PDA

View Full Version : Hiking baby carrier

bcbrez
07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm looking into getting a pack for hiking to put a baby in. What have others used and found to be good? Is anyone selling theirs? Baby is only a few weeks old but I want to do some hikes this fall with him.

Husky7mm
07-13-2011, 11:04 AM
you will need to get one to carry him up front for a while and then a serious one when his neck and body are more ridgid. Look at the hiking, granola cruncher style stores. Cheers

mijinkal
07-13-2011, 11:38 AM
There's one for sale for cheap here: http://www.mec.ca/Apps/outdoorGearSwap/gearswap_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=25343743 02884110&refNo=241048&category_cd=Kids&sub_category_cd=BabyBackpacks

Your kid that's a few months old will be old enough to carry around in one of these. I had one and my kids loved it!
I don't suggest carrying him for a long time in one of the front carriers. Those are back killers!

Beachcomber
07-13-2011, 11:50 AM
We used the same macpac for all three of our children. It was rugged and durable. One of the better features it had was the adjustable length in the back. This made it easy for both my wife and I to use it. It also had a good rain cover and sun shade as well as ample cargo space. Crucially the hip belt was robust so you could crank it down and carry the weight properly rather than strain your shoulders and back. http://www.macpac.co.nz/product-support/child-carriers

Red_Mist
07-13-2011, 08:47 PM
I use a Kelty carrier, picked it up on craigslist. Payed waaay less then buying a new one. Hate paying full price on kids stuff you only use for a while.

Bisonfirst
07-13-2011, 08:58 PM
You shouldn't use the Kelty style until they are fully supporting their own neck. You could seriously hurt the child. We used a baby bijorn style for the first while and then moved to the kelty. Both work great for their intended purpose.

Happy Hiking.

07-13-2011, 09:22 PM
PM sent to you.

gungirl
07-13-2011, 09:26 PM
I got a vaude from wholesale sposrts ( I use it everyday!), but I also love the kelty ones. I agree you need a front one first though.

Peter Pepper
07-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Make sure to tell them your're a hunter if you get that one at MEC that myginkal suggests. Tell 'em you want to teach the bloodlust to you sweet little child! haha Good job taking the baby out though, fresh air makes them sleep though the night!

barry1974w
08-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I placed an add on the EE and got a response for a pack to buy. I got one of the MEC ones, it works really well for the price. The Kelty packs look better, but the MEC pack works just fine. My son will be a year and a half for this season, so I imagine he'll get to log a few more miles in it this year. Hopefully it still pus him to sleep like it did last year. Ten minutes down the trail and he was out. Pretty much every time. It is a bit tough when you try to get off the trails though, retrieving ditch chickens with a big pack on was interesting.