PDA

View Full Version : Advice on getting a lake stocked

sobirch
07-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has had any involvement in getting a lake stocked we have a small lake near Houston which has always been a great fishing lake but the last few years there has been no activity, fish jumping out in the lake, catching fish or even spawning activity in the creek in the spring. I am not sure where to start so I wrote a letter to the fresh water fishery society of BC.

Dear Sir/Madame,

I am trying to find information on what action is needed to get a lake stocked. The Lake I am talking about is is Silverthorn lake near Houston BC in the Skeena region. Historically this lake has been an excellent fishing lake, but for the past three years I do not know anyone who has caught a fish out of it., I have been up there numerous time this year and last year and have not seen a single fish jump or any sign of spawning fish at the outlet creek. Every year we would see numerous fish at the outlet creek but have not for a couple years. The lake level has not dropped, the aquatic bugs in the lake are unbelievable which is why the fish used to be so big. The fish in the lake were rainbows that would get to over 5 pounds, great sport on the fly rod. This lake is in the Houston Community Forest, has a great campsite, road access is very good and there are cross country ski trails so there would year round fishing happening if there was fish in there. It is a great family destination which would be used by local people and tourist a like. I believe this lake for the reasons above should be looked at and stocked more then other lakes in the area which are to far out, have limited access due to road conditions which require 4x4 or have private property around most of the lake

I look forward to hearing your response and I am personally willing to do what is needed at my end to get the ball rolling to get this lake stocked.

Thank You,

Okay so this is where I am at, anybody else have any positive actions the think will help my cause.

MillBay
07-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Sent a note to the boys at BC Outdoors they may know. I see them on there fishing show with Brian Chan who use to be the President of the BC Fresh water fishing society.