PDA

View Full Version : Which hunt are you most excited about? Why?

BiG Boar
07-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Which hunt for 2011 season are you most excited for and why?

There are all kinds of people, hunting everything from ducks, to caribou, to south african lions.

Name your hunt and tell us what excites you about it.

Steeleco
07-14-2011, 12:40 PM
No plans as yet, my buddy has a moose draw for Oct. BUT, I'm more eager to have my daughter get a bruiser over the Sept long weekend!!

jml11
07-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Caribou in Spatsizi...2+ weeks on horseback with the old man, going to be a great time!!

Doe Eyes
07-14-2011, 12:46 PM
I just cant wait to get out there! Looking forward to my doe in reg. 8....and more on the island....

cloverphil
07-14-2011, 12:46 PM
my elk cow hunt in any buck October in Creston, should be a blast

Mikey Rafiki
07-14-2011, 12:52 PM
First time getting into early bow season for a bull elk here in region 4. Two of the 3 of us now have cross bows.

Also going to Sasky in November for a whitetail for the first time.

Hoping to be burdened by first timers luck.

JohnS
07-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Pretty pumped about my Moose draw for region 4, its a first for me so it should be pretty exciting!

07-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Ohh thats tough,

Moose hunt with my buddy for his bull tag
or
Opener for IBT on a new helli block
or
annual Saltwater duck hunt?

By a slim margin the Moose tag because it is in my mulie area and there is a couple new places i want to check out.

Torch
07-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Well I just moved up to pg in march so this year is super exciting for me...

My first year hunting moose...ever (i can now hunt close to home & on my own property :) )

My first year attempting to hunt elk...

(Hopefully) Attending my first Bison hunt... WOW!

I started hunting last year... :)

I feel VERY fortunate to be living my dream...

yugo111
07-14-2011, 01:22 PM
cougar hunting today at the local pub that should be exciting you guys ever try that?

tomahawk
07-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Bison..........my adult son's first LEH. My partners and I have been on 4 Bison hunts in the last 14 yrs so we have a good base knowledge of where to go and what to look for in this quest for Bull Bison # 4!! This is my son's first LEH and he is pumped, he will get off shift from his job up north and meet us in FSJ, where we will bring the equipment and he'll hop on board. 2 weeks of wall tentin, Bison huntin and friendship around the wood stove, it just don't get any better!!

BiG Boar
07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Its between my stone's sheep hunt and my Roosevelt elk hunt. I would have to pick the Roosevelt because its once in a lifetime. However my Stone is also great because I really believe this is our year and we have done everything we can do to make this happen and we are heavily into this hunt on gear, and time, and preparation.

07-14-2011, 01:41 PM
make sure you bring the rain gear for the Rosie and a bear tag! Yer going to big boar heaven! ha ha

Darksith
07-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Ive spent so much time planning our elk/moose GOS hunt north of pink mountain that I am counting down the minutes until we depart. Never been hunting up that way before, so Im super stoked to check it out. I love getting out with pops, and his brothers, its always too much fun.

moose2
07-14-2011, 02:32 PM
I get pumped about all my hunts , but the one I think about the most is our annual 14 day combo for stones, caribou, moose and goat and this year we have 3 griz tags as well. Then when I get back I will hunt elk , and both species of deer around home in the GOS. The winter months will find me on the hunt for lynx and wolves.
Mike

Barracuda
07-14-2011, 02:35 PM
didnt plan a thing, didnt put in leh, dont have a clue. Thinking a jetboat access only trip might be good?
Goats interest me .

walks with deer
07-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Myself, dad ,and his best freind ,three bull moose tickets for fort st james.
Brand new truck quads and trailers sound more comfy than the old days.

going to try and take a bull with the bow.

Slinky Pickle
07-14-2011, 02:45 PM
cougar hunting today at the local pub that should be exciting you guys ever try that?

Catch and release only I hope!

nwalter
07-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Looking forward to Moose and Elk hunts as I travel back and forth to work the scenic route. Will be hitting regions 5 7A and B while i go between Kelowna and Fort St John

Buck
07-14-2011, 03:16 PM
14+ days in Spatsizi for Sheep ,Goat and Grizz.

madrona sh
07-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Island Blacktails because they are my favourite big game animal. Plus they are really good eating.
Island Black Bears because we have just massive specimens.
I have no luck on LEH so nothing there.

steelheadSABO
07-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Might go on a cougar hunt later this year which im pretty excited about also I think I talked my dad into taking me up to Lillooet for september 1st mulie hunting.

FirePower
07-14-2011, 03:27 PM
We are going back to my brother and sister in law's in Tanzania this year he always makes sure I have a great time and I get points for "taking my wife to see her big sister", which is the ONLY reason I go LOL

sawmill
07-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Same sh!t,different year for me.Take a cow elk,couple of whities around here,get a bunch of firewood up for winter.Maybe a few grouse and some shaggy manes for a lunch.
Baracuda,p.m. me,we`ll set something up.

4 point
07-14-2011, 03:40 PM
I am most excited about any hunt, there all great. Gotta love the BC outdoors anytime. Mule deer is always number 1 followed by looking for that immature moose. And then there is WT's around now so always something to keep you going. Oh yah get a shot at a wolf or two would be nice.

jtred
07-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Everyday I get to hunt is exciting for me. Number 1 is my antlerless elk leh draw for November in zone 4-06/4-07. Like last year I'll take a week off work for that, hopefully it will work out as well. Whitetail hunting until the end, all the while keeping my eyes open for a nice mulie in the early season(can't handle their taste after they begin to rut). Turkey hunting in October. I'm also going to put in more time for duck and goose hunting in the Creston Valley Wildlife Management Area. More grouse and pheasant hunting than last year, hopefully. Once November 30th comes it's time to strap on the snowshoes and hunt for rabbits and coyotes. Also I've been thinking about going for a wolf.

akyne
07-14-2011, 04:44 PM
I guess I'd have to say my early season muley hunt in region 5. If all goes according to plan, I'll be backpacking into the alpine for 10 days looking for the big boys. Even if I come out empty handed, I just can't wait to get out on my own in some truly magnificent country.

new hunter
07-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Deer in the sea to sky {home turf } . Been half trying for three years , equipment and time have been holding me back , but this year I got all my gear plus a new and very accurate 06 , and the wife has different days off than me , so it'll be every weekend in the bush til I kill something with antlers.

Rob
07-14-2011, 05:05 PM
I guess I'd have to say my early season muley hunt in region 5. If all goes according to plan, I'll be backpacking into the alpine for 10 days looking for the big boys. Even if I come out empty handed, I just can't wait to get out on my own in some truly magnificent country.

Pretty much the same as this, except in reg. 3.

jonz
07-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Gonna explore the Chilcotin this fall, never been there before. Will be looking for deer around there and maybe caribou.

.300WSMImpact!
07-14-2011, 05:08 PM
elk hunt, and my Manitoba whitetail trip with family

pg83
07-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Not gonna get out nearly as much as I would like to this year, but gonna do a 2 week trip to our local stomping grounds to drop a goat or two followed by a moose or two with a side of black bear and muley. Can't wait.

rcar
07-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Moose /Elk in the Peace. My first real long distance hunt. I love personal challenges and this one is going to tax me...can't wait......30 days and counting.

Livewire322
07-14-2011, 06:16 PM
i cant wait for my moose LEH in october...
but because im only 17 i will still be able to take advantage of the junior hunt this year for mulies so i think i will get the first that crosses my path. maybe go for a white tail as well.

BromBones
07-14-2011, 06:29 PM
12 days for sheep/goat, and then 12 more for caribou in Sept. Equally pumped for both hunts.

ROEBUCK
07-14-2011, 06:47 PM
My upcoming elk hunt which will be my first in the koots plus some goat scouting

TyTy
07-14-2011, 06:49 PM
10-12 days for goat, mulies and whitetail in 4-25, @ the end of Oct. first backpack hunt. Me and my buddy will be going at em hard, and i already feel we'll have good success.

buck nash
07-14-2011, 06:57 PM
I've promised my friend's 7 year old son I'd take him out this year for some small game hunting (grouse rabbits etc). If the first camping/hunting trip goes well we'll do a 4 day winter camp/hunt in the first week of dec. We'll snowshoe in with sleds and see what we can get. Shold be fun.

OutWest
07-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Well since it's Thursday I'll definitely be heading down to the OK Corral. I've logged quite a few hours of scouting and so, like usual, I'm well prepared for this hunt.

In all seriousness I am very excited for my first Goat hunt in Region 4. However, I don't think anything can compare to our annual Region 8 Elk hunt. Numerous scouting trips have already been made and I've got some great trail cam pics!

digger dogger
07-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Stone's for me, then late season elk with my Son's..

Ghillie
07-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Elk hunting during the GOS and I got a draw with my Dad for late elk in my area. I pick this hunt because the thrill of the chase when hunting a bugling, screaming hard rutting elk is like nothing else! Got really close to bagging a bull last year, but no luck! Hopefully this year I will get my first bull!

savage99f
07-14-2011, 07:44 PM
elk hunt in the kootenays,cant wait im counting the days.

Amphibious
07-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Goat. most fun and hardest hunt I've ever been on. can't wait for this year's season.

springpin
07-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Looking forward to my Goat LEH(first time for goats). But more looking forward to hunting with one of my good buddies who has the same draw. This is his second season, and were both coming out with one(hopefully)

elkeater
07-14-2011, 07:58 PM
elk in my second year hunting. no elk last year but i was close

M.Dean
07-14-2011, 08:03 PM
This year I think the most exciting hunt for me will be with my Grandson, I'd sure like to see him knock down a real nice 4 point, still in velvet, nice high tines,wide bases and good eating! And, I'm really hoping my Daughter gets her license this year, she loves coming out hunting and helping with everything from the glassing to gutting and even the packing, so I'd like to see her take a nice Deer of her own this year too!

Blktail
07-14-2011, 08:16 PM
I am really looking forward to hunting moose during the rut for the first time. We got draws in7-25. 4 of them after years of nothing!

I will be back for the blacktail rut on Saltspring which is ALWAYS exciting!

Deer are way more fun to hunt. I find moose a bit anti-climactic. But very fun none the less.

It's hard to beat still hunting for blacktails in the thick stuff with the odd opening.

gunnie2008
07-14-2011, 08:18 PM
x2
I Think her name was bubbles?

dutchie
07-14-2011, 08:20 PM
I think that is I have to say my Goat. I can hunt hard for 6 months for the right one!

I am hoping that my work schedual will allow me a few more weeks but only time will tell

Dutchie

moosinaround
07-14-2011, 08:24 PM
17 years I have been applying for Bison!! Year 18 "Bazinga" A LEH Bison authourization!!!! So I am super stoked for a Buffalo!! .................................................. ...................But I have a wicked elk hunt planned, Local moose hunting with my son and buddies, and a very wicked rut deer hunt in November!!! A very fun filled and packed hunting season!! Moosin

lorneparker1
07-14-2011, 08:25 PM
i dont have any big game planned. but im going ot be up to something!

So i guess getting out in the salt for harlis is top for me.

kyleklassen
07-14-2011, 08:36 PM
something we've been working on for several years and it seems it all might come together this year i've got 4 guys and 3 good bird dogs lined up for a quail trip into knights inlet, for the oct. 1 opener. thinking of maybe jet boating up the first km or so. of the klinakiini river and taking the first suitable jumping off point to set up camp.....anybody have any info on covey sizes in this area this year.t'would be nice to get our 5 a day.

Moose Guide
07-14-2011, 09:02 PM
I've promised my friend's 7 year old son I'd take him out this year for some small game hunting (grouse rabbits etc). If the first camping/hunting trip goes well we'll do a 4 day winter camp/hunt in the first week of dec. We'll snowshoe in with sleds and see what we can get. Shold be fun.
(You realize he can't shoot anything till he's 10)
Same as every year, Elk till I get one or the season ends!!!

07-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Shared moose draw with the wife and her old man in region 4. Should be great.

David Heitsman
07-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Let's see;

Stone's, grizzly, elk and moose at Stone Mountain, BC first two weeks of Sept.
Big Horn in Montana fourth week of September and first week ofOctober
Desert Mule Deer in Vernon, Utah fourth week of October
Mule Deer, White Tail and Moose in McBride first week of November
Mule Deer in Alberta last week of November
Cougar at Anaheim Lake first week of December
Desert Mule Deer and Coues Deer in Hermosillo, Mexico first week of January 2012

Gonna be a busy fall! This semi retirement thing in the fall is feeling pretty good.

I'll let you know my favourite when they're all over. Would like to get a Grizzly, Bighorn and a Coues for sure to keep whittling away at the "29'".

1/2 slam
07-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Let's see;

Stone's, grizzly, elk and moose at Stone Mountain, BC first two weeks of Sept.
Big Horn in Montana fourth week of September and first week ofOctober
Desert Mule Deer in Vernon, Utah fourth week of October
Mule Deer, White Tail and Moose in McBride first week of November
Mule Deer in Alberta last week of November
Cougar at Anaheim Lake first week of December
Desert Mule Deer and Coues Deer in Hermosillo, Mexico first week of January 2012

Gonna be a busy fall! This semi retirement thing in the fall is feeling pretty good.

I'll let you know my favourite when they're all over. Would like to get a Grizzly, Bighorn and a Coues for sure to keep whittling away at the "29'".

Have I told you that I hate you lately? :mrgreen:

nap
07-14-2011, 09:21 PM
no draws but but a ealy september hunt on the tuchodi, and a tree stand camera shoot in 7 24

rainman
07-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Well I just moved up to pg in march so this year is super exciting for me...

My first year hunting moose...ever (i can now hunt close to home & on my own property :) )

My first year attempting to hunt elk...

(Hopefully) Attending my first Bison hunt... WOW!

I started hunting last year... :)

I feel VERY fortunate to be living my dream...

i envy you you are in the heart of hunting country couple hours any direction can take you to great hunting of alot of species

David Heitsman
07-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Figured I'd throw that in there tonight to rub it in 1/2 Slam! And yes you have expressed your inner feelings about it all lately. Quite eloquently I might add.

moosinaround
07-14-2011, 10:02 PM
i envy you you are in the heart of hunting country couple hours any direction can take you to great hunting of alot of species
Couple Hours??? $hit from his house he is a couple minutes!!! Seconds if it feeds on his wife's geraniums!!! Moosin

Rubberknot
07-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Still have fish on the brain, too early yet to get excited, although reading about some of the hunts you guys have planned definately gets me thinking about big mulies!!:-D

270WIN
07-14-2011, 10:41 PM
my goat draw, then local blacktails.

5 spike
07-15-2011, 04:18 AM
chasing blacktails nothing else like it.

JimmyJ
07-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Goat and Elk hunt with Behemoth and my dad, it will be epic.

ex bc guide
07-15-2011, 12:44 PM
my goat hunt...

CanuckShooter
07-15-2011, 01:04 PM
ELK....7-21....leaving Aug 29th. Ever since we started seriously hunting elk they have always managed to bring on the excitement!! There is absolutely nothing as exciting as being up close to a bugling elk in september.

Caribou_lou
07-15-2011, 01:09 PM
October Archery for Moose in the rut. Nothing like a dead calm -5 morning and having a big bull answer to your cow call.

BCHunterTV
07-15-2011, 01:14 PM
My Goat hunt, one animal I've really wanted.. and was lucky enough to draw a tag for... Next hunt/s, cat hunting.

nature girl
07-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Going to Chetwyn in Sept. to try for a whitetail and see if I can find a elk to.

MichelD
07-16-2011, 01:56 PM
I've been skunked deer hunting two years in a row now. Didn't even see a buck in those two years in days and days of hunting, moslty on foot.

Any chance at a buck from September 1 on I'll be happy with.

Kootenay Nordic Sports
07-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Well I would have to say it will be my first backpack hunt with my son and a friend I grew up with! My son has a goat draw as well as getting up close and personal to some screaming Elk! My Dad and Father in Law will stay in base camp....it should be a EK trip to remember

slyfox
07-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Reg 4 goats and late season whitetails.

.330 Dakota
07-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Grizzly,,,cause they bite

stanway
07-16-2011, 06:04 PM
I am looking forward to my moose draw in September. Every year I try to meet up for a hunt with my Dad and brother-in-law. We always have a great time hanging out together and it's a bonus if we take an animal home.

Then I'll be out every (other) weekend chasing blacktails locally.

Fall is my FAVORITE time of the year.:mrgreen:

James

ElectricDyck
07-16-2011, 06:20 PM
My bro in law and I are heading up to the northern rockies for 2 weeks for a mixed bag hunt the last 2 weeks in august. I'm really looking forward to the scenery, adventure and comradery, can't wait!