PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Caribou

Brambles
08-27-2006, 07:17 AM
I might try and squeeze in a caribou hunt this year and I'm wondering if anyone knows the best time of the season to get a chance at a good bull and what the reason for that time of season. IE Rut, pre-rut, post-rut etc etc..

I've never hunted them before and don't know much about their cycles

Thanks

Brambles

Stone Sheep Steve
08-27-2006, 07:27 AM
My partners and I have taken 4 bulls on Sept 18 and they were all with cows. All were great eating. Any further into the rut and you'll be bringing home a coulpe hundred pounds of liver. I was told to make sure to be there from Sept 16-20 from guys that hunted the area for 10 years. Hunt the cows and the big boys will start to show. Two of our bulls had really white manes, two were creamier colored but they usually get whiter towards late Sept. which I prefer for a mount.

SSS

mainland hunter
08-27-2006, 07:56 AM
later and they taste like liver? thats when id want to hunt em them. double bonus, whiter manes and 200 lbs of liver. mmmmmmmmm

butcher
08-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Brambles, hunt region 6 in mid to late September and you'll do fine. The level mountain area is a good spot to fly into but it gets a bit of pressure.

Brambles
08-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Brambles, hunt region 6 in mid to late September and you'll do fine. The level mountain area is a good spot to fly into but it gets a bit of pressure.

Are there any areas that you can quad into, I'll be gone hunting bighorns until later in September, I might be able to swing the last week or so in Sept but most likely its going to be the beginning to mid October.

What happens to the meat to make it "liver" or is it just like a rutted up mulie, I know with mulies I usually hang them longer to reduce the ruttyness will this same technique work with the caribou?

I'll definitly have to plan different for next year if September is indeed the time to shoot caribou. Any tips on hunting them in October??

Thanks for the help so far, its been very informative.

Brambles

BCrams
08-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Brambles -

If you shoot a bull caribou much later than what SSS said. (Any later than the 20th) ..........and the meat isn't even fit for the dogs. The best marinade in the world won't even help it.

Mid August through the first week or two of September will get you good eating.......

Brambles
08-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Brambles -

If you shoot a bull caribou much later than what SSS said. (Any later than the 20th) ..........and the meat isn't even fit for the dogs. The best marinade in the world won't even help it.

Mid August through the first week or two of September will get you good eating.......

Ah crap, that doesn't sound good:-( I'll definitly be still hunting sheep by the 20th.

Deaddog
08-27-2006, 05:44 PM
I'll second that , shooting a rutted up bull caribou means that you will not have any meat, even the dog would not eat it, go early if you can

bighornbob
08-28-2006, 08:35 AM
I will third or fourth what has been said. A rutted caribou has to be the worst meat out there. Shot a herd bull somewhere around Sept. 16-20 and it was good eating. It was a little tougher then a younger bull taken out of the same heard at the same time but both were good eating.

BHB

mainland hunter
08-28-2006, 08:55 AM
one post says a rut bull tastes like liver the others say it tastes bad. what gives. now i gotta start a poll to see who eats their animals organs

Stone Sheep Steve
08-28-2006, 09:00 AM
A friend that shot one in early Oct told me it tasted like liver. Personally, I've never tasted one shot that late but have heard the same as the rest have stated here. Not fit for dogs.

I always take the heart and most of the time the liver depending how far I have to pack it out.

SSS

mcrae
08-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Brambles

Go next year! I will come with you:) I always wanted to do a bou hunt.

McRae555

shortroot
08-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Had a group of friends take 4 bulls around the 20th of September last year. They shared the meat and there was at least one of the bulls that was unpalatable.

Grizzslayer and I are flying in for 'bou on the 8th, we want to be able to stomach what we shoot. The closer to October you get the greater the chance of a big bull being worth less than dog food. We'll see if we can get a nice one early, we may have to push the eatability factor in the future with a hunt closer to the rut, but it's an early one this year.

Last time I went caribou hunting was August, was almost tempted to shoot a small bull (sexed by the penis sheath, antlers could not prove male/female), so now we'll go later so as to not be tempted by a chance at a small bull.

~T-BONE~
08-28-2006, 05:12 PM
A Angora billy is most comparable to a late season bou. If you've ever been near one you'll know what I mean people can't give them away.:mrgreen:

Stone Sheep Steve
08-29-2006, 07:07 PM
With September on our doorstep I'd thought I'd post a few pics for all you guys heading north to chase bous this year. I know there are guys on this site that have taken some bulls that make ours look pretty average. Hopefully they'll post up.
While not sheep:wink: , they are fun to chase and some live in spectacular, challenging country.
Good luck to those in pursuit.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/01-16-2005083824AM.JPG
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/01-16-2005083924AM.JPG
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/2001caribou.JPG

SSS

Brambles
08-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Awesome bulls, I particularly like the second one, what time of year are those taken in, looks later than Sept 20th????

Stone Sheep Steve
08-29-2006, 07:49 PM
All those bulls were taken on Sept 18th as mentioned earlier in the thread. In 2003 winter reared it's ugly head a little early. Some of the drifts were over our crotches in places.
No gaiters=frozen toes in those conditions. One of my big toes still gives me grief when it gets cold.

SSS

sealevel
08-29-2006, 07:57 PM
I`am not asking for hunting spots. but how far north do you have to go for them bou`s

Stone Sheep Steve
08-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Dease Lk , Telegraph Ck and Tattoga are all good starting points, although no one is flying out of Telegraph anymore(I believe).

SSS

mainland hunter
08-30-2006, 08:07 AM
that second one's a beauty. they're all pretty decent bulls

Stone Sheep Steve
08-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Here's another view of that first bull. He's definitely more impressive from this angle. He's got a really big frame.

http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/JonsCassiarbull-copy-copy.jpg
SSS

talver
08-30-2006, 01:19 PM
WOW some great bulls good job

goathead
08-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Great pics SSS just wondering if anyone has chased bou around atlin suprise lake area.I know its leh but would like to see that part of BC oneday.

GoatGuy
09-01-2006, 03:36 AM
Huntable range starts just north of Ft.St.James. As mentioned the farther north you go the better you are (for the most part). Harbour air has a beaver out of Tatooga - grumpy Bruce out of Dease and Northern Rockies (Bill) out of Watson Lake and also services muncho. Angus air also operates a 185 out of Watson (that bird used to operate out of Telegraph) and Liard air has a beaver and a 185 out of muncho also.

Bulls can be spotted from August on. As mentioned they aren't much for eating after 3rd week of september but mane gets longer etc.,

No real 'secret spots' book bulls are available the whole way up. BC book has lots of good starting points.

In all honesty they should be a second hunt after sheep or even moose if you're going all the way up there. They aren't hard to hunt - if you can spot 'em you can harvest 'em.