PDA

View Full Version : Elk/Moose and dirtbag partners

Quaz
07-12-2011, 02:51 PM
So earlier I posted asking about hunts for moose/elk up in the northern part of the province. Got good advice, thought about it a little, thought about it some more, stopped thinking about it, discussed it with the old hunting partner and then settled on a jetboat trip up the Tuchodi/Muskwa. I was/am pretty pumped. I don't know the area well but was stoked to see some more of the province and have the oppertunity to fill my freezer while doing it.

Turns out my hunting partner is now "50/50". WTF.

So...I am in a bind. I want to go but it is a tall order to go alone. I have told him to get off the pot and decide within the next day or two.

In other news, if anybody is available Aug 31 (driving up from Victoria/Vancouver 29-30) through to Sept 9 (drive back down the 10-11) and wants to hunt the Tuchodi/Muskwa with a stranger, send me a PM and we can talk.

bighornbob
07-12-2011, 03:12 PM
So earlier I posted asking about hunts for moose/elk up in the northern part of the province. Got good advice, thought about it a little, thought about it some more, stopped thinking about it, discussed it with the old hunting partner and then settled on a jetboat trip up the Tuchodi/Muskwa. I was/am pretty pumped. I don't know the area well but was stoked to see some more of the province and have the oppertunity to fill my freezer while doing it.

So...I am in a bind. I want to go but it is a tall order to go alone. I have told him to get off the pot and decide within the next day or two.

In other news, if anybody is available Aug 31 (driving up from Victoria/Vancouver 29-30) through to Sept 9 (drive back down the 10-11) and wants to hunt the Tuchodi/Muskwa with a stranger, send me a PM and we can talk.

That sucks. If he is 50/50 right now I would say he wont be going. Tell him you need a comittment by this Sunday or you are asking someone else.

BHB

swampthing
07-12-2011, 04:43 PM
You shouldnt have a hard time finding a partner for a trip like that. I heard a story of a hardcore soloist who would drive to the boat launch in his car and backpack. He would wave money at departing boaters to get a lift up. After he shot his elk and moose he would pile the meat on an easy access point on the river and wave money at boaters for a lift out.

nature girl
07-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Quaz maybe your friend just doesnt have the money to go on a trip like that.
Maybe ask him if he needs help to pay for it. It would be better to go on a trip with someone you know then with a stranger. But good luck anyways.

Jelvis
07-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Tell em hey friend, we put our money in envelope now and hide it avay ok? That way with he/she you get a solid commitment. Figure the cost then half it and put both your money in the envelope, seal it and if he changes his or her mind, BAM. Keep the doh!
Jel .. DOH! ..

07blackwater
07-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Find someone else...NOW!

That's too big a trip to plan on a 'maybe' IMHO.

bridger
07-12-2011, 08:17 PM
calling your partner a dirt bag doesn't lead to long hunting partner relationships?

Ride Red
07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Like Nature Girl said maybe he can't afford it, but he needs to man up and give you a yes or no whatever the reason behind it. I've had hunting partners that have changed their mind a few days before going away too which does piss you off, so don't be afraid about being blunt.

Shade Tree
07-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Good hunt'in partners are hard to find, way easier to find a wife. Just sayin.

07blackwater
07-12-2011, 08:58 PM
It's taken me from 10-20 years to train my hunting partners (you know who you are) and they'd be really hard to let go of.

rcar
07-12-2011, 09:20 PM
I used to have a fishing partner like that. A real great guy once we got going but who was most often late and I was always waiting for that phone call a few days before.... Notice I said I "used" to. If you're like me and have 2 or 3 trips that you can go on a year then you have to find a partner who is solid. If this is his first "bail out" then I would cut him some slack. You never know what is really going on that made him make that decision...if this is a pattern...well then it's just beers at the pub once in a while an no more trips. We all spent way too much time planning to have the bottom pulled out.

Bistchen
07-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Hey, atleast your hunting partner isn't an alcoholic like mine. Or is he?

BiG Boar
07-13-2011, 01:36 PM
The perfect hunting partner must be incredibly hard to find. Even my hunting partner this year I am worried might bail on me at the last second. They might even forget about the trip altogether. They're constantly misplacing gear, and seem very unreliable. They're lazy, don't help much at all with the planning, and won't lift a finger when I have shot an animal. They never cover their cost portion of the trip. I have never seen them cut wood with an axe or a chainsaw. They always think they deserve the first crack at a big animal, when I spot it. A lot of mornings they don't even want to get out of bed! However, when its freezing cold outside and when the wind is howling, there aren't any hunting partners I would rather be with than my woman. Probably the best hunting partner I could ever imagine inside of the tent!

Moosehunter64
07-13-2011, 01:53 PM
If he is 50/50 now he is not going.I have gone through that a few times.I have gone through a few partners in my 57 years 40 of those hunting and fishing.Only had one good partner I could rely on and he passed away a few years ago.Had 20 great years hunting with him.Now can`t find a reliable partner so just plan to go it alone.Once you start planing your trip you will find that someone will want to go just make sure your ok to do it alone if they don`t show.

Jelvis
07-13-2011, 02:02 PM
I noticed that if you depend on having a hunting partner every time you hunt, you won't be hunting much, do some on your own and then you can go when and where you want.
If you have to have a partner then get one from this site huntingBC.ca and try it together for a time or two.
Jel .. Right here is the best for hunting BC .. you won't find a better source anywhere.

hunter1947
07-14-2011, 03:03 AM
Talk to your partner and ask why he might not come and tell him it can't be 50/50 you got to know if he is going for sure and to let you know now its ether yes or no if it no then you know where you stand and you still have time to find someone else.

Myself I have never backed out of a hunt at anytime if I say I am going I go ,only thing that will stop me from going is an health issue and I count my blessings that I have never had any health problems over the years ,I wish you good luck on this issue hope all works out at the end for you.

BiG Boar
07-14-2011, 06:23 AM
50/50 is a nice way of telling someone to get ready for bad news, such as, "Do you think he'll make it through this surgery?" "It's fifty fifty."

Its sort of a halfway mark, so they can let you down easy. No one ever comes when its 50/50. Find a new partner immediately.

pnbrock
07-14-2011, 06:38 AM
gonna stick with hunting with my woman ,she is loyal willing to go anywhere any time hunt anything.will sit in rough seas all day no complaining.however my northern buddy would have me drop anything to meet up for a hunt,i know he is all buisness and the hardest worker in the camp ive ever met.not as beutiful as my woman but im ok with it.

abbyfireguy
07-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Put a wig and some lipstick on him and you're good to go!! LOL

smoke-eater
07-14-2011, 09:24 AM

I hope your buddy doesn't come on this site or has friends that come on this site. Calling him a dirtbag for being 50/50 ins't cool.

308Lover
07-14-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm curious. Did you plan this hunt together, or did you dream it up and then ask him to come on board? Sounds like commuinication/money problems, but I wouldn't dump on the guy because of this dream hunt your stoked about. I'll come with you if you pass through PG first, but only pay for gas from here, plus half the rest. Curious to know the cost. Cheers. (PIM me if you like)