBRAD! I personally cant decide, I am trying the Kolpin front rack "U" holders this season, then I will make a decision!

Torch
07-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I have the cross quad front (U) holders...first year and I hope i like em...

BiG Boar
07-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Front rack U holders. The side boot is bunk. You have to move like a ninja to get it out in time and have a shot, I took mine right off.

barry1974w
07-14-2011, 01:31 PM
I rarely hunt from an ATV, but I've always liked the gun boots. You supposed to get off the bike and load the gun before you shoot anyway (not to mention the only legal game I've seen from an ATV are ditch chickens anyway), it all takes time. And when I'm in the truck and stop to chat with guys on quads it always makes me nervous to have a rifle pointed at me through the door, I know they're not supposed to be loaded, but once in a while you can see that the rifles safety is on. I know that doesn't really mean anything either, but I know that I don't carry empty guns with the safety on....

huntcoop
07-14-2011, 02:04 PM
I have the gun boot and the u-grips for the front rack. I usually have the gun in the boot with the cover un-attached. I find it easier to get the gun out of the boot than trying to "pinch" open both the u-grip claws.

moose2
07-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I have it mounted to the front rack pointing strait forward. It can cause a little trouble in deep ditch crossings or in tight timber. So I have it set up for quick detatch with 2 wingnuts. I like it here in case I roll over it is fairly safe , and access is really quick if you need to jump off and grab it. I don't like having my rifle sticking up in any way. I had a brand new Browning 300 wm wood safari grade stock break in half on a simple roll over one time. So now I have a different rifle and a different mounting method.
Mike
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/sheep_hunt_042.jpg

Livewire322
07-14-2011, 06:30 PM
i keep my high cal rifle either .303, .270, SKS, 7mm RM in the U rack on the front of my quad, and my ruger 10/22 on my back with a sling for fast grouse elimination.

lunatic
07-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Both! Gun boot for the ride in/out in muddy/snowy weather and handlebar u-grips for when it's dry. Only use them for the ride in/out and then hunt on foot. Have shot numerous swamp donkeys over the years riding the cutlines and blocks but pretty much only hunt elk now.

MuleyMadness
07-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Front rack U holders. The side boot is bunk. You have to move like a ninja to get it out in time and have a shot, I took mine right off.

I completely agree....unless you are running in extremely greasy conditions or the like, where your rifle is likely to become a molded glob of mud within an hour...then the boot. :)

Singleshotneeded
07-15-2011, 09:55 AM
In the U-grips on the bars if the terrain is smooth and it's not raining, in the boot otherwise...

laredo318
07-15-2011, 10:38 AM
In the U-grips on the bars if the terrain is smooth and it's not raining, in the boot otherwise...

What he said!!

CanuckShooter
07-15-2011, 12:06 PM
I use U-grips on the handlebars, and have another one on the front rack for the 410 or a passengers firearm. At first I had a Kolpin gun boot, but got rid of that after the first time I drove the ATV right up on a grizzly bear on a tight trail..I had a passenger on and couldn't get my hands on my rifle unless I got off the machine. From that day forward it's been the handlebar rack. I have a homemade vinyl gun scabbard that I can put over the rifle in real bad conditions that keeps heavy mud and dust off the rifle.

DWEL
07-16-2011, 08:02 AM
double u grips up on the front rack.

RugDoctor
07-16-2011, 10:56 AM
I just throw my rifle away and buy a new one if it gets dirty.....HA! RZR, so mine goes on the back in a boot. In the Polaris propreitary gun boot, on the Polaris propreitary scabbard.....I know there are options out there and probably cheaper (so I shouldn't bit*h since I'm too lazy to 'hunt' around for a deal).....but Polaris does make a nice boot. This will be my first year with the RZR so I'll see if I'm too fat and slow to actually exit the thing and get a shot off in time.

steelheadSABO
07-16-2011, 11:18 AM
front rack u grips work great unless your worries about getting your gun all muddy and wet dusty dirty. You could always put it in a soft sleeve. Also a scabbard strapped down to the front of your rack works slick.

.300WSMImpact!
07-16-2011, 11:19 AM
I have a safari sling so I carry my gun on me, but when I double with my daughter or girlfriend I put my gun on the handlebar U racks

curt
07-16-2011, 12:38 PM
gun boot is a great idea to keep your rifle out of the mud and shitty weather however I prefer the V brackets on my handlebars very fast access if I need it!

M.Dean
07-16-2011, 02:37 PM
I keep the 10-22 in the rear box, the 300 Mag in the Gun Boot on the side, and I made a couple J hooks out of aluminum rod that I black taped to the windshield bars then covered them with pipe insulation, works great for the 243. Yes, it can be a pain to get your Rifle out of the Gun Boot at times, so what I do quite often is if I'm in Moosey type country, I take the top off the case and have a small bungee cord hooked on the rear gun sling, then pull in tight and hook it onto the gun boot bracket to keep the Rifle from bouncing out, and believe me it can happen! Then I take a good sized plastic bag and tuck it in around the stock so crap can't get on the Rifle, seems to work just fine for me!

IslandHunterBXL
07-16-2011, 04:07 PM
when im traveling i like it slung on my back. but once im in the zone im usually crawling along very slow and i like it sitting across my lap with the action open and shells handy in my front pocket. makes hopping off and loading very fast.